Tweeters sound "better" when I put my hand right in front of them??

Latina33
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
CA
I've noticed that if I put my hand up flush over the front of one of my tweeters, it seems to sound better to me....more of a fuller, brighter tweeter sound.

I've actually been considering fixating something flat to the fronts of both of my tweets so that I can get this dynamic change in sound all the time.

Does this make sense to anyone, and is there a better way to go about keeping that sound from the tweeters that I get when I obstruct them with my hand?

Pop off the tweeter grill and put a piece of felt in there.
That seems like a good idea, man, but I don't think I can pop off the tweeter grill.

The tweets are CAL26 titans, and it doesn't look like the grills come off. I was thinking of a way to maybe attach small piece of plastic or something to the outside of the tweets so that the sound deflects directly off of it, creating the dynamic change I'm looking for....just not sure how to do that just yet without it looking "super ghetto".

if you have your tweets mounted in your a-pillars you could glass them in and attach some sort of grille over them with the felt in it.......like make the tweeter recessed into the tweeter pod and stretch felt over that, or grille cloth and your tweeters would also be somewhat stealthed into the a pillar.

like this, i will try to show you with ascii art

__

[) |

this "[)" is the tweeter and the veritical line would be grille cloth or a grille you make and you could fiberglass this so it all blends nicely.

wait so you want to make your tweeter harsher?
man i hate harsh tweeters.
No, no, not harsher at all.....when I obstruct it like that, it seems to make the tweets have a more 'full' sound.

I don't want harsher, either....if I did, I never would've gotten rid of my Focal Polyglass set of comps.

maybe you should place them somewhere else. My tweets were like that too but i used the time alignment on my head unit to fix it. that is exactly where i have mine placed too.

maybe you should place them somewhere else. My tweets were like that too but i used the time alignment on my head unit to fix it. that is exactly where i have mine placed too.
Hmm, might try that....my 7998 has a pretty good time alignment feature.

Are you running your SLC's active or passive? When you're running active, and are making time alignment adjustments, do you have to turn the volume all the way down like you do when you're adjusting crossover points, or it it ok to adjust time alignment on the fly with the volume up?

[/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color]

Here's how my tweets are mounted....
next time get some silk dome tweeters //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wow.gif.23d729408e9177caa2a0ed6a2ba6588e.gif

[/color][/color][/color][/color][/color][/color]
next time get some silk dome tweeters //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wow.gif.23d729408e9177caa2a0ed6a2ba6588e.gif
I've had silk dome tweets before....not my taste.

Hmm, might try that....my 7998 has a pretty good time alignment feature.
Are you running your SLC's active or passive? When you're running active, and are making time alignment adjustments, do you have to turn the volume all the way down like you do when you're adjusting crossover points, or it it ok to adjust time alignment on the fly with the volume up?
active, i dont even turn the volume down when im adjusting crossover points.

active, i dont even turn the volume down when im adjusting crossover points.
Really? I've heard that can mess up your mids and/or tweets if you adjust your crossover points while your volume is turned up.

Can anyone chime in and confirm either way? I'd definitely like to know....it's a real pain having to kill the volume every time I make a crossover adjustment on my HU.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.