Painting my sub box

Participant count
  • Participant list

Rayher12

CarAudio.com Recruit
So I want to paint my sub box. I know that mdf absorbs paint so I know I have to put a layer between the paint and the wood. I was wondering if I should get wood sealant or a primer paint? If I should get a wood sealant can it be any kind?

So I want to paint my sub box. I know that mdf absorbs paint so I know I have to put a layer between the paint and the wood. I was wondering if I should get wood sealant or a primer paint? If I should get a wood sealant can it be any kind?
I use sanding sealer. Two coats works good.

If you paint mdf use a shellac base primer like BIN to seal the wood. Without using a primer you will need a good 5-6 coats of topcoat or even more depending on color and product you are using and if you try to use something with a high sheen it will dull because of the paint soaking into the mdf.

MDF is literally sawdust and glue pressed together with a lot of force. Its very porous and must be sealed.

Sanding sealer is for wood that will be clear coated with no additional stain or coloring step. I wouldnt use it on mdf.

If you paint mdf use a shellac base primer like BIN to seal the wood. Without using a primer you will need a good 5-6 coats of topcoat or even more depending on color and product you are using and if you try to use something with a high sheen it will dull because of the paint soaking into the mdf.

MDF is literally sawdust and glue pressed together with a lot of force. Its very porous and must be sealed.

Sanding sealer is for wood that will be clear coated with no additional stain or coloring step. I wouldnt use it on mdf.
Will the mdf swell since it’s water based?

Will it swell because it’s water based?

I’m pretty sure it’s oil based.

1A8D8A8C-C855-40E6-A859-CE2C04BC6EAA.jpeg

Kilz original is oil based that will work.

Kilz 2 is water based which you don't use on bare wood

Shellac based primers have the best binding and sealing properties on a wide range of surfaces.

Oil based primers stick well on wood and metal and can seal well too.

If you use a dark topcoat it's a good idea to tint the primer.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.