2003 Civic Sedan - Looking for 150

Yes I meant .25ohm per amp, you can't unpause burp, you have to slowly roll up the volume. I did that with 4 old AQ3500's on 3 junk batts and got decent numbers before protecting. Watch vid to see how slowly I rolled up the volume...not pretty but it worked.
NICE! What's your setup?

I still feel better about .5 per amp though. Much lower and I get a little nervous.

One of the classes I run in is power limited, so I've got to whittle the power down while still getting score up. Supposedly there's a guy that's about to get in that class doing 51's on under 2500 watts. Time for me to start working on efficiency...

Another show, another 2 first place wins. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Power limited is all about box efficiency and efficient subs, don't be afraid to try diff subs....

Vid is my daily beater...2 HDC4 15's in a daily box that does decent numbers on lots of power.

Stuck on DC right now. Of the 2 dealers in town, the only one worth a **** sells primarily DC stuff. I'm currently #1 in that class so far, so I'm not doing terrible at the moment.

Just reconed yesterdat so I can run .5 ohm per amp. That won't do me any good in the clamped power class, but it should do a good bit better in the outlaw class.

It's significantly louder to the ear...and the amps are making enough power now that it allowed me to bottom out the sub (playing ABOVE tuning). Ugh. That's not what I wanted to do with a brand new recone. Checked the coil with a bore scope and it appears it didn't hurt the coil....just barely kissed the bottom plate. Shrinking the size of the box by 1/4 cube tomorrow to hopefully prevent that from happening again.

My termlab clamp came in last week, so I'll be playing with it this weekend. Hopefully I'll be able to squeeze out a 47ish and stay under 2500 watts. Hope to see close to a 149 on unlimited power, and a 151ish outlaw. We shall see...

Transmission back in the car so now I can get back to the fun stuff.

Stained the box today. Still haven't checked to see if it'll fit into the trunk assembled, or if I'm going to have to assemble it in the trunk, but I think the latter is going to be the case. Will know for sure tomorrow, and it'll be in the trunk then regardless.
Sorry for the pic quote, but I love the stain finish on the box, exactly what I am trying to achieve, any insight as to the process you used?

Stuck on DC right now. Of the 2 dealers in town, the only one worth a **** sells primarily DC stuff. I'm currently #1 in that class so far, so I'm not doing terrible at the moment.
Just reconed yesterdat so I can run .5 ohm per amp. That won't do me any good in the clamped power class, but it should do a good bit better in the outlaw class.

It's significantly louder to the ear...and the amps are making enough power now that it allowed me to bottom out the sub (playing ABOVE tuning). Ugh. That's not what I wanted to do with a brand new recone. Checked the coil with a bore scope and it appears it didn't hurt the coil....just barely kissed the bottom plate. Shrinking the size of the box by 1/4 cube tomorrow to hopefully prevent that from happening again.

My termlab clamp came in last week, so I'll be playing with it this weekend. Hopefully I'll be able to squeeze out a 47ish and stay under 2500 watts. Hope to see close to a 149 on unlimited power, and a 151ish outlaw. We shall see...
who else is there in town besides radioactive?

Sorry for the pic quote, but I love the stain finish on the box, exactly what I am trying to achieve, any insight as to the process you used?
It's stupid easy. Easier than painting.

The stain came from Lowe's hardware. Don't remember the brand of the stain, but the color is "Ebony".

Apply with a foam brush, let sit for a couple minutes, wipe off with a rag. If you want it darker, do the process again. I was very pleased with how it came out.

Updates and (lack of) progress report...

Shrunk the box by a 1/4 cube hoping it'd stop the sub from bottoming out. It did not. May shrink another 1/4 later. For now I'm just being very cautious with the bass knob.

Aside from bottoming out, the recone, being that I'm now wired to .5 ohms per amp, made it sound like a completely different car. To the ear, it sounds like I added an additional sub. The meter was not happy with me today though...

As noted previously, I've got a 8 inch port for metering, and a 6 inch for daily. Both are adjustable. Metered the car today, and with the 8 inch port, it gained .3 outlaw, and LOST 1 FULL FREAKING DB SEALED!!! I would have thought it'd have gained AT LEAST 1 full db...not lost it.

Played around with the 8 inch port, and the meter just hated it. Threw the 6 inch port back in, disgusted with it, and metered it with that in there just for $hits and giggles to see what it'd do. Previously, it'd meter around 1 db less than the 8 inch. Apparently shrinking the box 1/4 cube, now it loves the 6 inch. Without adjusting the port at all, setup at my daily tuning (around 33hz), it picked up .5 db compared to the 8 inch numbers for today. I shortened it as much as I could (more on this in a sec), and it jumped up to what it'd previously do with the 8 inch. Outlaw it's way off, but sealed is the same as my previous best. I'm certain it'd pick up even more, but one of the extensions, I glued together....so I've got to order another 6 inch and do some more playing with it.

