Sundown U 15 facing up or forward?

Update...

Installed amps to bat#2, installed sky high dual copper runs to sub amp (power/grounds) and bat#2, installed stinger volt meter... Had a ANL 150 fuse party (total of 5 new fuse holders, bat#1, before bat#2, after bat#2 (two runs) & mids amp) and took her for a spin...

14.3 was the steady number for about 25 min, mids never went into protect mode.

Then while still on the fwy, stinger meter dropped to 13.1 and stayed there for the remaining 10min drive (13.0 for a split second).

Is this normal?

Update...
Installed amps to bat#2, installed sky high dual copper runs to sub amp (power/grounds) and bat#2, installed stinger volt meter... Had a ANL 150 fuse party (total of 5 new fuse holders, bat#1, before bat#2, after bat#2 (two runs) & mids amp) and took her for a spin...

Then while still on the fwy, stinger meter dropped to 13.1 and stayed there for the remaining 10min drive (13.0 for a split second).

Is this normal?
You can't tell without measuring current consumption.

I know this though that will kill your alternator

Update...

Is this normal?
my buddy has only an agm under the hood and a group 31 in the back on a stock alt, he maintains 13.8 to 13.2 volts under heavy drop. FSD 2600.1, stock alt is 150 amps. Soooo idk man your mechman should keep you above 14 volts constantly with your amount of current draw. Might want to hit up mechman to see what they recommend.

at least its not below battery resting voltage anymore so you making progress.
Yeah true but I still don't like this. I asked about the voltage sensor over on the frontier forums. I'll likely get a reply in a week or so (very slow forum).

Today at cold start, I was at 14.3

about 10 seconds in, voltage drops to 13.1 and stayed there the whole 25 min to work. Dropping to 12.9 on heavy bass.

Parked and with engine running, I put the multimeter on bat#2 and FSD amp... both read 13.15

I reached out to the guy who sold me the mechman here on the forum, hopefully it's under warranty as I realized I purchased the alt 7 months ago. I did however keep my old OEM alt so a swap would be fairly easy.

I think its fair to say we can narrow it down to 2 things, the volt sensor or the HO alt. Hopefully its the sensor and singer has something for me //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

My ghetto setup. Next, mount amps on sheet of plywood

View attachment 26557287

How you cleaning that up?... false floor/new box?... mounting the gear to the rear cabin wall?.. I'd false floor it and box that "X" correctly as long as I had the sub. That's just me tho... What's your plans on the sub/box you currently got?
Correct, I plan to place the amps on cabin wall. Picked up some discounted plywood that was cut wrong at HD (perfect for my needs). False floor is a great idea, I think I will do that.

I am waiting for the builder to reply with specs so we can figure out a resolution if its incorrectly built (btw, I forgot someone asked for port length here). If there is a mistake, I would like a new box for the X10 or credit towards my next build.

As for the X10, I think im pretty set ...new build with a pair of subs. I am really interested in the U12's or a pair of SA15's.

Correct, I plan to place the amps on cabin wall. Picked up some discounted plywood that was cut wrong at HD (perfect for my needs). False floor is a great idea, I think I will do that.I am waiting for the builder to reply with specs so we can figure out a resolution if its incorrectly built (btw, I forgot someone asked for port length here). If there is a mistake, I would like a new box for the X10 or credit towards my next build.

As for the X10, I think im pretty set ...new build with a pair of subs. I am really interested in the U12's or a pair of SA15's.
On your amp.... I'd do the SA-15's at 1 ohm if you are looking for volume and being able to really push em, The U-12's might need more power to get the same. The SA's would be louder IMO anyways... Thats a FSD 2600?

Or even go with a single 18" sub ... something like this oughta get down and mount on a false floor, and match up with that amp pretty well... idk

J9VKwM.jpg

Btw... I said... "like this"... thats a LOW tune and with an "X" it'll really get low... lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Or even go with a single 18" sub ... something like this oughta get down and mount on a false floor, and match up with that amp pretty well... idk
J9VKwM.jpg

Btw... I said... "like this"... thats a LOW tune and with an "X" it'll really get low... lol
Correct, its a FSD2600.

I want to try 2 subs. I do understand if I go 2 U-series, I need to upgrade the amp. I would likely go with the scv3000 for the u Series.

If I stick with SA's then the FSD is the biggest I will go.

15's sound nice but I think 12" is the biggest I want to go.

I want loud and low for the power/voltage I am running.

Upgrading amps for a 400 watt gain is pointless IMO... it'll be inaudible I believe... you need at least 4k to hear any real difference and a decent box

I had a 3600 and 1/2 ohm with a 200 amp alternator and a pos red top and some power-hungry class ab fully regulated Amps in all at least 350 amps of draw and never dropped below 13.4. It only dropped from ripple..

One battery seems to be bad or discharging

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.