Pioneer discontinues user-replaceable parts within 3 years!

jeffw_00

CarAudio.com Newbie
USA
So as I mentioned in a different thread, I had a problem with my Pioneer AVH-W4400NEX rebooting occasionally when I press the touchscreen. Since I have 2 identical units (one for each car), I swapped Detachable Faceplates (DF) and the problem followed the Faceplate. Thus I need a new DF. However, Pioneer has already discontinued the DF assembly, both for the 2018 AVH-W4400NEX, and the 2019 AVH-W4500NEX (which uses the same DF). I spoke with a manager at Pioneer support and pointed out that the DF would be a popular replacement part to keep in stock, as it's the only one that people could drop, or lose. It is also where a lot of failures could occur but is easy to replace.

He explained that Pioneer is shifting focus to the DMH line. He said that Pioneer still sold all the parts needed to -repair- the DF for my unit and suggested I send the entire unit for repair. I pointed out that parts, labor, and shipping that could easily cost as much as a replacement DF (~$350), and I would lose my unit for over a month (I'm across the country from their repair facility). He said repair was the option Pioneer provided, that they can "fix anything", but also mentioned I could also replace my (3 year old) head unit with a DMH in the $300 range. Personally, I appreciate that the rep. was straight with me, but I'm disappointed that Pioneer discontinues user-replaceable parts so soon after manufacturing a unit and may buy a different brand next time. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

I plan on going back to an Older Unit. Prob one my Eclipse or Alpine or Sony. Kenwoods are really dependable. Sony is making a really nice Come back.. but at a price, and offering a 3 yr warranty on theyre HUs that Ive seen on a couple.

Network mode is nice though. Top tier JVC has 2 or 3 way modes now so i’m looking at those as my replacement, if I can find one in stock

Yeah I have given up on Pioneer but still need 3 way active crossovers. Pioneer made it easy by calling them NEX. But seems everyone else I have to scroll through the specs list of each unit to see if list 3 way crossovers.

Last edited:
So as I mentioned in a different thread, I had a problem with my Pioneer AVH-W4400NEX rebooting occasionally when I press the touchscreen. Since I have 2 identical units (one for each car), I swapped Detachable Faceplates (DF) and the problem followed the Faceplate. Thus I need a new DF. However, Pioneer has already discontinued the DF assembly, both for the 2018 AVH-W4400NEX, and the 2019 AVH-W4500NEX (which uses the same DF). I spoke with a manager at Pioneer support and pointed out that the DF would be a popular replacement part to keep in stock, as it's the only one that people could drop, or lose. It is also where a lot of failures could occur but is easy to replace.

He explained that Pioneer is shifting focus to the DMH line. He said that Pioneer still sold all the parts needed to -repair- the DF for my unit and suggested I send the entire unit for repair. I pointed out that parts, labor, and shipping that could easily cost as much as a replacement DF (~$350), and I would lose my unit for over a month (I'm across the country from their repair facility). He said repair was the option Pioneer provided, that they can "fix anything", but also mentioned I could also replace my (3 year old) head unit with a DMH in the $300 range. Personally, I appreciate that the rep. was straight with me, but I'm disappointed that Pioneer discontinues user-replaceable parts so soon after manufacturing a unit and may buy a different brand next time. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Keep an eye for a faceplate on Ebay.

I don’t see the point of the tweeter, speaker, sub size and vehicle type options on the Kenwood/JVC. Someone enlighten me. I changed the settings and don’t hear any difference

I don’t see the point of the tweeter, speaker, sub size and vehicle type options on the Kenwood/JVC. Someone enlighten me. I changed the settings and don’t hear any difference
I assume it is to give a starting point to those whom are just starting in car audio. It is basically preset curves. Since you are well versed in this hobby, your settings are close to those presets.

I love my Kenwood. Mechless, shallow chassis with 3-way active capability. DSP. Plays HiRes audio files. Accepts NTFS file systems when USB drives are connected. Case in point, I was running a 2TB hard drive for my music. When I upgrade it will be to another eXcelon and will only be to get the updated and better touchscreen, WIRELESS Android Auto and a second USB connection.

Faceplates are not considered wear items and generally last the life of the deck, so i don't think that's unreasonable at all. I'd be more disappointed that it failed so quickly than I'd be about the discontinuation. I'm currently running two Eclipse decks from 2010 and an Alpine deck from around 2016 that all work fantastic. Are you hard on your stuff?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...