05 F350 Build log (some fiberglass work, computer, and system) Many pictures!!

hm that is weird, find you a ford truck forum see if that is a common flaw or something. Chances are if it happened to you its happened to someone else. Looks like it might be time for that mustang so that u can do some work to the truck hehe

***** about the brakes, the outside pad looks **** near new. Crazy, does the outside of the rotor look better than the inside?
It sure does, and on ALL the rotors lol. The other three are not nearly as bad as the front and show Nearly even pad wear with the inside pad being about even for thickness but with a bit of a high spot down the middle somehow YET no wear on the outside of the braking surface on the rotor. I really not too sure on what could be happening other than maybe warped rotors or maybe some super cheap crappy pads or something. I may see about getting the rotor turned or resurfaced and put new pads in it. OR if I figure it out and save some pennies put Powerslot cryo rotors and hawks pads in it, but thats gonna be about $500-600 or so all around.

I just find it really odd how its relatively consistant that only the inside part of the rotor is what looks bad while the outside part looks good. I posted about it on the diesel forum and no one else had similar experiences.

hm that is weird, find you a ford truck forum see if that is a common flaw or something. Chances are if it happened to you its happened to someone else. Looks like it might be time for that mustang so that u can do some work to the truck hehe
Yea might be time for it. Truck seems to drive and stop fine though, just stops like its got a loaded trailer behind it.

Here is the passenger side front, not quite as bad but still has the odd wear patterns.

Outside (everything looks pretty good nothing to alarming.)

DSC02140.jpg

Pads (Inside pad is on the top, noticed the grooves, the middle of the pad is actually higher than the outside)

DSC02139.jpg

Inside of the passenger side front rotor. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/verymad.gif.3f39c5c2fd57527b671fad3efdfac756.gif Least its consistent:crazy:

DSC02141.jpg

Did you put those pads in? That wear pattern on the inside is crazy...maybe the wrong pads were put in there? I'd say the rotor was messed up enough on the inside it wore funky like that, but I've never seen one wear like that, especially the inners on all 4 wheels.

Did you put those pads in? That wear pattern on the inside is crazy...maybe the wrong pads were put in there? I'd say the rotor was messed up enough on the inside it wore funky like that, but I've never seen one wear like that, especially the inners on all 4 wheels.
nope the pads where in when I got the truck, I had done a quick inspection checking the outers and figured they were all good. 30k later I go to do some other work and pull off the rotor and find that crap. So now you can see how baffled I am since I have never seen it before either.

Probably gonna end up going the cheapest route to getting things good again, pads all around and either resurface these rotors if they are salvagable or put new ones on and then watch them to make sure it don't happen again. I would hate to go and spend good money on some powerslot cryo rotors and then have it be some defect in the calipers or the caliper mounting brackets and have the new rotors get F'ed up too.

don't really know. I picked up the truck just over a year ago with 49k on the clock and it has about 74k on it now. I am assuming the brakes were done just before I got it since some of the pads have a good amount of meat still on them. When I first picked it up I thought it was low on braking power and thought something was wrong. But I had my dad drive it and he has driven the same truck before (friend of his has had 3 of these trucks) and he said the brakes were fine. So I went on with it.

Your build is great!

***** about your rotors though //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

I had something similar on my old Lexus LS, it was the seal gone that keeps dust out of the area where the floating caliper slides along the rods that are part of the caliper mount tht's fixed to the hub assembly.

take the caliper off the mount and remove the caliper mount too and look for signs of pitting.

If those things don't slide properly it will just load one side (outside = piston side) of the rotor and the inside turns to junk.

nope the pads where in when I got the truck, I had done a quick inspection checking the outers and figured they were all good. 30k later I go to do some other work and pull off the rotor and find that crap. So now you can see how baffled I am since I have never seen it before either.
Probably gonna end up going the cheapest route to getting things good again, pads all around and either resurface these rotors if they are salvagable or put new ones on and then watch them to make sure it don't happen again. I would hate to go and spend good money on some powerslot cryo rotors and then have it be some defect in the calipers or the caliper mounting brackets and have the new rotors get F'ed up too.
run an oasis report!! lmao //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

That looks like new pads were installed without turning (or replacing) the rotors.
Yea previous owner did something, or didn't do something lol. I am thinking my project for this weekend will be a very thorough brake down and cleaning/scraping/greasing along with some new pads and maybe getting the rotors turned if they still have enough material left on them, if not I will just use em up till I absolutely need to replace them.

Your build is great!
***** about your rotors though //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

I had something similar on my old Lexus LS, it was the seal gone that keeps dust out of the area where the floating caliper slides along the rods that are part of the caliper mount tht's fixed to the hub assembly.

take the caliper off the mount and remove the caliper mount too and look for signs of pitting.

If those things don't slide properly it will just load one side (outside = piston side) of the rotor and the inside turns to junk.
Yea I think thats the culprit for the drivers side front, sticking slides. But not too sure about the other wheels since the pads seem to be worn fairly evenly overall.

run an oasis report!! lmao //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif
haha, yea nothing showed up like that when I ran it on my truck. Guy brought it back to the dealer a few times cause the emblems were peeling and bubbling though, and the AC controller was messing up.

Hopefully it warms up a bit, but I doubt it, 40° outside and workin on some cold iron lol. Least if I get my exhaust in it will be more enjoyable when the job is done.

Check and make sure the slides for the calipers are free (allowing the 'outside' pad to move). Could possibly be locked up causing only the inside pad to be pushed in from the piston in the caliper. Highly unlikely for all 4 to do that though I would think.

It would make sense to me though.

edit- Bah I missed the last couple posts //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

Talked with my parts guy the other day and he said that he has seen similar things with these trucks, the 2500HD's and a lot of the foreign cars. Says its something with a cheap metal or cheap manufacturing process they use. Voids will show up in the metal and once some moisture gets into them it will eat it away from the inside and such. Said they have gone to turn rotors that had just a small spot of rust on the surface and next thing they know it just keeps opening up bigger and bigger as they turn the rotor.

Oh well, some slight audio updates. Been driving around and listening to the mags. I don't seem to have any pics of the boxes actually in the truck. I have had the 2 mags downfiring between the seats and now have a single mag downfiring between the seats with the upper console bolted to it. These boxes were just whipped together in no time, and just some 5" rips slapped to the sides to make them downfiring, along with some nuts/bolts/washers to make my speaker wire connections. I had the pair wired to 2ohm and 0.5ohm, and now a single wired to 1ohm all off the 1500D.

Well here are some pics of the single mag box, final build will be much much nicer, probably some fiberglass and mdf. Thinking of maybe building an entire center console from the dash to the back of the front seats but I am trying to stay away from it. I am rather old fashioned with my trucks and like bench seating, but full console build with the pair of mags downfiring would be kinda cool and I could add some other stuff into the top of it.

DSC02158.jpg

DSC02157.jpg

DSC02156.jpg

DSC02159.jpg

DSC02160.jpg

Little bit of for-thought would have made the upper console a little lower and closer to the back of the console, but for now its not bad. In the truck its about 1-2" higher than before and 1-2" more forward. Actually puts it to be perfect position for using the touchscreen in the dash but I will try and get it a little lower with the final build. Thinking some junkyard hopping so I can find a upper console to hack up later on down the road would be nice too.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.