Small vs Big Box for SQL12

Participant count
  • Participant list

Blackout67

CarAudio.com Regular
Ohio
Saw that SI was running a 40% sale on their SQL series and I snatched one up real fast. It's on the way now and I wanted to get people's opinions on which box spec spec sounds the best

It's recommended .65-1 cubes sealed
And the ported one is like 1.6 tuned to 24hz

So definitely not using that ported spec. But for the sealed spec, to the people who have used the SQL12, which sealed spec did you go with and why?

I also have a box 1.75 tunes to 36hz I think 28 square inches of port area, calculated displacement matched for the SQL. Any ways this might sound good?

Saw that SI was running a 40% sale on their SQL series and I snatched one up real fast. It's on the way now and I wanted to get people's opinions on which box spec spec sounds the best

It's recommended .65-1 cubes sealed
And the ported one is like 1.6 tuned to 24hz

So definitely not using that ported spec. But for the sealed spec, to the people who have used the SQL12, which sealed spec did you go with and why?

I also have a box 1.75 tunes to 36hz I think 28 square inches of port area, calculated displacement matched for the SQL. Any ways this might sound good?
I'm running the 15' in the recommended sealed box size 2cuft each...they sound great in the small box...

That ported box is tuned high at 36hz and honestly kinda wastes the sql's ability to dig deep with authority imo...I think a box tuned around 24-28hz would put you in the happy place with it...or run it sealed in a 1cuft or so on 1200-1500w and it'll dig deep and clean

You got a great sub...it'll get loud and sound awesome doing it 🥳

Last edited:
I'm running the 15' in the recommended sealed box size 2cuft each...they sound great in the small box...

That ported box is tuned high at 36hz and honestly kinda wastes the sql's ability to dig deep with authority imo...I think a box tuned around 24-28hz would put you in the happy place with it...or run it sealed in a 1cuft or so on 1200-1500w and it'll dig deep and clean

You got a great sub...it'll get loud and sound awesome doing it 🥳
Is it ok to run it at that power? I've seen a lot of posts and comments on YouTube of the owner telling everyone to stick at 1k and no higher.

I have a Sundown SIA 2500 that puts out 2k RMS @ 4 ohms which is what it'll be wired to. Overkill, I know but it's what I have laying around from previous builds

Is it ok to run it at that power? I've seen a lot of posts and comments on YouTube of the owner telling everyone to stick at 1k and no higher.

I have a Sundown SIA 2500 that puts out 2k RMS @ 4 ohms which is what it'll be wired to. Overkill, I know but it's what I have laying around from previous builds
I got my 2 15's on a smart 3k...there's a guy on diyma running 2 12's on a 4k (hes got them sealed too)...unless you're running a lot of test tones through it I'd think you'd be fine...I play a lot of techmaster peb on mine full tilt (especially when the kiddo hops in with her hearing protection on 🥰) for a track or two at a time with no issues and I've been running mine for about 9 months or so..if you decide to go ported then be a bit more conservative on your gain setting...big thing (like with any sub if you decide to push it for giggles) is just pay attention and back down the volume if hear any signs of trouble or start smelling anything

Last edited:

Here's a video of sql's getting abused and taking it 😂

Yea I don't think I'll be throwing anything like that too it lmao. I think I'll be happy either way I decide to go but I'm just excited thinking bout it. I don't even have the money to commission the box yet I need to sell so other **** first

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...