Think aobut building a 383 stroker

peteman70
10+ year member

MN
So, I know my way around engines pretty well (I'm not an expert, but I could do just about anything with my engine given time and some research). And I'm thinking about building myself a 383 stroker, starting with a 350 bare block, and getting the pieces as I need. Anyone ever do anything like this, or know antying aobut it? How hard will it be, and where could I find some info on what all I'll need? The hard stuff I'll get done professionally, but I want to do most myself.

Time is not really an object - if it takes 3 years, thats fine, I just want something to do. Any input?

a 383 is a 350 block a 400 crank and 5.7 inch rods i believe. it is a torque monster due to the long stroke and can make very good hp as well. what are you building it for? there are other engine combos that can do better depending on the application.

It's (probably) going in my '87 Camaro to replace my girlie 305. I want it to be a street car, but I want something that could get a good 1/4 mile time. Top speed isn't too important.

ive had a few camaros before. why not just do a 355? just a 350 bored .030 and upsize pistons. could have a nice solid 400 hp with not much trouble. do a 9.5/1 piston set, a comp cams 270h, pick up a set of new assembled vortec heads (like 500 beans), nice performer rpm air gap-manifold, and a 650 holly double pumper. you'll be bangin gears at 6200. you wont have any hondas reving at you either... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/hilarious.gif.02a037aad04aa96f19982b298a3d70a8.gif ive done a bunch of motors so ask up if you need an extra brain around.

Hm...thanks for the opinion. Now that I look into it, that kinda how I'm leaning. Someone also said I should look into a 327, know much about that? Any ideas what kind of horsepower and torque I could get out of either the 327, 355, or 383? And which would be the hardest to build? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just getting my feet when with from scratch (or, ya know, not so much from scratch) engine building. Thank you all.

don't see too many chevys with a 383---i think its a chrysler motor?? you can get a 350 crate motor off ebay built with like 380hp for like $2950 shipped.
A 383 is a "stroker" motor. Its a 350 block w/ the Pontiac 400ci's rods and crank. But, yes and 383 was a Chrystler motor.

im talking about a chevy 383. its a 350 chevy block 400 chevy crank and 5.7 inch chevy rods. as for a 327 they are nice too. they have the ability to scream easily because of the short stroke. they lean a little to the h.p. side than the torque but you have a 3rd gen f body so it only weighs between 3000 and 3300 pounds anyway. 327 block is going to be a little more expensive because there are less in circulation. but a 350 block is a dime a dozen. unless you plan on topping 475 horses you dont even have to worry about finding a 4 bolt main block. if you have 1 than even better.

im talking about a chevy 383. its a 350 chevy block 400 chevy crank and 5.7 inch chevy rods. as for a 327 they are nice too. they have the ability to scream easily because of the short stroke. they lean a little to the h.p. side than the torque but you have a 3rd gen f body so it only weighs between 3000 and 3300 pounds anyway. 327 block is going to be a little more expensive because there are less in circulation. but a 350 block is a dime a dozen. unless you plan on topping 475 horses you dont even have to worry about finding a 4 bolt main block. if you have 1 than even better.
Chevy hasnt had a production 383... Like I said before, its the 400's rods not the 350's.

A 383 is a "stroker" motor. Its a 350 block w/ the Pontiac 400ci's rods and crank. But, yes and 383 was a Chrystler motor.
you said a pontiac rods and crank..........thats not even close. they are 5.7 inch chevy rods and a 4oo chevy crank(chevy made 4ooci motors) and no they didnt make a production 383. but id like to see the look on your face if you tried to put ponticc rods in the chevy motor.

It's (probably) going in my '87 Camaro to replace my girlie 305. I want it to be a street car, but I want something that could get a good 1/4 mile time. Top speed isn't too important.

I have an '88 camaro with a 383 on it. Unfortunatly I keep twisting the weak rear ends. Its sitting in a storare unit until I get rich.

Edit, No matter what you do make sure you brace the car. I have found that my car and several people that have a larger motor in the '82-'92 body style are finding that the torque is flexing the car so much that it end up cracking where the t-tops are and down in the quarter panel area.

Let's say you get everything for a 383 stroker, could you bore the block out some or would that just make it function as a 400 small block? What are the positives of having a 383 vs. a 400 small block? Also couldnt you top the 383 off with a tune port injection system? If you build a basic 383 how much hp are you looking at?

Thanks..

Let's say you get everything for a 383 stroker, could you bore the block out some or would that just make it function as a 400 small block? What are the positives of having a 383 vs. a 400 small block? Also couldnt you top the 383 off with a tune port injection system? If you build a basic 383 how much hp are you looking at?

Thanks..

I have the tuned port injection on mine. I have a modest built motor. Got it for $600 and a $200 trade. My guess would be 370-380 hp nothing too great. Awsome torque.

If I am not mistaken the difference between a 383 and a 400 is the heads. Both are bored and stroked but the 383 has 350 heads and the 400 has 400 heads. I could be wrong.

some of the chevy400's ****** because the walls between two of the cylinders was too thin. this led to problems. i dont know which years they were. if you took a 350 block and just put the 400 crank, 5.7 rods and stock 350 pistons in it would be 377 c.i. to make it a 383 it is the same parts but!!!! the motor is bored out .030 larger( slightly larger bore gives you the few more cubic inches and you use .030 larger pistons. but reguardless, you can have all the power you want out of a plain old 350 believe me. it is easier to deal with any parts you end up wanting to change, you will get the experience of building a motor and beating it sensless. btw. the last fast car i had was an 82 firebird se with a 350 .030 over bored, a comp cams 268h grind cam, 9.5/1 keith black pistons, chevy pink rods( lt1), an old set of 194/160 chevy heads with a mild port/gasketmatch, a 69 z28 replica intake manifold, and a holley 600cfm with vac secondaries. i did a 380 hp at the wheels which equates to about 430 at the crank and i built it myself!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.