Headway building 101

Participant count
  • Participant list
My enclosure builder recommend JL machining works ani i could be happier with how they turned out...Great quality, price, customer service and quick turn around.
20221228_201519.jpg

I finally got my cap screws yesterday and assembled my 96ah bank and connected a HA02 battery equalizer. When i hooked the HA02 up i could hear a ringing coming it and its still making the same noise 12 hours later... Is this normal? Also my voltage dropped from 14.31 to 14.16 over 12 hrs.

Previous to assembly I top balanced the cells to 3.65. Let them rest in parallel for 48hrs and then they sat separated for 72 hrs before i assembled... I also matched the voltage of each row... All 4 Rows were exactly the same voltage down to the thousandth place so the equalizer shouldn't have had much work to do.

Last edited:
I finally got my cap screws yesterday and assembled my 96ah bank and connected a HA02 battery equalizer. When i hooked the HA02 up i could hear a ringing coming it and its still making the same noise 12 hours later... Is this normal? Also my voltage dropped from 14.31 to 14.16 over 12 hrs.

Previous to assembly I top balanced the cells to 3.65. Let them rest in parallel for 48hrs and then they sat separated for 72 hrs before i assembled... I also matched the voltage of each row... All 4 Rows were exactly the same voltage down to the thousandth place so the equalizer shouldn't have had much work to do.

The balancer on my bank makes a ringing sound when it's getting power. I'm not sure about the voltage dropping, but if you had cells that were lower than others and the balancer was working, I'd expect a little drop.

Matt

Damn thats a lot of power. You built that whole thing with no BMS? A balancer is good to add of course but a bms is mandatory. I see people doing this with these crazy dense headway power storage units but people that do diy lithium storage for tesla walls and diy EV bikes/cars/boats always invest in a quality bms or multiple quality bms's if they have to split it into numerous packs to not overload the bms's. Is this headway just so high output that its not economical to get a bms that's rated for that much output or has it just become normal to build them without BMS units?

The balancers are good to have to assist the bms and are especially needed if you have to split the storage unit into multiple packs that each have their own bms and the balancer is needed to connect the different bms units and keep things level. But a BMS is the top priority and a good bms will keep the cells balanced or equalized as that brand likes to say, but that's only a small part of what they do and a balancer isn't a replacement for a bms.

https://srikobatteries.com/product/...4-200a-common-port-battery-protection-module/ These are the BMS units I would use.

That is an amazing build and has an insanely high instant amp output but connecting that without a bms with that kind of amperage is dangerous imo. You need a bms and if you need to draw more than 200 amps for a long period of time you will need to split it and have multiple bms units if you want that setup to function properly and have longevity without cells failing or risking fires or cell explosions. If you keep it like that with no bms I would def make sure I have fuses everywhere with multiple redundancies because a balancer can't be relied on to not overcharge cells and if that happens without being overkill with fusing you would have problems. with 4S12P headway cells like that, thats as much as 2400 amps at 14.8 volts or so that could be drawn from them depending on resistance from the busbars. No matter what its a shitload of power that could instantly be drawn through those cells and conductors.

https://batteryhookup.com/products/super-beast-module-with-48-headway-38120-hp-3-2v-8ah-24v the experts that sell tons of this stuff and help advise diy projects with the packs and cells they get would never recommend using these without a bms. Just like they say on these headway packs they sell, you either need an 8s bms and use them at 24v or split them to two 12v packs with 4s bms units but they would never connect headway without a quality bms before anything else and wouldn't even advise or respond to someone talking about using them without a bms and just trying to get away with balancers. People are blowing up their houses and **** and burning people alive by cutting corners like that it happens all the time now. This is old af i guess idk if you ever got that balancer to manage that unit without having constant issues but if you are still fighting with it add a bms and let that monitor and balance the cells so you're not relying on a balancer that can only handle equalizing the voltage if its within a tiny margin. There are ways to calculate it but it requires a lot more than a little balancer to recover cells with that much power once they get even a couple tenths out of whac which they will and you wont even know if you dont check them constantly since theres no bms to notify you so by the time you check you might have a handful of bad cells before its noticable enough to check it and they won't be salvagable if they go too long and get drawn down too far. And if they go the other direction you would have way bigger problems.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...