Setting Level on LC7i and gains on amplifier

Participant count
  • Participant list

venturac

CarAudio.com Newbie
I am not a noob. 2018 silverado, I used a loopback harness from a guy, (I can give you email), and got everything wired great and good. I've never used an LOC before. I have an LC7i, and two amplifiers. One for my front tweeters and door speakers (front & back), and one for my subs. I want to know if I did this right on tuning them.
My sub amp max volt is 6 and highs amp is 6.5. I played a 40hrz at 3/4 volume and used a multimeter to measure the RVA. It only got to 3.8 volts. The input on channel 3 on my lc7i was reading when turned to the max is 3.8 volts. Then I put the multimeter to the wire terminals and I put it at 44 volts. Square root of 2000 w x 1 ohm resistance.
Did the same with my highs amp and did the most I could as it didnt reach 6 volts. The gains are hardly even turned. I believe this is the ideal way to do it. Am I right? Any suggestions?

The gains are hardly even turned. I believe this is the ideal way to do it. Am I right? Any suggestions
Higher output voltage from the radio is always favorable. The amp's gain can make use of any voltage within it's specifications, so it does not have to be at 6 volts for it to work properly. So you are good where you set it at if you got to your desired target voltage.

Higher output voltage from the radio is always favorable. The amp's gain can make use of any voltage within it's specifications, so it does not have to be at 6 volts for it to work properly. So you are good where you set it at if you got to your desired target voltage.
Thanks. How would I measure the ouput voltage from the stock head unit? Also, I'm assuming it's best to turn the input volume on the lc7i up more as compared to the gain on the amp?

How would I measure the ouput voltage from the stock head unit?
No need for that procedure, I was thinking of an aftermarket unit for some reason. What you do is set the radio volume at 75% with the LOC's gains down. Cut a spare set of RCA male ends, expose and split the wires. Plug one into the front output of the LOC. Turn up the front gain until you reach the 6v that the amp can take. Now do the same for the rear (left or right channel, does not matter). No worries if 6v can not be met.
Now connect LOC to amp with amp gains down. Connect MM to speaker outputs and sweep the amp gain until you reach your desired voltage. 1000 Hz for full range amp, 50 Hz fir sub amp.

Last edited:
No need for that procedure, I was thinking of an aftermarket unit for some reason. What you do is set the radio volume at 75% with the LOC's gains down. Cut a spare set of RCA male ends, expose and split the wires. Plug one into the front output of the LOC. Turn up the front gain until you reach the 6v that the amp can take. Now do the same for the rear (left or right channel, does not matter). No worries if 6v can not be met.
Now connect LOC to amp with amp gains down. Connect MM to speaker outputs and sweep the amp gain until you reach your desired voltage. 1000 Hz for full range amp, 50 Hz fir sub amp.
Thank you I did that. It sounds great! Thanks for the advice.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

venturac

CarAudio.com Newbie
venturac
Cincinnati, OH
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views