Well Crap..I either blew the amp..sub..or in someway F*ed myself over..

Participant count
  • Participant list

Jdg784
10+ year member

Yep..I'm God
Alright, running a kappa perfect 12.1 SVC at 4 ohms from a rockfrod 500S amp, It was running fine, just tossed a switch on there quick the other day so I didn't have to deal w/plugging and un-plugging..anyways..used 12 gauge wire that was already being used to turn the amp on/off (I know..dumb to put a switch on wire that big..figured that out)..but apparently it f*ed my stuff up somehow. The switch started smoking as I was going down the road today, so I pulled over, turned everything off asap..and pulling the switch out from under the seat. I figured it was pretty much fried so I left it. I re-wired it the old way and connected the turn-on cable on the amp..red LED comes on, but when we try the sub..no sound. Hooked the sub up to someone else's amp no sound..I'm thinking either I blew it, or one of the wires inside came unhooked.. any ideas or help will be appreciated. I haven't had a chance to pull the sub out yet because one of the screws stripped itself going in.

First of all I would use 8 gague wire for the power and ground. Second, why did you use a switch instead of the remote line?

1.)Try hooking up a different speaker to the amp. If it works, then it's your sub.

2.)You can also touch a 9v battery to the wires of the sub.(since it seems to be stuck in the box.) If it moves, then you know that the current is still flowing through it and chances are it's good.

Make sure you post the out come of your findings.

Good luck!!

Alright, well took the sub outta the box, about to try the 9v test..but I didn't get any sound hooking it up to someone else's amp. It's not looking so good.. I'm still kinda wondering how a 500 watt amp blew a sub w/a 1400 peak..even though the amps peak is 1000..hmm.

*Phew* made it out alive, it started working fine after I took it outta the box, examined it and put it back in. I think the VC may have been stuck.

*SIgh* update..well it worked fine for about 2 days. I hooked everything back up, cleaned up all my connections..hid the wires..etc. Turned the punch boost to about 80% (where it was b4)..and it was all good. Then suddenly Pop..and no bass..the sub still moves and makes this strange popping sound..Like it's trying to hit..but can't...any suggestions?

Originally posted by Jdg784 *SIgh* update..well it worked fine for about 2 days. I hooked everything back up, cleaned up all my connections..hid the wires..etc. Turned the punch boost to about 80% (where it was b4)..and it was all good. Then suddenly Pop..and no bass..the sub still moves and makes this strange popping sound..Like it's trying to hit..but can't...any suggestions?
hook and test signal directly to the amp with a test speaker and remove the amp and put it on an isolated battery and retest. if it make noise in this test it's damaged

Sounds like my story. When I finished my install the highs kept cutting out. I screwed around with it for about a week just to have it work when it was hooked up to the original way!!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif Go figure

Glad to hear it's working though.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.