Fosgate t1500-1bd / Sundown X15 v.2

Participant count
  • Participant list

Bogie83

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi everyone, new guy here! New to this site, but not to car audio. But no expert whatsoever. Hence why I'm asking for help.

I currently drive a 1998 Ranger extended cab, with the back flip down seats removed and 3 CT Sounds tropo 10's in a box I built. Powering them is a Rockford Fosgate t1500-1bd. And I'm not satisfied with the bass I'm getting. So I have a sundown audio x15 v.2 on it's way in the mail now. Supposed to be here on Friday. What I'm wanting to know is if my amp is enough for the one sub? I haven't gotten a box for it yet. I have a full wood shop here and am still trying to figure out what style, and dimensions the box needs to be. I'm gonna ask that on the enclosure discussion here. If my amp isn't big enough, what's an affordable suitable amp for that sub?

Thank you for your time, and any input you provide! And if you have any other tips or advice, please share!

That amp should be fine. Curious why you went with a 15" instead of a couple or three 12's. You've effectively reduced the area of the air-pushing piston from 235 to 176. three 12's would have increased it to 339, close to dual 15's.

Anyhow, did a quick model of the driver in a 2.5 cu ft at 28hz, looked decent enough. Input the factory recommended 4.25, didn't change much, tuned optimum at 32hz. Someone might want to run it in Winsid for you but all in all, that amp will be fine whichever way you decide to go. The factory box is quite large and the port is too.

X 15"
SealedN/A
Ported4.25 ft^3
Displacement0.22 ft^3
Depth10.85"
Outside Diameter10.85"
Cut-Out13.83"
Recommended Tuning32hz
Recommended Port Area68 in^2

When you say you are not satisfied, what is it that is missing?

Last edited:
Hi everyone, new guy here! New to this site, but not to car audio. But no expert whatsoever. Hence why I'm asking for help.

I currently drive a 1998 Ranger extended cab, with the back flip down seats removed and 3 CT Sounds tropo 10's in a box I built. Powering them is a Rockford Fosgate t1500-1bd. And I'm not satisfied with the bass I'm getting. So I have a sundown audio x15 v.2 on it's way in the mail now. Supposed to be here on Friday. What I'm wanting to know is if my amp is enough for the one sub? I haven't gotten a box for it yet. I have a full wood shop here and am still trying to figure out what style, and dimensions the box needs to be. I'm gonna ask that on the enclosure discussion here. If my amp isn't big enough, what's an affordable suitable amp for that sub?

Thank you for your time, and any input you provide! And if you have any other tips or advice, please share!
Welcome to the site..
The question I have is.... Which CT Sounds Tropo 10s did you have? The DVC4 ohm or DVC2 ohm? What was the enclosure dimensions they were in and were they in a Tuned /Ported enclosure and if so what were they tuned too or in a sealed enclosure?
What does your electrical system consist of in the truck? Stock Alternator of how many Amps? HO Alternator ? how many amps? The Big3 Done? What Gauge?CCA or OFC? Stock single lead battery or Large AGM or two batteries or? What size is the Supply for the amplifier? Power and Ground wiring? Stock HU or aftermarket? Brand and Model?

I had the X15 for awhile. I put it in my 15 inch box that is either 4.25 cubes @ 36 HZ or 4 cubes tune to 25 HZ (I have multiple ports that can be plugged or opened to change tuning). The first demo I gave, I sold the sub (Couldn’t convince him to buy it with the box, even though that was why it sounded so good). That sub handled every bit of a 2K amp without any struggle. I wish I had a 3k to do some real testing with it before it sold.

That amp will definitely get the sub moving but to get the most out of it you should be using something closer to 3k to compensate for impedance rise.
As far as box size goes I would stick close to what sundown recommends. 4 cubes for a 15 is relatively normal.

That amp should be fine. Curious why you went with a 15" instead of a couple or three 12's. You've effectively reduced the area of the air-pushing piston from 235 to 176. three 12's would have increased it to 339, close to dual 15's.

