Is my wiring big enough?

Participant count
  • Participant list

lliamiskool

CarAudio.com Recruit
Hi all, I am upgrading my amp! I current have a sound ordinance T B-8PTD with 10 gauge power wire, and I just bought a Urban UX-2075 (a 400W max amp) and a 250 RMS watt MTX sub. Is my existing 10 gauge wiring good enough for this amp? I don't want to draw too much current from the wire and can replace with a thicker wire if I need to, but would rather avoid it. Thanks!

30 amp fuse on the new amp and a 15 amp fuse on the SO setup. I would not recommend running mismatched subwoofers though.

wire.jpg

Last edited:
30 amp fuse on the new amp and a 15 amp fuse on the SO setup. I would not recommend running mismatched subwoofers though.

View attachment 52914
The old sub was a powered enclosure. I'm reading it they are getting rid of that, and just want to keep the wire.

OP, yeah use the chart. If that's a 30 amp fuse on the amp, and the run from battery to amp is no more than 10 feet (which it's probably more), then the chart says you're good. Your new amp has more power. I would personally rather spend the $10-$20 for a 4ga run and be good.

Awesome, thanks for the replies. Yes, I’m removing the powered sub and installing a sub and amp. The fuse on the amp is 30 and the wire goes from the battery to the trunk in my 2012 Chevy sonic so I’m just about 10 feet. So it looks like if I don’t upgrade my wiring, I’m maxing it out. I’ll sleep on it

Follow up question, does anyone here know what kind of connector I need for this on my sub? Sorry I’m new at this haha.

Attachments

• IMG_9046.jpeg
    IMG_9046.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
Figured I’d ask this question here because you guys have all the answers…is there any downside to mounting my amp directly above or next to my sub? I want to mount the amp on the back of my back seat and the sun bracketed to the backseat directly next to it

Awesome, thanks for the replies. Yes, I’m removing the powered sub and installing a sub and amp. The fuse on the amp is 30 and the wire goes from the battery to the trunk in my 2012 Chevy sonic so I’m just about 10 feet. So it looks like if I don’t upgrade my wiring, I’m maxing it out. I’ll sleep on it
Its worth the $60 bucks for upgrading your electrical. You may even have enough to do the Big3 with the 4ga left over

Follow up question, does anyone here know what kind of connector I need for this on my sub? Sorry I’m new at this haha.
Yes you can use Bannana Plugs, and you can unscrew the caps and there should be a hole to run bare wire through and tighten those back down. I just use 12ga or 10ga speaker wire on those. Try to use 100% OFC rather than Tinned or CCA speaker wire.

Figured I’d ask this question here because you guys have all the answers…is there any downside to mounting my amp directly above or next to my sub? I want to mount the amp on the back of my back seat and the sun bracketed to the backseat directly next to it
Placing an amplifier on the back seats , I would recommend that you use at least 4 -5 washers to get the amp off the surface to get some air circulation to dissipate heat and or a couple 1/2" wood strips /one on each side under the amps mounting holes

Its worth the $60 bucks for upgrading your electrical. You may even have enough to do the Big3 with the 4ga left over

Yes I think you’re right

Placing an amplifier on the back seats , I would recommend that you use at least 4 -5 washers to get the amp off the surface to get some air circulation to dissipate heat and or a couple 1/2" wood strips /one on each side under the amps mounting holes
Great use, thanks. But my main question was would that make the amp too close to the sub?

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...