Soft parts make subs take more power.

Wait a minute though... what makes the two woofers in your(Jacob's) post different in terms of loudness? If they both have the same sensitivity? Are you talking about louder at max amplification? Or louder with a given watt input, i.e. 1w/1m???

Because if they both have the same sensitivity, isn't that the meaning of db@1w/1m?

Wait a minute though... what makes the two woofers in your(Jacob's) post different in terms of loudness? If they both have the same sensitivity? Are you talking about louder at max amplification? Or louder with a given watt input, i.e. 1w/1m???
Because if they both have the same sensitivity, isn't that the meaning of db@1w/1m?
As he stated sensitivity values are typically rated at 1000Hz. The speaker's response at lower frequencies will be much different, therefore this value is irrelevant.

Super stiff suspension are nothing more that mechanical limiters, they don't make subs "take" more power but rather they limit excursion if too much is applied by evoking a restoring force of similar magnitude to the BL(I) applied on the voice coil This can only work if the spiders are strong enough to withstand that kind of stress therefore you need lots of them. In other words, they reduce your excursion when you otherwise may have pushed the woofer too far. They don't improve your SPL and they do add distortion, but they may be necessary in preventing damage. Other ways to do it are as mentioned: limiters or just filters which can wokr better because they stop the signal and prevent not only mechanical damage but thermal damage. Limiters are more expensive and complex. You can also open the the gap on the voice coil and eliminate former collisions with the t-yoke under high power or make electromechanical braking systems on your voice coil such as a shorted aluminum turn above the coil or use a motor like the JBL DD. Limiters are possibly the best solution but the most complex and require a well designed closed loop system which is not generally found in car audio installs. Compliance stiffness is not a variable in small signal SPL but it does affect it in the large signal domain - Klippel results can reveal this behavior.

The second driver has a better ratio of motor force factor to mass -- despite have an identical sensitivity.

It would be louder at all power levels.

My point was, in fact, that sensitivity is pretty irrelevant to subwoofers -- even for SPL applications.

Compliance stiffness is not a variable in small signal SPL but it does affect it in the large signal domain - Klippel results can reveal this behavior.
Very good point Kyle -- we've measured dramatic SPL difference is spiders due to this fact.

Many folks don't consider that compliance changes with excursion -- especially with many commonly used spiders as it helps to prevent damage.

a sub with higher sensitivity will generally be more sound quality oriented. Softparts include the sipders. having a massive amount of stiff spiders will decrease sensitivity but increase rms capabilities. having less spiders, soft or medium, will increase the sensitivity. the coil aswell plays a big role in sensitivity. a LMS coil is the best for achieving a higher sensitivity while being able to handle plenty of power
very well decribed

matching spiders with coil and motor along wiyh power being applied is very important.

more spiders dosent always make the sub handle more power. the more you limit cone movment ur also reducing thermal powerhandling...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.