Anyhow, did a quick model of the driver in a 2.5 cu ft at 28hz, looked decent enough. Input the factory recommended 4.25, didn't change much, tuned optimum at 32hz. Someone might want to run it in Winsid for you but all in all, that amp will be fine whichever way you decide to go. The factory box is quite large and the port is too.

X 15"
SealedN/A
Ported4.25 ft^3
Displacement0.22 ft^3
Depth10.85"
Outside Diameter10.85"
Cut-Out13.83"
Recommended Tuning32hz
Recommended Port Area68 in^2

When you say you are not satisfied, what is it that is missing?
Hey, thanks for getting back to me so quickly! To be completely honest with you, I went with a 15 because I've never had one before lol when I got this truck I put a kicker solo baric l7 12 in it with a hifonics Brutus. It got stolen, so I replaced with 2 Rockford p3d2 12's in a ported box. Someone offered to buy then so I sold them. Then I went with 3 alpine 10's. Had them for a month or so until I got the tropos. I thought going to one 15 would still sound good, and give me a little room in my truck back. I got a 6 year old with me the majority of the time, so space is limited. And I didn't feel like I could get those deep lows out of the 10's.

Welcome to the site..
The question I have is.... Which CT Sounds Tropo 10s did you have? The DVC4 ohm or DVC2 ohm? What was the enclosure dimensions they were in and were they in a Tuned /Ported enclosure and if so what were they tuned too or in a sealed enclosure?
What does your electrical system consist of in the truck? Stock Alternator of how many Amps? HO Alternator ? how many amps? The Big3 Done? What Gauge?CCA or OFC? Stock single lead battery or Large AGM or two batteries or? What size is the Supply for the amplifier? Power and Ground wiring? Stock HU or aftermarket? Brand and Model?
I believe they're the dvc4's and I have them wired into a 2 ohm load. And I'm pretty sure the enclosure is my main problem. I went off the factory dimensions for one multiplied by 3. And wasn't aware how critical the port dimensions were. I'm an incredible woodworker, Machinist and fabricator. But when it comes to the technological Parr and electronics, I'm not so great. So I have a hard time with the tuning aspect. I am running a high output alternator, optima yellow top agm battery, big 3 with 4 gauge ofc, 0 gauge ofc from battery to distribution box, 4 gauge ofc to Fosgate t1500-1bd, and 4 gauge ofc to Kenwood 400 watt 4 channel, older Kenwood ddx814 head unit, dynamat throughout, and I'm probably forgetting something

Attachments

• IMG_6392.JPG
    IMG_6392.JPG
    373.5 KB · Views: 24
A couple of things. First., did you say that you have them wired to 2 ohms? If that is the case, and you are running them in parallel, that is a 0.66 ohm load to the amp, not a good idea. Now if they're dual 4's wired to 8 and all in parallel, that would be 2.66 and you're fine. That aside, what is the volume of the enclosure, the port dimensions, the opening, and the length? The box is everything and if your port is tuned for 1ft and the box is 3, you could be way off and that would be a substantial loss of low end...

Last edited:
A couple of things. First., did you say that you have them wired to 2 ohms? If that is the case, and you are running them in parallel, that is a 0.66 ohm load to the amp, not a good idea. Now if they're dual 4's wired to 8 and all in parallel, that would be 2.66 and you're fine. That aside, what is the volume of the enclosure, the port dimensions, the opening, and the length? The box is everything and if your port is tuned for 1ft and the box is 3, you could be way off and that would be a substantial loss of low end...
My bad! I was wrong about the subs. I've got dual 2 ohm subs not dual 4's. And I'm gonna measure the box as soon as I get home.

My bad! I was wrong about the subs. I've got dual 2 ohm subs not dual 4's. And I'm gonna measure the box as soon as I get home.
Wired to option #1 would be ideal for those subs. I have quite a few 10s. in the proper enclosure, tens can get down pretty good with the right amount of power and the right enclosure for the environment too. Those 3 tens should walk all over that single 15 in the properly tuned enclosure

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...