im a little confused .. setting amps .

Participant count
  • Participant list

big scott

blazin low, and loud
edgewood, md
hi guys,

i have read and watched vids on setting your amp. and i see everybody seems to use a different test tone. i have seen some use 40 hz so use 60 hz this is for setting sub amps.

does it really matter if i use 40 or 50 or 60 hz ??

also if you amp can produce more power then it says what do you do ?

like my 4ch amp is 100 rms per ch. but was told it will do like 125-150 per channel.

do you set it for 100 rms ?

and yes for right now im just going to set it with my ddm . next month im getting a o-scope .

also what freq. should i use for my front stage amp ? its powering my 6.5 and tweeters.

was just reading when doing a amp powering mids use a 1000 hz test tone. well what do i use for my tweeter side of my 4ch amp. also this amps has 2 gain pots 1 for ch1-2 and 1 for ch 2-3.

sorry guys but the more i read the more im confused.

Depending on where your vehicle peaks at, i'd go with 40 or 50 tone, not a 60hz tone. Better yet, get a 45hz tone, thats where most of the bass is at with most songs.

If your amp produces more power and its not killing your voltages then great. Just monitor how hot things get and adjust it accordingly. See how your subs handle the power before making assumptions of "oh this is too much power for them"

is there any test i can do to see were my truck peaks ?

ok but would i set my 4ch amp thats powering my front stage (2 pro 6.5's for now. and 2 tweeter ) i have the tweeters on 2 channels and the mids on the other 2 channels.

so use a 1000 hz tone for that 4 ch amp ?

ok ill use a 45 hz for my sub amp.

also like i asked the 4ch is rated under so do i set it for what its rated at or ?? see i have heard this amp is under rated but im not 100% sure.

also you say watch the temps. is there a max temp for amps ? what should i consider " hot "i have a temp gun .
No idea what the temperature should be, normally we just use our hands, as long as its not getting uncomfortably hot to the touch after 5-10 minutes of playing, then your fine. Make sure you do the test again on hot summer days, because outside temperature does affect your amp's cooling abilities.

ok great. ill keep an eye out for temps. see right now its hooked up the 4ch but i do have the gain somewhat low. as i want to ddm it . then nest month when i get a o-scope ill go throw my system to make sure all is good. that why i can fine tune if needed .

so should i do 1k tone on my 4ch ? as there are 2 sides to this amp. meaning i have ch 1-2 and ch 3-4 and both have a gain. i have 1 and 2 for mids and the other 2ch on my tweeters.

so i was thinking that i need different tones to set each half of that amp. or am i thinking wrong ?

sorry this is my first 4ch amp and one with 2 gains . just not sure how to tune it.

Amps imo shouldn't ever get hot to the touch. I set my gains by ear and have never had an issue. Now that I am breaking 150's I find it much harder to judge distortion though lmao. I figure as long as the sub isn't getting hot and the amps stay cool/warm I am good haha. Tweeters are what I find the hardest to judge by ear though. But if in doubt use the ddm or buy one of those overpriced smd products

not tring to thread jack but it might help you too sowhat if after 20-30 min of play an amp is hot enough to fry an egg on it
IMO is ether a crap amp or your pushing to hard. back off the gain some. maybe your running at to low of ohms per channel.

is this a 2/4ch amps or mono amp ?

what brand is it.

what ohm are you running to the amp ?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.