Big-time customer/ Big time problem

this is exactly what i was thinking

---------- Post added at 02:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 AM ----------

Set your meter to measure AC, start the car, measure AC voltage at the main battery under the hood. If your measured AC voltage is greater than .7 volts with the car running, it is an alternator problem! Probably a rectifier diode going bad. Most of the Fords I owned over the years were known for having pathetic alternators that bled out excessive AC voltage.
While in theory, your batteries should filter this out, many times a capacitor will take care of a good bit of the ac ripple let out by the Ford alternator.
+1

Set your meter to measure AC, start the car, measure AC voltage at the main battery under the hood. If your measured AC voltage is greater than .7 volts with the car running, it is an alternator problem! Probably a rectifier diode going bad. Most of the Fords I owned over the years were known for having pathetic alternators that bled out excessive AC voltage.
While in theory, your batteries should filter this out, many times a capacitor will take care of a good bit of the ac ripple let out by the Ford alternator.
Thanks, fixing to try this out

Exactly what kind of capacitor are you talking about?

for an alternator to work it internaly produces equal amounts of positive and negative electricity as the windings spin around the electro magnet - this positive and negative energy are collected seperately in the rectifier board contaning 3 diods that catch negative electrical energy being produced and send it on the path to ground in the viechle - while the other 3 diods on the rectifier board collect the positive electricity being generated and send that out the charge terminal on the back of the alternator.

sometimes the diode in the rectifier board can go bad over time - and heavy use and stop fully filtering out what they are suposed to - and start letting some leak past them. this is a main problem with most common types of alternators - and why the big hype now is the "hair pin" or 6 phase alternator - because they use 6 diode to catch positive and 6 diode to catch negative and send them on their propper paths. makes sence that more can handle a better load over a period of time with less fitigue on the unit it self.... and that is why i have purchaced a singer 320 amp hair pin alternator - and its been awesome !

hope all this makes sence - post if your still not shure

Exactly what kind of capacitor are you talking about?
The stiffening capacitor that everyone loathes on most forums will stop the AC ripple injected into the power line. While I question their use as a storage device to deliver instantaneous energy when the charging system runs out of juice, they are great at filtering out AC ripple in the +12v wire. I've installed them at the amps and I have used smaller home made capacitors at the HU to filter out the power wire transmitted noise. After owning four Ford vehicles, I had to learn to live with the limitations of the factory alternator.

Then again, my 2006 Mustang GT didn't produce excessive AC voltage, but it had a custom built alternator in it!

for an alternator to work it internaly produces equal amounts of positive and negative electricity as the windings spin around the electro magnet - this positive and negative energy are collected seperately in the rectifier board contaning 3 diods that catch negative electrical energy being produced and send it on the path to ground in the viechle - while the other 3 diods on the rectifier board collect the positive electricity being generated and send that out the charge terminal on the back of the alternator.
sometimes the diode in the rectifier board can go bad over time - and heavy use and stop fully filtering out what they are suposed to - and start letting some leak past them. this is a main problem with most common types of alternators - and why the big hype now is the "hair pin" or 6 phase alternator - because they use 6 diode to catch positive and 6 diode to catch negative and send them on their propper paths. makes sence that more can handle a better load over a period of time with less fitigue on the unit it self.... and that is why i have purchaced a singer 320 amp hair pin alternator - and its been awesome !

hope all this makes sence - post if your still not shure
Thanks man very helpful

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.