need help building a subwoofer box for my subs

Siikdude

CarAudio.com Recruit
Florida
hi there.. so i have 4 x skar zvxv2 d2 subs and i have a jeep wrangler 10' the max diamentions in m jeep is a width 42in x length 26 1/2in would like less like 23 length or less if possible to have some space in my jeep, and the height i can do max 17in or i can do a Wedge Enclosures that measures 18 1/2in length max by 42 width max by back height max 25in and front height max 17in. i have some some models of what i was thinking. but i believe it has to much volume in it ill post it btw i like to listen to trap, rap, dubstep, house music, hiphop, edm

drivers recommendation is as followed by skar audio
Recommended Enclosure Specifications
Recommended Port Area 38.0 in² ,
Recommended Ported Volume 3.00 ft³
,Sealed Volume Not Recommended
Recommended Tuning Frequency 34 Hz

Subwoofer Measurements
Total Height 11.39"
Mounting Depth 9.89"
Magnet Diameter 7.85"
Cut-out Diameter 11.25"
Outside Diameter 12.62"

T/S Parameters
Bl- 21.8 n/a, Fs 44.0 Hz, Re Dual 2 Ω, Sd 510.0 cm2, Cms 0.04 mm/N ,Mms 341.0 gr, Qes 0.50, Qms 6.10, Qts 0.45. Vas 25.6 L. Nref 0.15%. Xmax 29 mm (one-way), Sensitvity 83.7 dB

box max dementions
24 length x 42 width x 25 height back panel with front panel 17 height, or 17 height max
volume displacement of my 4 subs should be 33.84 liters im not 100% sure on this.

this was my initial idea, and the middle has plexiglass.

pictures are in link below

Screenshot_20231224_223932_Samsung_Notes.png
Screenshot_20231226_121426_TeamViewer.jpg

I have a cabinet shop next to my job.. And they are willing to make the box out of Birch for me :)
NIce, that's a win for sure! I love ply, when it is furniture grade or when a kerf cut port is requested, a must in that case. I too have all my wood cut by a professional cabinet shop that has one of those $50,000 panel saws, stuff comes out with edges razor sharp and perfectly accurate. I mainly use 1.125" MDF which is VERY heavy $hit and a real bear to try and cut myself. Worth the extra $$ to have them do it.

Sounds like a plan!

Last edited:
NIce, that's a win for sure! I love ply, when it is furniture grade or when a kerf cut port is requested, a must in that case. I too have all my wood cut by a professional cabinet shop that has one of those $50,000 panel saws, stuff comes out with edges razor sharp and perfectly accurate. I mainly use 1.125" MDF which is VERY heavy $hit and a real bear to try and cut myself. Worth the extra $$ to have them do it.

Sounds like a plan!
I'm getting it done for free 😜

Well i dont mind the price for that wood.. And mdf is soft.. And absorbs humidity a lot faster.. I want something that will last.. Plus I'll be sealing it with either paint.. Or waterproof glue.. Its like a sealent
MDF for me. I've had my enclosure, that house 2 -12 inch subs for around 7 years. covered it with speaker cover carpeting. No humidity or moisture issues. Even if I could afford wood, I would have used MDF. Good luck with your project. Enjoy.

If it ain’t 13 ply I won’t use it. All the 7 ply I’ve seen is total crap. Voids everywhere, it comes apart, no good.
7 ply is bound to have more voids, no way around it. 13 is usually a little more dense too. As long as anything used is furniture grade, should be okay. I just use MDF, never use ply unless order calls for a specific kerf port or complex transmission line, anywhere one has to bend the wood. 1.125" MDF baby, never fails me!

Yes, 1.125" is 3/8" thicker. In a box like yours, it's too heavy unless you can reconfigure it and don't mind the extra 100+ pounds it will weigh. It's as much or more cost wise as the 13 ply birch too. I rarely use it (birch ply) though, unless it is specifically asked for by the owner of the vehicle it is going into, as other than weight, no difference. MDF is easier to work with, sets up nicely, doesn't splinter or split, takes to bondo and paint fantastically, just a few reasons most builders use it outside the cost factor. Evan if the cost was the same, I'd still use MDF unless doing a kerf.

Last edited:
I'm pretty big.. So 100ish or 200ish pounds I can lift. I just can't lift the box plus the subs together 😂.. Subs is 53 pounds lol.. And we will see each mdf and Birch I'll check out which one will do me better :)..

I'm pretty big.. So 100ish or 200ish pounds I can lift. I just can't lift the box plus the subs together 😂.. Subs is 53 pounds lol.. And we will see each mdf and Birch I'll check out which one will do me better :)..
Oh I get it, just put-n it out there!

It's all good man! ;)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...