Sub will only work if I have 1 RCA cable plugged in.

Participant count
  • Participant list
Thats a nice amp man. Make sure you have the switch set to LO on the Input level and use the RCAs directly to the right of that switch that says INPUT White on top/Left and the Red on bottom to Right, should be same from the HU is common practice. MAKE SURE You turn your Gain down to about 9-Oclock position or lower if you did not place the Input level switch on LO, and make sure your Volume Knob on the HU is down to a low listening level also so you dont clip or blow a sub.. LOL
Thanks, that's exactly how I have it set up currently... I bumped the gain up too high at one point and blew the protective screen right off the 10 inch loaded sub I bought, woops! Turned that down, all better now.

Unfortunately with the wires connected as they should be, is when I have the issue, so I'm thinking I might just end up running off one of the 2 RCA cables if I can't get this figured out. Still sounds good to me...

Specs.. What ohm load are you wired too? What brand and model are your subs
It's a 2ohm 10 inch sub currently. The Skar SK10TBV. Originally I tried using 2x Skar EVL-65 D2 6.5 inch subs in the rear deck, but I I think I prefer the 10 over the 2 6.5's.

The 10 inch sub only has one set of external connections, so the dual 2ohm factory config is my only option unless i break into it and change things.

Have youwent in on your HU and found to turn SUB WOOFER ON?
Yep, there is an on/off setting, and a phase setting. I tried both of those.

The *only* thing I can do to get the sub to work is unplugging one RCA cable. Very odd situation. I'll be trying another set of RCA cables tomorrow when I get my hands on them. Hopefully it's as simple as that, but at this point I'm not sure how the cables can be the issue if the cables can individually send the signal to get the sub to work, but when they're both plugged in, nada...

Unless there's some kind of weird grounding issue going on with the cables?

Thanks, that's exactly how I have it set up currently... I bumped the gain up too high at one point and blew the protective screen right off the 10 inch loaded sub I bought, woops! Turned that down, all better now.

Unfortunately with the wires connected as they should be, is when I have the issue, so I'm thinking I might just end up running off one of the 2 RCA cables if I can't get this figured out. Still sounds good to me...

It's a 2ohm 10 inch sub currently. The Skar SK10TBV. Originally I tried using 2x Skar EVL-65 D2 6.5 inch subs in the rear deck, but I I think I prefer the 10 over the 2 6.5's.

The 10 inch sub only has one set of external connections, so the dual 2ohm factory config is my only option unless i break into it and change things.
I had a Dust cap blow off and hit me in the right side of my head in my 240sx doing 110 on a freeway while banging. LOL

The *only* thing I can do to get the sub to work is unplugging one RCA cable. Very odd situation. I'll be trying another set of RCA cables tomorrow when I get my hands on them. Hopefully it's as simple as that, but at this point I'm not sure how the cables can be the issue if the cables can individually send the signal to get the sub to work, but when they're both plugged in, nada...

No man.. The cables should not be the culprit if both Ch work individually.be a waste of $ going to purchase another set and wasting your time, already knowing its not the RCAs

Im pretty sure its going to be the HU more than likely. got be a setting issue or like mine.. Internal HU issue. Could have been a firmware issue or ?? I just pulled that one out and put another HU in and even a BNEW one afterwards and no issues

Im pretty sure its going to be the HU more than likely. got be a setting issue or like mine.. Internal HU issue. Could have been a firmware issue or ?? I just pulled that one out and put another HU in and even a BNEW one afterwards and no issues
I appreciate all of your help thinking this through.

Since the sound quality is decent even with just 1 RCA, I might just go that route for now until I upgrade head unit. Only bummer is the head unit I have is an ILX-W650, and I paired that with a KTA-450 amp (they fit together in the double din opening like peanut butter and jelly. If I went with another head unit, I'd like to find something similar where there's a small amp that can fit behind the dash to drive the speakers separately.

So.. a simple check on the RCAs would be that (if you have the HU pulled to get to the backside of the HU, #1 Check make sure you are on S or SW L+R OUT on back of the HU, or Rear if you have it set up that way. Take one RCA, white and plug into Left on HU, and L on Amp, if works, Great! Then remove and place R/Red on L/White on HU and same on Amp in and try same with other ch as a single RCA Out from HU to single IN to amp on both RCAs, If both work R/and White at a single run from HU to Amp , the RCAs are fine. Its going to be the HU. It has an Internal issue recognizing a dual input on sub ch from the HU board

So.. a simple check on the RCAs would be that (if you have the HU pulled to get to the backside of the HU, #1 Check make sure you are on S or SW L+R OUT on back of the HU, or Rear if you have it set up that way. Take one RCA, white and plug into Left on HU, and L on Amp, if works, Great! Then remove and place R/Red on L/White on HU and same on Amp in and try same with other ch as a single RCA Out from HU to single IN to amp on both RCAs, If both work R/and White at a single run from HU to Amp , the RCAs are fine. Its going to be the HU. It has an Internal issue recognizing a dual input on sub ch from the HU board
Sounds like it's definitely the HU then. That's a test I did earlier today, and it works fine on each RCA individually, so I think you're right, that it's likely an internal HU issue at this point. Guess I'll ride on it with 1 RCA cable until it's time for an upgrade!

I appreciate all of your help thinking this through.

Since the sound quality is decent even with just 1 RCA, I might just go that route for now until I upgrade head unit. Only bummer is the head unit I have is an ILX-W650, and I paired that with a KTA-450 amp (they fit together in the double din opening like peanut butter and jelly. If I went with another head unit, I'd like to find something similar where there's a small amp that can fit behind the dash to drive the speakers separately.
I just looked up that HU.. Its pretty dammned nice too man.. It has 6 -4v RCAs out. Sub /rear/front. Should be working fine?? Is it still under warranty??? Have you tried to RESET the HU yet? You will have to put your settings back in. Hold that RESET Button for like 10 seconds with a toothpick works fine for me

Seems like this *might* be a common issue with the ILX-W650. I just stumbled across this thread, several people having the same issue. None of them mentioned unplugging an RCA, not sure if they tried that. That's my comment at the very end (Kozren).

I just looked up that HU.. Its pretty dammned nice too man.. It has 6 -4v RCAs out. Sub /rear/front. Should be working fine?? Is it still under warranty??? Have you tried to RESET the HU yet? You will have to put your settings back in. Hold that RESET Button for like 10 seconds with a toothpick works fine for me
I'll have to check the warranty period on it. I haven't tried a hard reset either. Might give that a go at this point as well...

Sounds like it's definitely the HU then. That's a test I did earlier today, and it works fine on each RCA individually, so I think you're right, that it's likely an internal HU issue at this point. Guess I'll ride on it with 1 RCA cable until it's time for an upgrade!
Try a Reset too. Could help? You may call and see if there is a Firmware update on that HU too that may fix that issue even?? If not.. Id tape up the exposes RCA or remove from the HU and amp and run the single side until an upgrade when funds permit.?

Seems like this *might* be a common issue with the ILX-W650. I just stumbled across this thread, several people having the same issue. None of them mentioned unplugging an RCA, not sure if they tried that. That's my comment at the very end (Kozren).

I'll have to check the warranty period on it. I haven't tried a hard reset either. Might give that a go at this point as well...

Wow!!! Interesting man. Very 👀 👀 :poop:

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...