Tommy K's Daily Driver Build

If there is wind/road noise coming in from the door seam, the door needs to be adjusted. I had some wind noise coming the by the arc from the mirror to the b-pillar, I opened the door and gave it a good reef inwards and voila, noise was gone.

If there is wind/road noise coming in from the door seam, the door needs to be adjusted. I had some wind noise coming the by the arc from the mirror to the b-pillar, I opened the door and gave it a good reef inwards and voila, noise was gone.
It's not the door seam, it's through the B-pillar itself. From the door jamb to the back wall. It's 2 layers of sheet metal with nothing but air in between and zero stock insulation or sound deadening. It's pretty easy to tell where it's coming from when you're riding in it.

Update!

Got the roof covered in CLD tiles, MLV, and CCF. Had pictures but the camera on my phone decided to make the picture clicking noise, and not actually save the picture. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Headliner and panels are back in so no chance I'm getting any others.

But I did get pics of the other things I accomplished today.

Big 3 is done:

100_0086.jpg

Amp rack is started:

100_0087.jpg

And I built the (first) enclosure a couple days ago:

100_0088.jpg

Progress is slow, as usual, but it's coming along. I still have to order another battery (or two depending on where I can fit them). That could happen next week. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Forgot to mention that I put 2 layers of CCF and MLV on my b-pillars. One small piece inside the pillar behind where the rear speaker usually is, and then then put another layer on the b-pillar plastic panel itself.

This made a HUGE difference in ambient road noise. This is what I'm pleased about the most so far, as that area was a big contributor to overall cabin noise.

I was thinking of doing the CCF and MLV along with my deadener... MLV is pretty expensive stuff though. I was wondering if it would be worth using the CCF along with deadener without the MLV? The deadening looks great by the way! and I want to see the S10...since thats my daily driver. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I was thinking of doing the CCF and MLV along with my deadener... MLV is pretty expensive stuff though. I was wondering if it would be worth using the CCF along with deadener without the MLV? The deadening looks great by the way! and I want to see the S10...since thats my daily driver. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
Don will tell you that doing one without the other (CCF and MLV) is pretty much pointless as they work together. I would have to agree with that since both materials serve a specific purpose.

Will it work to a point? Yes, but not nearly as effectively as using both.

Don will tell you that doing one without the other (CCF and MLV) is pretty much pointless as they work together. I would have to agree with that since both materials serve a specific purpose.
Will it work to a point? Yes, but not nearly as effectively as using both.
Thats kind of what I figured... Probably just lay my deadener down and when money allows rip it all apart again and do ccf and mlv. Thanks

Big update today!

Here's what I did to help combat road noise that comes from the B-pillar since I can't really get inside the pillar.

It's a layer of MLV with a layer of CCF on both sides. This way it not only absorbs noise coming through the pillar, but the additional layer on the inside helps reduce panel rattling.

IMG_20110630_160347.jpg

Also, after getting this mammoth enclosure in the truck, I realized my old amp rack had to go, so I whipped up a new one that's actually easier to put in and I think will look just as nice when finished:

IMG_20110630_161512.jpg

I also got all the wiring ran for the front stage speakers, all covered in tech flex:

IMG_20110630_161535.jpg

Amps installed:

IMG_20110630_164053.jpg

I still have to get my 2nd batt (and maybe 3rd depending on the sizes I can fit), so the layout may change a little, but I'm pretty sure it's good where it's at.

Enclosure wired up and ready to drop in:

IMG_20110630_174238.jpg

I didn't finish it because I wanted to make sure I was happy with the performance before I carpet/vinyl/paint it (haven't decided what yet).

Wired up at the front batt:

IMG_20110630_183111.jpg

I also found a nice cubby for my bass knob. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

IMG_20110630_202829.jpg

And, well, it wouldn't be me if I didn't do some SPL testing. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

As of right now its done a 139.8 sealed on the dash, and as expected it gained a CRAPTON outlaw:

IMG_20110630_191617.jpg

Check out that peak frequency...35 hz! Little low for my liking (and my music choices), so I swapped in a shorter port which bumped it up to 40ish hz. Lost a little on the score, but I think it sounds better. Regardless, I may build another enclosure because quite honestly this thing is beastly huge and a little tall for my liking.

Anyways, my mids should be arriving tomorrow, the tweeters came last week, so in a week or so I should get those set up as well!

Thanks for looking.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.