Sub enclosure

Participant count
  • Participants list

Copr

CarAudio.com Newbie
so i have a 18 jeep compass. I was curious on about bulding a possible flase floor and using the majority of the space beneath the cargo cover for an enclosure. My question is would i lose any output(not into the spl) i seen a video about caf building a similiar enclosure to what mind would be. But a buddy pointed out that it may work cause it is using the trunk as a bounce off. But also reccommended doing a down fire. So could i have them fire upwards thru the false floor or would it be better to have them downfire into the wheel well

The sound wave coming from front and back side of the cone is the same. Mounting inverted is only about either looks or mounting depth.

If you plan to use some sort of spare tire well or similar for an enclosure be aware it'll need reinforcing. People use some combination of wood and fiberglass to pull this off. It is also important to make sure you have adequate airspace in the enclosure.

All that said, spare tire well is not optimum position for a sub but it's a good option for space saving/stealth builds.

The sound wave coming from front and back side of the cone is the same. Mounting inverted is only about either looks or mounting depth.

If you plan to use some sort of spare tire well or similar for an enclosure be aware it'll need reinforcing. People use some combination of wood and fiberglass to pull this off. It is also important to make sure you have adequate airspace in the enclosure.

All that said, spare tire well is not optimum position for a sub but it's a good option for space saving/stealth builds.
It would built built out of plywood all around just in the spare tire well. And im not big into spl but its the only way i can think of adding 2 10s or one 10 instead of my one 8 inch. I cant give it anymore cargo area. And under the cargo shelf there is quite a bit of space so thought it may work

FIguring out how much NET volume you have for a box is critical in deciding what is going to perform properly for you.
I know u havent ordered anything yet wont till i find out if i can even fit and have enough air space. Was thinking the level 1 dc audio 10s. Or 2 10 ab xrs. The only thing is is i go xrs theyd be grossely under power by half. And the dc audios would be over powered a little the amp is a ct at900.1 wired to 1 ohm

I know u havent ordered anything yet wont till i find out if i can even fit and have enough air space. Was thinking the level 1 dc audio 10s. Or 2 10 ab xrs. The only thing is is i go xrs theyd be grossely under power by half. And the dc audios would be over powered a little the amp is a ct at900.1 wired to 1 ohm
I doubt 2 of anything is going to work well in that kind of space.

I was interested in a down firing sealed 12” in the tire well of my Focus for similar reasons. Up firing will work too but you will need a sturdy grill over the sub. I think the down firing could work good but it would be difficult to do properly. My idea was to fiberglass a passage for the front wave to move up and out of. Imagine the scoop on a funny car but a sub firing out of it sort of. It might end up functioning like a single reflex band pass enclosure though. Anyway, I am going to do something different now because the thought of building it is overly intimidating. But, I think it can be done if you wanna go that route. Raising the floor is pretty easy and you can incorporate the frame work into the box which I think makes it a very practical way to go. I think optimal location is usually on the passenger side in the rear corner but it shouldn’t matter much. If you cross the subs over as low as possible. I think that just under 60 hz is where I personally stop being able to localize bass. Like 58 or 59. You will need to play around some and you don’t want to leave a hole between the mids and the sub. Get it to blend well and shoot for the lowest frequency you can. 👍

That is a lot of room. The guy who did my install years ago had an 87” Scirocco with one 15” in the tire well firing up with a sealed enclosure and he had excellent sound quality and enough volume to have a lot of fun. I think you should have no problems. I was also thinking about it after my last post and JL used to make a Stealth Box for first generation Dodge Intrepids that was shaped kinda like an upside down mushroom. It had a 12” that was down firing and you put it in the tire well and then you could put the spare tire on top of it. I used to wish they would do one like that for my Civic. I don’t remember how they vented the sound out from under the enclosure but they did it so it’s possible. Keep us updated on which way you decide to point your sub/subs, I am very curious as to how it turns out 👍

That is a lot of room. The guy who did my install years ago had an 87” Scirocco with one 15” in the tire well firing up with a sealed enclosure and he had excellent sound quality and enough volume to have a lot of fun. I think you should have no problems. I was also thinking about it after my last post and JL used to make a Stealth Box for first generation Dodge Intrepids that was shaped kinda like an upside down mushroom. It had a 12” that was down firing and you put it in the tire well and then you could put the spare tire on top of it. I used to wish they would do one like that for my Civic. I don’t remember how they vented the sound out from under the enclosure but they did it so it’s possible. Keep us updated on which way you decide to point your sub/subs, I am very curious as to how it turns out 👍
If i decided it will most likely ported tuned to about 38. I listen to mainly rock and metal so dknt need tremendous amounts of low end. Honna talk to my buddy who builds boxes to see if itd even be possible with the cargo floor there

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.