Sundown U 15 facing up or forward?

I'm reviewing everything to try and make the bat install fairly easy, would sending bat neg inside on same side as speaker wires create any distortion? I want to keep sub amp ground on chassis and run 2nd bat negative down passenger side.
Have speaker wires and rcas on one side, power abd ground the other side

I am not happy with my x10 and I am going to try a Sundown U-15 D2.
Currently my rear seats have been removed and the x10 is facing down with port towards driver. I've heard on multiple occasions that facing my sub down and port forward is not the best way to setup.

I want a better kick and reading threads, 12"s and above give the best sound for subs.

I plan to have the box custom built as I did with the x10.

Soo...

port and sub facing ceiling?

Port and sub facing forward?

Install will go into a Nissan Frontier Crew Cab

XS D3400, 270 HO alt, Duracell G31, FSD 2600 and X10 (soon to be replaced).

I don't have enough friends with my interest of subs so I am limited to hear different setups/sub brands.

Tyvm
I'd get something else completely. Dd 3500 or dd redline 800

Have speaker wires and rcas on one side, power abd ground the other side
Yeah I thought so. I'll see if I can fit a 3rd 0ga along driver side but I doubt it.

I'd get something else completely. Dd 3500 or dd redline 800
The red line looks pretty sweet.

Are you a DD fan or just see this brand as a better fitting option?

where air cant even escape properly.
The point of a port isn't for air to escape.

That said, I think you were right about the big surround heavy MMS X series just not performing well 50hz and up. That's sort of what you get when you have a low Q woofer and tune it at 30hz.

I also don't believe an extra 3-4" of port area is going to be the silver bullet here. The weak link is the sub, which simply isn't designed for anything outside of whale songs, and the position of the box in the truck. Central located box is always a problem. In fact I'd go as far as to say if OP just throws more subs into that location he may continue to be disappointed. For something to test, he should try his current box in a back corner and experiment with facing the sub and port different directions and get a feel for how that changes the sound.

cWocDKb.jpg

This box we did in my brother's f250 is 3 cube net and works fairly well in this location. I have no doubt that without the seats and pushed all the away to the back wall it would perform better.

[quote name='BOOMINGRANDPA']everyone know x with big surround plays lows only.. pretty funny the guy that don't know diff between lp and hp xover insulting my knowledge[/QUOTE]

lmao...knowledge? What knowledge? Oh the fact that you keep posting the cheapest wiring/subs/amps bargains creating new threads? IS that the "bargain knowledge" your referring to?

Again, your misinformed. The X series DOES NOT play lows only. Quit spreading misinformation around. Since you have no "knowledge" of ANY of the Sundown X series, better off keeping your mouth shut about it.

Lastly, I've also noticed that every time I call you out in a thread, no matter what, you try and make a comeback of "we'll at least I know the difference between lp & hp". Dude, that shits getting old and you ALWAYS say it.

@West1, sorry 'bout the rant. It's people like him and papermaker that are constantly/continuously ruining forums such as this one....one's always arguing a lot while the other is spreading misinformation around.

The red line looks pretty sweet.

Are you a DD fan or just see this brand as a better fitting option?
I've seen a couple guys using redline series locally and they're pretty impressive for the price.

Definitely more suited to your goals IMO. Build box to DD spec (volume and port area/depth).

The point of a port isn't for air to escape.
That said, I think you were right about the big surround heavy MMS X series just not performing well 50hz and up. That's sort of what you get when you have a low Q woofer and tune it at 30hz.

I also don't believe an extra 3-4" of port area is going to be the silver bullet here. The weak link is the sub, which simply isn't designed for anything outside of whale songs, and the position of the box in the truck. Central located box is always a problem. In fact I'd go as far as to say if OP just throws more subs into that location he may continue to be disappointed. For something to test, he should try his current box in a back corner and experiment with facing the sub and port different directions and get a feel for how that changes the sound.

cWocDKb.jpg

This box we did in my brother's f250 is 3 cube net and works fairly well in this location. I have no doubt that without the seats and pushed all the away to the back wall it would perform better.
Interesting suggestion. Once I add 2nd bat today, I will move box 90* every few days.

As per DD subs, not many distributors around me. I've heard good things about DD in the past and I will keep them in mind. We all have our brand of choice and since Sundown is the only brand I have heard aside from the big names like JL and RF, sundown is the only brand I can trust. What lured me towards the brand is when Jacob was starting out, I enjoyed the story of a hobbyist gone mad (I see more passion within a brand when CEO is hands on), hence the Sundown pattern im on lol.

