Soft parts make subs take more power.

Was that directed at you? Calm yourself before you jump the gun kid...

I was supporting your point...

Sensitivity is not a viable way to measure anything really on a sub. Sometimes they use a 10k hz note and measure sensitivity there.... a sub will never see that high of a note if used correctly.

Was that directed at you? Calm yourself before you jump the gun kid...
I was supporting your point...

Sensitivity is not a viable way to measure anything really on a sub. Sometimes they use a 10k hz note and measure sensitivity there.... a sub will never see that high of a note if used correctly.
well as u can tell from my response your "support" for saying sensitivity is not a viable way to measure sq was confusing. it could have gone either way.

i simply cleared it up.

i am young, but not as young as you, but i dont mind if u call me kid, i like being young

The "standard" frequency for sensitivity is 1000 Hz -- most speakers are measured or calculated this way. This makes it not very useful for sub-woofers.

CMS has nothing to do with it either... Example :

I have a driver with a CMS of 140 uM/N and an Fs of 33 Hz with a Sens of 88.5 dB -- Qts is 0.272 for this example.

If I make the CMS 70 uM/N (twice as stiff) the Fs is now 46.6 Hz but the Sens is still 88.5 dB -- Qts also changed to 0.385

The second driver has more mechanically power handling as it is more difficult to move -- and low frequencies call for significantly more movement than high frequencies.

We can already see why Sensitivity is useless for low frequencies... typically a lower Sens driver (resulting from more mass or a lower motor force factor... not CMS) has MORE low-end extension for a given enclosure volume, actually.

While I'm here... I see alot of folks talking about sensitivity and/or MMS as THE spec for SPL woofers. They are not in and of themselves... Sensitivity depends on two specifications for the most part -- motor force factor AND mass.

What is really important here is the ratio of the two... for example if I have a driver with a BL^2/RE of 108 and an MMS of 223 grams the sensitivity is 85.5 dB -- if I take that driver a put a heavier cone on it but also make the magnet enormous for a BL^2/RE of 198 but with a resultant MMS of 301 grams to keep sensitivity at 85.5 dB... which do you think will be louder ? Based on our testing the latter driver will be around a full dB louder -- with an identical sensitivity.

Too many variables to even make the most simple of generalizations. There are always exceptions to any kind of rule, normally many exceptions.
soooo...this? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.