Voltage limiter for amps?

Participant count
  • Participants list

Jerkyson

So I got a question. Ever since I got a high output alternator there are certain songs that manage to throw my amps into protection. I’ve been scratching my head trying to figure out what it is ever since I got it, checking connections and everything I could think of and I finally figured it out. When the amps draw a significant amount of power there is a voltage regulator delay that causes the voltage to drop and come back which I know is normal. Now, that isn’t causing the amps to shut off but what I finally figured out is that the voltage regulator also has that same delay in the opposite direction causing the voltage to spike for a fraction of a second and come back to running voltage when there’s no more current draw from the amps causing the amps to go into over-voltage protection. My amps really don’t like being above 15-16 volts or so and the alt is spiking to around 16.5-17 volts and coming back down to running voltage. This usually is an issue with songs with a lot of kicks making the voltage bounce all over the place. I’m curious if they make a device that will keep the voltage from going past 15 volts or so to my amps? Or maybe another solution? Other than that the alt is running like a champ! Thanks in advance for your guy’s advice!

It’s a 300amp Singer alt and just a stock Everlast battery

Car is an 03 Honda Civic 1.7L so there’s not much electrical load on the alt to begin with besides the amps

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...