2003 Civic Sedan - Looking for 150

Alt finally came in, and I got it installed!

Which allowed me to finally swap out the Level 4 for the XL I've been sitting on for a few weeks. XL on the left.

Hard to really tell in the pic, but the XL is significantly larger than the Level 4. 20 or 21 pound heavier motor iirc.

Got a .8db gain sealed, and .4 gain outlaw.

Ordered another DC 2.0k amp which should be here this week sometime, but I'll probably wait till after the next two show's (in April) before I add the amp. Good chance I'll do another box before I add the amp.

New box. Early testing shows a .3 gain over the original box. More testing to be done once my other ports and adjustment stuff comes in for it. The port shown is a 8 inch box, and tuned at 46hz. Will have some adjustment....extensions?...coming in for it this week. Also have a 6 inch port coming in for daily.

Also picked up a Termlab of my own last week. Tired of having to work around my buddies schedule to use his TL.

Doing a 30 second musical average, the car does 144.3, which is good enough for me to be competitive in another class in NSPL.

New box is in the car, and I added a second 2k amp.

Did 147.22 sealed on the dash, and 149.23 in the kick with the window down. Very pleased so far. Will be ordering a recone tomorrow so I can run the amps strapped at 1 ohm (.5 ohm per amp). Hoping this will get a 148 sealed and a 150 in the kick.

The port installed on the box in the picture is tuned around 46hz, and is what I'll use for metering at shows. My daily port is a 6 inch port and significantly longer, bringing tuning down to around 33ish. Doesn't meter worth a crap with the 6 inch port, but that's ok.

Yeah, I realized that after I replied. My mistake. Tips and advice are welcome for sure, but wasn't asking for it at this time.
Enclosure was around $250.

New enclosure design was done by CAF, and a carpenter friend of mine is cutting everything out for me. I'll assemble myself.
is that gilstrap making box? other 1 u had was amazing.. u should stop by and let me hear it u know where i live.. ps d*mn what a port..

Transmission back in the car so now I can get back to the fun stuff.

Stained the box today. Still haven't checked to see if it'll fit into the trunk assembled, or if I'm going to have to assemble it in the trunk, but I think the latter is going to be the case. Will know for sure tomorrow, and it'll be in the trunk then regardless.
ok i see box now yeah look like gilstraps work., he should quit his police work and just make boxes..

Looking good! about to start on my new box for my 7th. Specs on box mane ? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
Thanks! 3.3 cubes net tuned at 46-ish with the 8 inch port. Tuned at 33 with the longer 6 inch port (not shown).

Gettin' closer!!
So close to a 50 I can smell it! Oh wait...that's the coil. :p

is that gilstrap making box? other 1 u had was amazing.. u should stop by and let me hear it u know where i live.. ps d*mn what a port..
Yeah, that's Gilstraps work. A shame that box didn't work out for me as I really liked the box. Sounded great, and if I wasn't chasing numbers, I'd have kept it. I'll try to swing by sometime and let you check out my setup. Also, there's a NSPL show at Piedmont Dragstrip this coming saturday. I'll be there competing. You should come check it out. As for the port...do you mean on the Gilstrap box, or the newest box? 8 inch port is for burps only. Not at all for daily use.

ok i see box now yeah look like gilstraps work., he should quit his police work and just make boxes..
I'm sure he would IF he knew anything about box design. He can build with your plans no problem....but he's a carpenter, not a box designer.

Also, doing custom cabinets and counter tops keeps him extremely busy, and there's more money in it than there is box building. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
So what's your setup? We may be comp in the near future. I'm going to the big show in Va and that'll be my first time competing. I'm tuned low, but my woofer still get loud. Shop is confident I'm in the high 40s. After I break in fully, we'll add a little more power. I may go 5k on my Xs.

My setup is a DC Audio XL 15 on two DC 2.0k's strapped at 2 ohms (reconing to strap at 1 ohm next week)....Plus the mids and highs stuff which is nearly nonexistent at the moment. That'll be done soon-ish.

I assume you're talking about the TDH show? I won't be able to make that one unfortunately. There's a show at Piedmont Dragstrip this Saturday that I WILL be at.

How low is low? I was doing 45's in the slot ported box that was tuned at 33hz on a single 2k amp.

yeah if he was like just hanging out i'd go talk to him about it but he's always gone or getting ready to leave or doing yard work and i hate o bother him about a box + i'm older than him so it's a little weird + my house need paint lol so neighbors would be like he's spending $ on box instead of painting that old house lol (in my defense i thought i'd be dead by now i smoke like a freight train).. i had to talk to him 2 weeks go cause new peeps moved in down the street and their dog came over here killed next door neighbors chickens feathers and dead bodys all over my back yard and he was growling at me in my yard, i shot at him and it seemed to make him more mad, so he went to tell them your dog gonna get shot if u don't keep him in your house.. whats sad i all i need is 1" wider port and like 1/2 cf more, don't need super nice thick box

My setup is a DC Audio XL 15 on two DC 2.0k's strapped at 2 ohms (reconing to strap at 1 ohm next week)....Plus the mids and highs stuff which is nearly nonexistent at the moment. That'll be done soon-ish.

I assume you're talking about the TDH show? I won't be able to make that one unfortunately. There's a show at Piedmont Dragstrip this Saturday that I WILL be at.

How low is low? I was doing 45's in the slot ported box that was tuned at 33hz on a single 2k amp.
So I metered yesterday and was heart broken. If your honda is like mine, it loves lows. I did 45 at 32 Hz sealed. Outlaw at the kick was 148. Wired at 1 but enclosure rises to 3. So I'm getting 1700 watts outta my 4k amp. There aren't but many ways to combat rise and one is brute force. Thinking about getting a taramps 8k. After rise, I'll be getting 4-5k.

Are you doing a sealed trunk? If yes, get rid of that sh1t. It killed 3 full dB's for me.

My car does horrible on lows. Anything below about 30 just isn't there. Doesn't matter what box tuning is. With a sealed trunk it did better on lows, but again, the meter hated that.

My car with the current setup with the burp port peaks at 42hz sealed, and 50hz outlaw. With the original slot ported box, it peaked at 44/46.

If you want to compete, get rid of the sealed trunk if you have one. It's trash. If all you want to do is give demos, keep it....It's great for that.

Optimal box with my testing is sub up port forward, box slid back almost as far as it can go. Doesn't matter if it's slot or aero ported. Haven't tried sub up port to the left rear corner yet, but have tried pretty much every other combination.

Also, at the first show I did (a month ago), I clamped 1050 watts on my single 2k amp. Box rise....It is what it is.
firing sub up in trunk doesn't that cause more rattle? 1 guy on here said his was best firing sub in cabin with port on side., but that was with trunk sealed off..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.