Can a sub be damaged because box too big?

95lincdog

Senior VIP Member
I just read the thread below about the 2 12s with one blown. I have 2 15s in a shared chamber custom box, 34hz, one of my 15s blew the other day and I'm running the one still in the huge box. Is that bad for my sub? I left the blown one in to seal it. I also threw a sleeping bag in the box to take up room. Doesn't sound that great

I just read the thread below about the 2 12s with one blown. I have 2 15s in a shared chamber custom box, 34hz, one of my 15s blew the other day and I'm running the one still in the huge box. Is that bad for my sub? I left the blown one in to seal it. I also threw a sleeping bag in the box to take up room. Doesn't sound that great
Yes the good sub will unload and blow eventually.either build another box or fix the other sub

Yes the good sub will unload and blow eventually.either build another box or fix the other sub
The magnet was smoking on the one that blew, the cone is stuck, u can't push it in or out. Is that fixable? What do I need to fix it?

The magnet was smoking on the one that blew, the cone is stuck, u can't push it in or out. Is that fixable? What do I need to fix it?
you need all the soft parts reconed

dont run the single 15 in that box by itself, or you'll end up paying for two subs to get fixed..

the sleeping bag will make the box seem bigger if its made of any type of thick cloth

I think it is def possible to blow. Now that one has blown, it has turned into a gigantic box and the tuning is probably way off now. It'll bottom out very easily too so you should put your gains really low for now until you get the sub replaced. Or maybe think about getting entirely new subs that can handle the job better. Stuffing random things in box only works with sealed boxes. With ported, it throws everything off, making it sound like crap.

Did you clip your sub to death? Did you set your subsonic filter correctly?

Cool thanks guys. What's a reasonable price for a shop/store to fix it?
are the kicker CVR's in your sig what you're running?

if so you honestly would be better off buying new, the cost to recone + ship is probably over $100 and they're $170 new on amazon

call kicker tech support, they offered me a discount when i had one of my CVT's blow but amazon still beat their price so i bought it from amazon for like $80 lol

I think it is def possible to blow. Now that one has blown, it has turned into a gigantic box and the tuning is probably way off now. It'll bottom out very easily too so you should put your gains really low for now until you get the sub replaced. Or maybe think about getting entirely new subs that can handle the job better. Stuffing random things in box only works with sealed boxes. With ported, it throws everything off, making it sound like crap.
Did you clip your sub to death? Did you set your subsonic filter correctly?
The wires to one sub from the amp came loose. One sub was getting all the juice from the amp that was tuned to run at one ohm, the sub being at 2 ohms....so yea I guess clipped it to death. And yea it is the cvrs in my sig. I was also thinking it might not be worth reconing/fixing. There's a reconing shop near me but they're closed today. I guess tomoro I'll see about price fixing vs replacing

Yes, but also every thread you make.
Yes, subs can become damaged if the box is too big and they reach their mechanical limits.

So one of your subs blew. You left it in and kept using the box after you tossed in a sleeping bag.... then wonder why it sounds like garbage

Wiring your Kickers and the DC all up?? That one was my fav

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/wiring-electrical-installation-help/613758-best-way-wire-3-subs-2-amps.html
Well sorry I don't know as much as you do about car audio. Isn't this forum where people ask questions and learn?

at least hes trying to learn, sounds like he was fed a lot of ******** by people who thought they knew car audio when in reality they didnt.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.