Plywood vs particle board?

Subwoofer box. A buddy said

"It flexes way to much and looses most of the frequencies generated by the movement of the material. It also is weaker and under extreme excursion pressures can break and have pieces bouncing around behind the he sub."

Subwoofer box. A buddy said
"It flexes way to much and looses most of the frequencies generated by the movement of the material. It also is weaker and under extreme excursion pressures can break and have pieces bouncing around behind the he sub."
Sounds like someone needs internal bracing..

I use 1" 14 ply OAK plywood. It's amazing, also brace to hell and back with dowel rods, then resin the entire inside of the box. Then I line-x the entire outside. My box = tank. You should do the same really. Maybe don't need multiple layers of 1" like I'm using but, I have had box flex and it ***** and kills numbers.

Birch is lighter and doesnt infect your lungs with cancer like mdf lol
I like the lightness of birch and the strength, as long as its braced there is no ringing or hollow sound some guys might claim. Price is worth it imho.
I use 1" 14 ply OAK plywood. It's amazing, also brace to hell and back with dowel rods, then resin the entire inside of the box. Then I line-x the entire outside. My box = tank. You should do the same really. Maybe don't need multiple layers of 1" like I'm using but, I have had box flex and it ***** and kills numbers.

I've never used plywood, but I'm willing to try it. What is the construction method, do I just glue n screw? Air nailer?

What do you gain with resin treating ? Stiffer ? Noob question but I am still a bit of a noob lol
No idea. Stiffness smoothness and filling pores (keeping it really airtight). Resin will absorb and penetrate deep into particle board.

Does it make a big difference ? My currant box would be too hard to do now but next box maybe ?
Won't make much difference to use on MDF or plywood, but if you were going to do it, you might as well use particle board.

The test was identical box built with MDF and with particle board, both tested. Then both coated with resin inside and tested again. Before resin MDF was ahead by a lot, after they were equal.

What type of birch do you guys use? Is it the kind with birch veneers front and rear with a softer core or the kind that is solid birch, veneers and core? The kind with veneers front and rear with a softer core is all I can find around here.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.