caraudio93
10+ year member

Maine
Here's the situation. I am only 17, and I don't have a job, so money is an issue. The most I can spend on my setup is about 200$. I am NOT trying to be a high school hero and shake everyone else's car, I just want good rich sounds for my own personal enjoyment. I was looking at getting a Dual (which I know is an atrocious brand) 8" Powered Sub. It comes in a bandpass, and its 80 RMS, which again, I know it doesn't really mean anything, but all the reviews say it sounds great, and it's only 100$. Then on top of that, I would be getting 4 Kenwood 5x7/6x8's and a small 4 channel amp. OR, I could get

(my friend suggested this one, he has 2 MTX Thunder 9500's) the MTX Magnum package, which is 150$, two 10" subs, and 800w max. Since it comes with an amp, I'm going to assume that the amp is actually nowhere near 800w, and is probably more like 400. Then, I would get 2 Kenwood (or other brandname) 5x7's to put in the front, and leave the stock Premium Ford Sound speakers in the back. I have an extended cab '94 Ranger. My headunit is one that the guy who had the truck before me put in, and it's a Pioneer DEH-1500, which unless I'm mistaken was put out in 2003. So, my question is, which setup do you think I will enjoy more, and which is better for the money. Also, it's not limited to these two options. If you can think of something great that's in my price range, by all means, let me know! Also, I listen to drum n bass, dubstep, sometimes rap, and some rock. I care alot about how the sound quality is, and not necessarily how loud it is. Thanks guys.

TBH man a lot of those "great reviews" are because people have never owned a decent product and that's what sounds good to them...i highly recommend at least saving up an extra $100 and getting some decent equipment. it'll be much cheaper in the long run and you'll thank yourself for it.

Firstly, just get a 2ch and some speakers for the front stage. don't even worry about the rear stage because it's only for fill. most people (including me) have upgraded their front stage and just run the stocks in the rear.

for a sub stage i also recommend buying a used sub on here (which generally is your best bet.)...if you look frequently enough you'll find a kick *** deal. i bought a 15" soundstream SPLX from a guy for $150 shipped. thing is rated for 1k and takes 2k daily no problem.

please, do yourself a favor and don't do any impulse purchases unless you know what you're doing.

---------- Post added at 07:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 PM ----------

also, whereabouts in maine are you? im down by lewiston/auburn

Alright, I'll definitely buy a 2 channel and the speakers first. I was thinking about doing that for a while, then thought maybe I would really like a sub. I've been checking on unclehenrys but so far no good deals have popped up. And I live up north, by houlton

It comes down to which you'd like first; upgraded front stage or sub. Go from there. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
yeah but with a $200 budget he'll be hard pressed to find a decent sub stage, as well as an amp and some wiring. you could def. upgrade to a nice front stage with $200, but for a sub stage you're gonna have to cheap out on some part of it.

I was, and kinda am still, in the same boat as you. My first car/car audio system cost 300$ TOTAL

I got a clarion HU and 4 clarion speakers for 160 b/c I haggled with the guy at the store to make it a package deal.

Then I went to a pawn shop and bought a used alpine amp and box. That was 50 in total there.

Then I bought a new amp kit and pioneer sub, which was 90 all together. Total = 300.

Was it amazing, no. Did it sound better than the avg cheap car. yes!

For you, I'd def buy used. And if u can, get everything in pieces. That way you have time to save over time.

So look around on here, craiglist, ebay, local meets and some pawnshops.

Also search on here to learn more, bc I almost bought a dual amp as an impulse buy when I first got into car audio. SOOO glad I didnt.

Paying more than u planned ***** but in the end, when what u bought still works and is better than ur other choice. It's worth it.

u can also consider this:

better than what u suggested but still not an amazing setup. U can always branch off of it. Get a better sub. Then get a mono amp and use that amp for the front speakers. etc.

Bass Package: Hifonics HFi100.2 + Kenwood KFCW3012 + Kit + Box

Or This:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_34526_600W-Complete-Rockford-Fosgate-RE-Audio-Bass-Package.html

Then spend 10$ on a craiglist prefab box and the rest on unamped front coaxials. I dont recommend this unless you CANT AT ALL go over 200$ and NEED to upgrade the speakers + add a sub.

These r just suggestions. Buying used u can prob do better though.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.