The good news is, under 2500 watts, I got a gain compared to the 8 inch port. It'll do a 147.0 at 2300 watts. Last show I did, it did a 145.5 with the same power. With the 8 inch port, it currently does a 46.8 at 3000 watts. So I DID gain a little efficiency, and it gained on the ear-o-meter. Both of which are good. But I still want to get my peak numbers up. Hoping I can get a 49 sealed out of it, and hopefully I'll be able to do get a 51 outlaw. We'll see.

Upgrading the front stage some as well. Picked up a set of Crescendo PWX 6.5's and some Crescendo STS-1 tweeters. Having door pods built from them the week after next. I'm sure it still won't be up to par for the sub stage, but it should still help some.

It's stupid easy. Easier than painting.
The stain came from Lowe's hardware. Don't remember the brand of the stain, but the color is "Ebony".

Apply with a foam brush, let sit for a couple minutes, wipe off with a rag. If you want it darker, do the process again. I was very pleased with how it came out.

Miniwax_Wood_Fin_4de80a4b5e434.jpg

Updates and (lack of) progress report...
Shrunk the box by a 1/4 cube hoping it'd stop the sub from bottoming out. It did not. May shrink another 1/4 later. For now I'm just being very cautious with the bass knob.

Aside from bottoming out, the recone, being that I'm now wired to .5 ohms per amp, made it sound like a completely different car. To the ear, it sounds like I added an additional sub. The meter was not happy with me today though...

As noted previously, I've got a 8 inch port for metering, and a 6 inch for daily. Both are adjustable. Metered the car today, and with the 8 inch port, it gained .3 outlaw, and LOST 1 FULL FREAKING DB SEALED!!! I would have thought it'd have gained AT LEAST 1 full db...not lost it.

Played around with the 8 inch port, and the meter just hated it. Threw the 6 inch port back in, disgusted with it, and metered it with that in there just for $hits and giggles to see what it'd do. Previously, it'd meter around 1 db less than the 8 inch. Apparently shrinking the box 1/4 cube, now it loves the 6 inch. Without adjusting the port at all, setup at my daily tuning (around 33hz), it picked up .5 db compared to the 8 inch numbers for today. I shortened it as much as I could (more on this in a sec), and it jumped up to what it'd previously do with the 8 inch. Outlaw it's way off, but sealed is the same as my previous best. I'm certain it'd pick up even more, but one of the extensions, I glued together....so I've got to order another 6 inch and do some more playing with it.

The good news is, under 2500 watts, I got a gain compared to the 8 inch port. It'll do a 147.0 at 2300 watts. Last show I did, it did a 145.5 with the same power. With the 8 inch port, it currently does a 46.8 at 3000 watts. So I DID gain a little efficiency, and it gained on the ear-o-meter. Both of which are good. But I still want to get my peak numbers up. Hoping I can get a 49 sealed out of it, and hopefully I'll be able to do get a 51 outlaw. We'll see.

Upgrading the front stage some as well. Picked up a set of Crescendo PWX 6.5's and some Crescendo STS-1 tweeters. Having door pods built from them the week after next. I'm sure it still won't be up to par for the sub stage, but it should still help some.
at least yours sounds better, i spent way to much time cutting port off my box and made it 1.93 cf sealed other day of course mine is 1/2 as loud as it was.. i probably put it in my new prefab 1.63 cf 35hz box next week, thats would actually sound good with twice the power.. but what i heard bout your story is u will be giving me some nice coax speakers soon?

at least yours sounds better, i spent way to much time cutting port off my box and made it 1.93 cf sealed other day of course mine is 1/2 as loud as it was.. i probably put it in my new prefab 1.63 cf 35hz box next week, thats would actually sound good with twice the power.. but what i heard bout your story is u will be giving me some nice coax speakers soon?
So you put a single 12 in nearly a 2 cube sealed box? That's enough sealed space for some 15's. I'm sure it did lose output. You really should quit d!cking around and just pay up for a custom box. How much money have you spent in prefabs that didn't make you happy so far? A custom box around here is in the ballpark of $250, and I'd bet a paycheck it'd sound better and louder than any prefab you can buy.

As for the coaxials, I've had 3 people try to buy them from me, and my wife said she wants them. Take a guess at who's getting them? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.