adding second coil: increase power handling and Bl, lower Fs?

Kryptonitewhite
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
A while back I ordered a custom recone kit going from a single 2 to a dual 2 coil, and I was wondering if there would be any noteable increase in power handling, Mms, and efficiency as well as a lowering in Fs since there will be double the coil... but I think i was mostly told not enough to be note worthy.

Later on I painted the cone, and suddenly I was being told I would totally mess up the drivers SQ and SPL by adding mass and making the cone stiffer (obviousely mostly by noobs and tards)

Anyway, Exodus Audio's GEN II Maelstrom-X came out. Basically the only change was going from a single 4 to a dual 2 coil. The added coil length was enough that they changed the power rating and Bl rating.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/exodus-audio/19584-maelstrom-18-gen-ii-landed.html

BlMeasured in tesla-metres (T·m). Technically this is B x l (vector cross product or B * l * sin(θ)), but the standard geometry of a circular coil in an annular voice coil gap gives sin(θ)=1. Bl is also known as the 'force factor' because the force on the coil imposed by the magnet is Bl multiplied by the current through the coil. The higher the Bl value, the larger the force generated by a given current flowing through the voice coil. Bl has a very strong effect on Qes.
so the bl will increase if ran in series,

side note for the new coil

B=μ0*i*n (for a coil)

so

2B=μ0*i*2n

also

ΦB=B*A (magnetic flux through the central region of an inductor)

again

2ΦB=2B*A

also

L=μ0*n^2*l*A (n=turns/length)

so

μ0*(2n)^2*l*A

4L=μ0*4(n^2)*l*A

4L,

Emf=-L*di/dt

with 4 times the inductance, as the current in the coil increases an Emf (voltage) is produced, 4 times the inductance the 4 times the Emf produced, this Emf opposes the the direction of the increasing current.

this can be described as inductive reactance

XL=ωdL

this is measured in ohms, where ωd is the driving frequency

so 4XL=ωd4L, this could be good or bad depends on the frequency

all of this is dependent on the number of effective turns, running the coils in series will "double" the amount of turns, ran in parallel it will have the same number of effective turns as your old coil but the resistance will be half the amount cuz there is double the cross sectional area "2 wires instead of 1".

also

p=V^2/R (resistive dissipation)

V^2/(.5*R)

2p=V^2/(.5*R)

half the resistance = twice the joule heat created in the same situation

lol i got a B in phys 2

A while back I ordered a custom recone kit going from a single 2 to a dual 2 coil, and I was wondering if there would be any noteable increase in power handling, Mms, and efficiency as well as a lowering in Fs since there will be double the coil... but I think i was mostly told not enough to be note worthy.
Later on I painted the cone, and suddenly I was being told I would totally mess up the drivers SQ and SPL by adding mass and making the cone stiffer (obviousely mostly by noobs and tards)

Anyway, Exodus Audio's GEN II Maelstrom-X came out. Basically the only change was going from a single 4 to a dual 2 coil. The added coil length was enough that they changed the power rating and Bl rating.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/exodus-audio/19584-maelstrom-18-gen-ii-landed.html
I just wish you would kill yourself. You are an ignorant fucktard that knows nothing.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

nG

I just wish you would kill yourself. You are an ignorant fucktard that knows nothing.  

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

nG
and child abuser !!!!!!!!!!!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/verymad.gif.3f39c5c2fd57527b671fad3efdfac756.gif:verymad://content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/verymad.gif.3f39c5c2fd57527b671fad3efdfac756.gif:verymad://content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/verymad.gif.3f39c5c2fd57527b671fad3efdfac756.gif

nG
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.