Is my wiring big enough?

Participant count
  • Participant list

lliamiskool

CarAudio.com Recruit
Hi all, I am upgrading my amp! I current have a sound ordinance T B-8PTD with 10 gauge power wire, and I just bought a Urban UX-2075 (a 400W max amp) and a 250 RMS watt MTX sub. Is my existing 10 gauge wiring good enough for this amp? I don't want to draw too much current from the wire and can replace with a thicker wire if I need to, but would rather avoid it. Thanks!

Great use, thanks. But my main question was would that make the amp too close to the sub?
It should be just fine with 1500rms or less on a 15-10" single sub.. I think you will get more vibration issues with poor shocks and most deff the poor roads we deal with these days. Placing it next to the sub box will usually be ok. Though depends on the amount of power and sub/subs and distance,and if a port is used and not directly blowing on it that I wouldnt like that myself.?

BookMarked!! LOL,Nice find.!! I was even looking at Recoil kits for some
And check these out too.

REAL 4 gauge sleeve crimp spade that will fit on a standard amp (power/ground input or distribution strip). I just used them on a Taramps, no modification is needed. Not a common need but when you do need it, nice to know they are actually out there.

And check these out too.

REAL 4 gauge sleeve crimp spade that will fit on a standard amp (power/ground input or distribution strip). I just used them on a Taramps, no modification is needed. Not a common need but when you do need it, nice to know they are actually out there.

Ive used those quite a bit in the past. got to crimp the piss out of them to hold or solder them

And check these out too.

Also got to check the length of the spade ends to see if they will be long enough to reach inside the terminal without butting up against the end to make a secure contact and wide enough. Thats why I like using ferrules for most of my amp connections and heat shrink. Pretty easy and really solid connections. Once I started using these, I got pretty much away from crimping other terminals unless I needed too

Amazon product ASIN B07R6T4H7W

Ive used those quite a bit in the past. got to crimp the piss out of them to hold or solder them
Yeah, me too. For some items like some of the Taramps and old school stuff, not too many options. I was just happy these worked great with no modification! Most of the spades I found were too wide, these are snug but slide right in (that's what she said!)
I'm a big fan of using solder in most cases, but not on wire thicker than 8AWG as one tends to melt or char everything! I grew up brazing bike frames so I know how, just don't see any benefit with the big wire gauges. I use a bench-mounted vise or my 22" compound crimping tool, crunch the shiz out of them, heat shrink the exposed portion, and slip the nice colored jacket over my handiwork, DONE!

Last edited:
I use ferrules on all the power and ground receptacle-type connections. 8/10 speaker wire yes, 20-12 gauge not so much (I can be lazy and the OCD in me wants to heat-shrink anything that has a ferrule on it!). But yeah, I have a couple of crimp guns, a really BIG 22" long large gauge compound crimp tool, a large gauge cutting tool, a several soldering iron(s) (types too), all just for connecting stuff. This way if it doesn't get done right, no one else to blame.

I use ferrules on all the power and ground receptacle-type connections. 8/10 speaker wire yes, 20-12 gauge not so much (I can be lazy and the OCD in me wants to heat-shrink anything that has a ferrule on it!). But yeah, I have a couple of crimp guns, a really BIG 22" long large gauge compound crimp tool, a large gauge cutting tool, a several soldering iron(s) (types too), all just for connecting stuff. This way if it doesn't get done right, no one else to blame.
I will still find the blame..Bad tool, cheap connectors, junk wire..LOL 🤣 🤣 I didnt have enough B12 this morning is my favorite

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...