Tommy K's Daily Driver Build

tommyk90
5,000+ posts

THE WHOLE THING!!!
This is a few weeks worth of pics I had posted in other forums, so I thought I'd bring it over here as well.

Figured I'd bring this over here. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I thought I would start one of these up since I never post any pics of the S-10.

My daily driver is a 2003 GMC Sierra. It's been bone stock for as long as I've been driving it (about 2 years or so) and I've finally had enough.

Equipment:

-Pioneer AVH-4200DVD

-Sundown SAX100.4 for the highs (active)

-Kicker ZX2500 for the sub

-12" Fi BL

-Ascendant Audio Carbon mids

-LPG 25NFA 1" Textile Tweeter

-XS power batteries

-Kicker wiring

This is as far as we got today.

interiorout.jpg

I'll give you the detailed story as to why.

So we get this beast of an alarm wired up partially because we are missing a certain bypass that is needed to control some ****. So we just leave the harness in there because the vehicle still runs fine with it in there.

During the time they are putting in the alarm, I get my avh-4200DVD all wired up with the parking brake relay, RCA's, remote wires, the whole deal. I test it out and everything works great.

So we go to leave about 2 hours ago, i go to start the truck and everything just goes crazy. Won't run, dash lights staying on without the key in the ignition, fuel pump keeps cutting on without the car on, a whole mess of ****.

So we try to troubleshoot and end up taking out the entire radio and harness, put the stock radio back in, and completely remove every single wire we put in for the alarm.

Still nothing.

My buddy who is helping me out used to be a GM technician, so he goes "lemme try something." He goes under the hood, tightens 2 ground bolts, and everything ****ing works perfectly.

So we basically destroyed 5-6 hours worth of work all because of two loose ground bolts.

FML.

---------- Post added at 11:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 AM ----------

I've been slowed down by work and bad weather, so I haven't gotten much done in the past few weeks, but I am making progress!

Alarm and Double DIN are in:

IMG_20110423_190027.jpg

Power wire ran:

IMG_20110423_190041.jpg

RCA's ran:

IMG_20110423_190118.jpg

As you can see, most of the interior is still out. Once I pull the headliner down everything will be accessible, then the long process of deadening will begin.

Alright, on to some pics. My deadening process is going to be a long one and probably something most of you haven't seen before.

First step is cleaning up the application areas. First I vacuumed up everything I could, then I went over it with denatured alcohol and some clean rags:

IMG_20110508_134751.jpg

Next I laid out all the products for installation, along with my SUPER detailed instructions from Don at SDS:

IMG_20110508_135504.jpg

IMG_20110508_150420.jpg

IMG_20110508_150801.jpg

First thing to do is lay down the CLD tiles to help reduce panel resonance. People like to use these all over the vehicle, but frankly it doesn't help much over placement like this:

IMG_20110508_145817.jpg

IMG_20110508_145823.jpg

IMG_20110508_145845.jpg

I must say that those CLD tiles are no joke. Super heavy and thick aluminum. I found that working them from one end to the other, slowly, helped me get them very tightly around all the corners. They don't have much "stretch" to them, so this is crucial if you want them to follow the panel perfectly.

Now, here's where things will start to differ from the usual deadening pictures you see.

Next up is a layer of Closed Cell Foam (CCF). THIS is what helps absorb and block road noise (in combination with the mass loaded vinyl, up next). This is 1/4" CCF on the floor boards:

IMG_20110508_152613.jpg

This stuff is very easy to use and cuts well with a good knife. This is the base layer that the MLV will glue to, giving you the best practical noise barrier in a vehicle environment.

After the CCF comes the MLV. Once again, the quality is outstanding. Very heavy but remains flexible. It's important to work in decently small areas so you can follow the curves of the vehicle:

IMG_20110508_163332.jpg

IMG_20110508_175941.jpg

The MLV is glued to the CCF using a special glue (available from SDS). Now we have an excellent noise barrier on the floor.

The last part I got accomplished yesterday was the back wall. It's the same process as the floor. CLD tiles in strategic spots to reduce resonance, followed by CCF and MLV. The nice thing about this setup is you mount the MLV using reusable high-strength velcro. So you cut the MLV to fit the area, mount it using the velcro, then you take it back out of the vehicle and mount CCF to the underside, cutting away the areas where the velcro is.

This makes it super easy to measure, cut, and install, and it's also not permanent if you need to make any modifications:

IMG_20110508_192016.jpg

That's it for deadening so far. Next up will probably be the headliner and MAYBE the doors if I find the motivation. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

The last thing I got accomplished last night was getting the D3400 under the hood:

IMG_20110508_203601.jpg

Stay tuned for more! With the floor done and the carpet back in, I can really kick things in gear with the amp rack, wiring, and center console enclosure.

Awesome job of the deadening. I've been in contact with Don and I'm ready to pull the trigger to do the same type of deal for my trunk and doors.

Have you heard the LPG's in an install before? My brother is interested in them for his truck.
I personally have not, but I was recommended them from one of my SQ buddies as he had heard them with the mids I intend to run and said they were the best match.

Awesome job of the deadening. I've been in contact with Don and I'm ready to pull the trigger to do the same type of deal for my trunk and doors.
I would never hesitate to do business with Don. He's been nothing but helpful since I first got in contact with him. Gave me VERY detailed instructions on how to properly deaden my entire vehicle, with a breakdown of what components to use where, and how to use them.

This is my first time doing any kind of deadening like this, and I definitely could not have done it without his help.

Awesome guy.

Really looking forward to a review of the deadener...I don't think I've ever seen an install with such thorough deadening using Don's products. The only thing I've used of his was the CLD tiles and I love them...

Really looking forward to a review of the deadener...I don't think I've ever seen an install with such thorough deadening using Don's products. The only thing I've used of his was the CLD tiles and I love them...
At first I was looking for a shortcut because of all the work involved. Don wasn't having it. lol.

It was either all in or nothing, I chose all in. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I told him what my goals were, and he told me exactly what to use and where. So far my results have been outstanding. Significant reduction in road noise and I haven't even touched the doors or b-pillars. The b-pillars are my biggest culprit right now as a TON of noise comes through them when driving.

When I'm sitting at a stoplight, it's so quiet it's hard to tell if the truck is even on. I used to hear the fuel pump humming and a slight exhaust note, but now it's silent. I don't even have any of the back panels in yet.

I wish I would have taken a video beforehand so everyone could hear the differences. I might still do that tomorrow to show the reduction in wind/road noise as it's still somewhat present.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.