Go big or go BIG with DIRAC on DSP?

Participant count
  • Participant list
I have been fairly lucky that my hearing is still really pretty decent compared to most around me that I still usually tune by ear. Ive been doing it that way for years. Its never perfect or precise, but to my liking, and generally sound fine for me

Last edited:
Wow, kinda baffled here.

Once you get the tune right.
You don’t need to mess with it. However,
A bad tune you will.
You may have different type tunes for different reasons, based on location, driver, passenger, different curves or tastes to tune to, and so on.

A dsp is only part of the whole.

An rta and a calibrated mic is what tells you is happening in the car. You may well already know all this.

The dsp tunes it, as best as possible.
Rinse and repeat, it’s not rocket science, but it’s not a cakewalk, acoustics is a complex subject, car acoustics an order of magnitude more so.

Some issues cannot be fixed, some issues definitely don’t get fixed with the EQ. Knowing the differences only comes with study , time, and understanding.

If you don’t have time to learn, pay someone to do this, ask them what dsp they recommend. And take that advice.

I tune fairly well, but if I know a guy is better than me, and many are, I will pay him to tune, and can A B the tunes and learn from the experience, and I have been In acoustics work over 40 years now. Still learning.

It will never be perfect, but a modern dsp will give you the best shot at getting the tune right.
If you constantly have to adjust things, something is wrong, and an rta will tell what is wrong, if you know how to interpret the data.

Yes a lessor complicated system is way more easy. But only for the short term, you will forever be adjusting things.

Again a good tune you will not, get the tune right one time, and it’s done. May take many tunes to get to that place, but once you do, it’s over. Doesn’t matter if it’s classical, metal, country, gothic whatever, it all works.

The more you spend on the dsp the more tools you have to work with.

Some now include all pass filters , to deal with phase issues, and built in rta’s.
Ways to correct the input signals. And other cool stuff. Even amps with dsp and rtas . Cool “ all in ones”
that make installs Very clean.

But even basic dsp, filters, eq, gain, phase, will do a lot more than just a basic eq will, and do so much more quietly.

For dsp to work properly, you really need an all active system. A passive crossover in the mix will only drag the whole system down. And really limit ability to tune.

Or I could be completely wrong here….and just made all this up? And am trolling you.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...