In looking up the specs for some subs that were given to me, I've learned they allegedly have a frequency responce of 21hz-3khz.

Participant count
  • Participant list

Sophia13913

CarAudio.com Newbie
UK
This freqency responce seems high to me for 12" subs. If i have the right spec sheet (90~95% sure), they're 150w rms, 300 peak. I know they're 4 ohm since ive measured them w/ multimeter. Im pretty much a noob to car audio So giving asmuch info as possible incase it's relevant, sorry if it's not. Wondering what if any considerations i should have concerning the settings for the lpf. Really just trying to get educated, thankyou xXx.

This freqency responce seems high to me for 12" subs. If i have the right spec sheet (90~95% sure), they're 150w rms, 300 peak. I know they're 4 ohm since ive measured them w/ multimeter. Im pretty much a noob to car audio So giving asmuch info as possible incase it's relevant, sorry if it's not. Wondering what if any considerations i should have concerning the settings for the lpf. Really just trying to get educated, thankyou xXx.
What are your subwoofers? What enclosure are they in? LPF setting has way more to do with your enclosure than your subwoofer. Set it to what sounds good and blends well with the rest of your speakers. Sealed enclosure you'll be able to set it higher than ported/vented if you want, but it's going to be different for each setup what sounds good. Your subwoofer's freq response isn't a very helpful metric for buying them honestly. Each company measures this differently, so unless you're comparing it along with their other products it's somewhat meaningless. What's far more important is what frequency the enclosure is tuned to.

Last edited:
"Frequency response" spec is rather meaningless for our purposes. You'll want to stay <120hz for sub duty and most people try to keep it at or around 80hz.

What are your subwoofers? What enclosure are they in? LPF setting has way more to do with your enclosure than your subwoofer. Set it to what sounds good and blends well with the rest of your speakers. Sealed enclosure you'll be able to set it higher than ported/vented if you want, but it's going to be different for each setup what sounds good. Your subwoofer's freq response isn't a very helpful metric for buying them honestly. Each company measures this differently, so unless you're comparing it along with their other products it's somewhat meaningless. What's far more important is what frequency the enclosure is tuned to.
https://www.fusionentertainment.com/legacy/products/subwoofers/en-sw120/specs
This is what i believe them to be. I intend to put them in a sealed box. Thankyou! Im just trying to be safe and not sorry. After i get them installed I'll give it a play and see what sounds best ^-^

This is what i believe them to be. I intend to put them in a sealed box. Thankyou! Im just trying to be safe and not sorry. After i get them installed I'll give it a play and see what sounds best ^-^

For a sealed enclosure you'll be able to go up as high as the scale allowed probably, but it won't sound good at max nor with lpf disabled. The higher frequency you go the more directional it is. My sealed 15" is currently set to 200hz on the lpf. If my speakers in the back weren't so bad at low notes I'd go lower, but it helps the surround feeling a little. Just be aware that a sealed enclosure will cost you a lot of efficiency and volume. It'll sound very accurate, and kick drums/bass guitars will sound closer to live, but those low drawn out synth notes will suffer in hip hop, dubstep, and rap music.

For a sealed enclosure you'll be able to go up as high as the scale allowed probably, but it won't sound good at max nor with lpf disabled. The higher frequency you go the more directional it is. My sealed 15" is currently set to 200hz on the lpf. If my speakers in the back weren't so bad at low notes I'd go lower, but it helps the surround feeling a little. Just be aware that a sealed enclosure will cost you a lot of efficiency and volume. It'll sound very accurate, and kick drums/bass guitars will sound closer to live, but those low drawn out synth notes will suffer in hip hop, dubstep, and rap music.
Thankyou for the information and advice :) very much appreciated ^-^

If that is indeed the woofer you have they may perform better ported but really sealed box is very forgiving and will probably be a lot easier to get your hands on over in the UK.

I think the important thing is just not over powering them. Fusion made a handful of competition tier products back 15 years ago but I think they're extremely entry level otherwise so if it says 150W power handling that's probably about it. Peak or Max power ratings are almost always ********.

Assuming you have a pair of these, find an amp that makes 300W into 2 ohm to feed the pair of them. If you're upgrading your factory speakers you may be able to find a decent 5 channel amp that does 80WX4 for your doors and 300W X 1 for the sub type thing that would be perfect to get you going all around.

Thankyou
If that is indeed the woofer you have they may perform better ported but really sealed box is very forgiving and will probably be a lot easier to get your hands on over in the UK.

I think the important thing is just not over powering them. Fusion made a handful of competition tier products back 15 years ago but I think they're extremely entry level otherwise so if it says 150W power handling that's probably about it. Peak or Max power ratings are almost always ********.

Assuming you have a pair of these, find an amp that makes 300W into 2 ohm to feed the pair of them. If you're upgrading your factory speakers you may be able to find a decent 5 channel amp that does 80WX4 for your doors and 300W X 1 for the sub type thing that would be perfect to get you going all around.

Thankyou for the info and advice :) i think a 5 channel is abit out of my price range hehe. I got a 2 channel (pictured) with the intention of using it for them, but after researching ive found people seem to recommend a class D for subs bc of the power efficiency. So i think im gonna get a mono amp (kenwood X501-1 mono is the one im considering atm, 500w rms @ 2ohms, though if i find a more suitable 300w rms powered one I'll probably go for that) for the subs and utilise the edge amp for the door speakers. Thankyou again!

Attachments

• 20200825_163818.jpg
    20200825_163818.jpg
    660.3 KB · Views: 192
The lpf setting on your subs should be dictated by the midbass response in your front stage. IOW, run your fronts as low as possible, and then adjust the sub(s) to accommodate. Like hispls said, ideally your sub's lpf will be set at 60-80hz. If you need to run your subs above 120hz, your front stage needs work.

The lpf setting on your subs should be dictated by the midbass response in your front stage. IOW, run your fronts as low as possible, and then adjust the sub(s) to accommodate. Like hispls said, ideally your sub's lpf will be set at 60-80hz. If you need to run your subs above 120hz, your front stage needs work.
Keeping in mind OP is in the UK so likely doesn't have access to the stuff we do at our prices.
So i think im gonna get a mono amp (kenwood X501-1 mono is the one im considering atm, 500w rms @ 2ohms,
Kenwood may be a safer bet than a lot of the brands you guys have access to over there. Even at 500W do be careful of pushing those subs too hard.

Thankyou! good way to put it. Although my fronts are aftermarket, they're nothing special. Gonna upgrade after i get a new headunit 😊

Thankyou! good way to put it. Although my fronts are aftermarket, they're nothing special. Gonna upgrade after i get a new headunit 😊
I would suggest sound deadening the front doors before you go to an additional aftermarket set, as that will often have more of an impact by far than the quality of the speakers. It's a common mistake to go for aftermarket speakers without deadening the door and then being disappointed; either because there's hardly a difference or you've got new resonance noise that wasn't there before due to higher volume and/or wider ranges.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.