VERY interesting Type-r info....

Not true. But if someone has ran sealed and is happy with it, they may not port it. So its hard to find someone who has run both and isnt biased.

I would run ported tuned to 27hz for a SQ set up. The point to running sealed is a flatter response, but I feel a sealed enclosure can sometimes puts added strain on the mechanical aspect of the subwoofer. If I can achieve a flat response running a low tuned ported box, with less power to get the same output, why not?
I have ran them both and I can assure you there is nothing incorrect about my statement.

How can sealed have flatter response if you can get the same thing with ported?

I have ran them both and I can assure you there is nothing incorrect about my statement.
How can sealed have flatter response if you can get the same thing with ported?
I never said it could be achieved. But in some situations it is more difficult to get a 1 cu ft box tunned to 27hz. This is where sealed comes in. I for one do not like sealed boxes. They sound nice, but I always feel they roll off too quickly. Maybe its just the sealed boxes I have ran. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

I never said it could be achieved. But in some situations it is more difficult to get a 1 cu ft box tunned to 27hz. This is where sealed comes in. I for one do not like sealed boxes. They sound nice, but I always feel they roll off too quickly. Maybe its just the sealed boxes I have ran. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif
Sealed boxes usually do roll off quicker. A low tuned ported box will often give you a flatter response, that is why I was questioning your blanket statement that sealed boxes have flatter frequency response.

You are right though, it is usually quite difficult to tune low in small enclosures.

Sealed boxes usually do roll off quicker. A low tuned ported box will often give you a flatter response, that is why I was questioning your blanket statement that sealed boxes have flatter frequency response.
You are right though, it is usually quite difficult to tune low in small enclosures.
Sorry, I should have explained myself better. I ment above the roll off. A ported box often has a peak (as in the 30-33hz tuning mentioned) but I was trying to make the point a low tuned ported box would do better then a sealed box in a flat response. Sorry for the confusion.

How about this, build a sealed box and a ported box and see which one sounds better to you. A .75 cube sealed box should take less than an hour to construct and about $10 worth of wood.

Honestly all that guy told you was a sealed box will have better sound quality than a ported box. With the drawback of low end extension and overall output.

He just put a lot of hot air in to his explanation.

This is common knowledge...

what he told me in that was the type rs in a ported box even built to specs will have under damping at lower frequencies and get "flabby" sounding:

"But the key thing to realize here, and what the people who are recommending you use a ported enclosure are omitting in their advice, is that this is really a sealed box woofer. Look how bloated the low-end becomes once room gain is added in. And more importantly, look at how the phase response and especially the group delay tear up at low frequencies. This is indicating that the speaker will be underdampened at low frequencies in a ported box, even one designed as expertly as possible. The low-frequency output will definitely increase, but it will be out of porportion with the output at higher frequencies, and the bass will be loose and flabby"

Micro.... I understand what you're saying, but this guy is saying that the type-r is designed in a way that gives it a predisposition for "flabbyness" in a ported box, no matter how well the box is made.... ok, now I'm making up words....

U don't get that from the quote?

what he told me in that was the type rs in a ported box even built to specs will have under damping at lower frequencies and get "flabby" sounding:
"But the key thing to realize here, and what the people who are recommending you use a ported enclosure are omitting in their advice, is that this is really a sealed box woofer. Look how bloated the low-end becomes once room gain is added in. And more importantly, look at how the phase response and especially the group delay tear up at low frequencies. This is indicating that the speaker will be underdampened at low frequencies in a ported box, even one designed as expertly as possible. The low-frequency output will definitely increase, but it will be out of porportion with the output at higher frequencies, and the bass will be loose and flabby"
Again all he is saying is the ported box will not have as flat of a response curve as the sealed box.

This is just the nature of a ported enclosure. Tuning low can be used to flatten out the response curve. But it's just what is going to happen.

The end result is not as dramatic as you may think. A ported box will not sound horrible if done correctly. I've run many of my drivers in optimal sealed and ported enclosures. I was able to port many of my drivers while retaining a flat frequency response. It is all in the design of the box.

To be quite honest it is all up to your ears. You have to try both to be able to determine your preference.

They type R is well suited for both enclosures. It's your choice on which will be optimal.

i had 2 sealed type R's in 1.9 cubes in my s10, and the sounded pretty good. i later built 4 different boxes ported for a single 12 and found that 2.25 cubes at 35hz worked best for me with that sub. i didn't seem to like lower tuning, as in under 30 (i tried 2 cubes at 28hz). no real gain in anything sq to the ear, but noticeably not as loud to the ear. i found that 2.25 cubes at 35 hz with 600-700 watts rms was the loudest, most efficient way to use the type R. it was nearly as loud as 2 sealed, with under 1/2 the power to run it. even in a large ported box, it was able to handle over the rms. metered pretty well on music too in the ported box.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.