VERY interesting Type-r info....

I understand what you guys are saying about the common tendancies of a ported enclosure, what I don't understand is that you guys keep comparing the type-r's ported tendancies to other subs you've run... This guy is saying that the TYPE-R has design characteristics that make it a SEALED SUB.... You can't use other subs as examples for an argument....

"The end result is not as dramatic as you may think. A ported box will not sound horrible if done correctly. I've run many of my drivers in optimal sealed and ported enclosures. I was able to port many of my drivers while retaining a flat frequency response. It is all in the design of the box."

^^^^ what I'm getting at is if you haven't run a Type-R, then that statement means nothing...

i had 2 sealed type R's in 1.9 cubes in my s10, and the sounded pretty good. i later built 4 different boxes ported for a single 12 and found that 2.25 cubes at 35hz worked best for me with that sub. i didn't seem to like lower tuning, as in under 30 (i tried 2 cubes at 28hz). no real gain in anything sq to the ear, but noticeably not as loud to the ear. i found that 2.25 cubes at 35 hz with 600-700 watts rms was the loudest, most efficient way to use the type R. it was nearly as loud as 2 sealed, with under 1/2 the power to run it. even in a large ported box, it was able to handle over the rms. metered pretty well on music too in the ported box.
How did it sound in the 2.25 @ 35hz box? Not how loud, how did it sound, compared to the two sealed???

How did it sound in the 2.25 @ 35hz box? Not how loud, how did it sound, compared to the two sealed???
it did very well ported. got loud and took a beating. 140.6 TL on the dash, with a single 12 on music. 2.25 tuned to 35hz. the 2 sealed may have done the same thing, but a single 12 doesn't need 1400 watts rms to do it. it sounded ok ported, in terms of sq, but i didn't buy it for sound quality.

I know SQ guys that do over 80's in MECA SQL competitions and they think the R's sound good sealed. If actual good SQ competitors think they sound good sealed, then they must not be too bad. We all already know of their capabilities when ported.

Wow, tl;dr. Port them subs, later you will wish you had when you want a stronger bottom end. I know I did and my sub has a hella low end (ssa icon). Wish I had ported it. Question is how I'd fit a ported box in my new(to me) 300zx.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.