Op... I wonder what the length of the port IS on that box you've got, assuming the volume is actually near recommendations with a 3"x4" (12in2) port area it would be easy to tune that X LOW... lol... like really low (especially if the box is larger than recommendations). That coupled with the sub facing down I'm sure would absolutely kill any response in those upper frequencies. You pulled out the tape once to measure port area, I sure would like to know the length of the port and how far above the floor the baffle sits. I'm kinda cutting up the corpse here I know, but I'm interested in knowing what is causing you to dislike that sub/box combo. In my experience, Dem X's pretty much perform well, satisfy almost any customer, even with megaroll surrounds... lol. Box position/orientation and construction is most likely to blame here. Can you pull out the tape once again?

The install looks ghetto af... Im sure that wasn't what was envisioned

[quote name='Boomin_tahoe']lmao...knowledge? What knowledge? Oh the fact that you keep posting the cheapest wiring/subs/amps bargains creating new threads? IS that the "bargain knowledge" your referring to?

Again, your misinformed. The X series DOES NOT play lows only. Quit spreading misinformation around. Since you have no "knowledge" of ANY of the Sundown X series, better off keeping your mouth shut about it.

Lastly, I've also noticed that every time I call you out in a thread, no matter what, you try and make a comeback of "we'll at least I know the difference between lp & hp". Dude, that shits getting old and you ALWAYS say it.

@West1, sorry 'bout the rant. It's people like him and papermaker that are constantly/continuously ruining forums such as this one....one's always arguing a lot while the other is spreading misinformation around.[/QUOTE] others on this thread said x won't play above 50 so y didn't u run your mouth to them?

Op... I wonder what the length of the port IS on that box you've got, assuming the volume is actually near recommendations with a 3"x4" (12in2) port area it would be easy to tune that X LOW... lol... like really low (especially if the box is larger than recommendations). That coupled with the sub facing down I'm sure would absolutely kill any response in those upper frequencies. You pulled out the tape once to measure port area, I sure would like to know the length of the port and how far above the floor the baffle sits. I'm kinda cutting up the corpse here I know, but I'm interested in knowing what is causing you to dislike that sub/box combo. In my experience, Dem X's pretty much perform well, satisfy almost any customer, even with megaroll surrounds... lol. Box position/orientation and construction is most likely to blame here. Can you pull out the tape once again?
The install looks ghetto af... Im sure that wasn't what was envisioned
Sure I can measure.

Builder replied and is looking for the drawing. He could be busy today so I don't expect him to give me specs this weekend.

CORRECT! The box was no where near what I originally asked. As I said, after going back and forth with design, I got impatient and let the builder give me a square'ish box. I originally wanted the box to go over the floor slope and touch the back seats. That would of given me less height on the box (which is what I wanted) so passengers could sit on the box with the bench OEM cushion. I sat on my sub for approx. 6-7 months trying to get a box. Next box will be different //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I enjoyed the story of a hobbyist gone mad (I see more passion within a brand when CEO is hands on), hence the Sundown pattern im on lol.
Agreed, and Jacob is a really good guy and a true enthusiast. That said, the X is simply not a good sub and the new suspension/surround is nothing more than lost efficiency for the sake of being able to play way below tuning to post "flex" videos on youtube.

We rebuilt some zv2s with those new parts when they first come out for a friend and he lost 1.5dB...but he became able to play way below tuning like a retard without breaking them mechanically.

I've seen a couple guys using redline series locally and they're pretty impressive for the price.
Definitely more suited to your goals IMO. Build box to DD spec (volume and port area/depth).

What series Redlines and what kind of power? I've been seriously looking at the Redline 600s for a low powered spl build.

Agreed, and Jacob is a really good guy and a true enthusiast. That said, the X is simply not a good sub and the new suspension/surround is nothing more than lost efficiency for the sake of being able to play way below tuning to post "flex" videos on youtube.
We rebuilt some zv2s with those new parts when they first come out for a friend and he lost 1.5dB...but he became able to play way below tuning like a retard without breaking them mechanically.
This is why I am leaning towards the U series. I know I would like the best of both worlds and if there is a sub that's designed to be the middle man, its got my attention.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.