Experimental HT enclosure

Participant count
  • Participant list

Buck
5,000+ posts

little alien on campus
Does anyone have any HT equipment? I want to do an experimental design with a hybrid ported / t-line enclosure. Or we could even do a tapped t-line or sealed/t-line hybrid. I'm not sure when I'd be able to design it, just seeing if there's any interest. But I would prefer to try out a hybrid ported / t-line. It generally shouldn't matter how big or small it is to me. I'll do a HT 18" if you let me. I guess it probably needs to be at least an 8". I'd be looking to see if you had a woofer with a low Fs primarily, or just if you have one already that works great, we could just use that one. LMK

What I'm aiming for is a more like music oriented box. I could do it for movie rumbles and stuff, but music is harder and that's why I want to test it. It can still be tuned low. You know HT stuff, my regular speakers play down to 40 hz. So lmk what bandwith your 6.5's or 5" or whatever speakers play down to.

Here's my tower speakers. Mine play down to 40 hz pretty well. Idk if I even have them crossed over on the high pass at all. So if you have towers like this, and we do this box, lmk because I want to tune it to pair it with the rest of the system.

I have JBL L80T towers so 40hz is no prob.

I'm also in the process of building some 2 way ht towers with dual 6.5s and a horn tweet with cheap parts express stuff and I admit I haven't a clue what I'm doing other than getting the woofers to model fairly flat down to about 40-45hz.

Above 2khz who knows whats going to happen lol.

I have 3 different plate amps- 70w, 100w and 250w and I have an old Panasonic SA-HE100 (6x100w) receiver and a new Dayton 2.1 amp (50x2 + 100x1) and a ratty old JVC 3pc boombox lefrover from college with a built in sub amp that handles a 2 ohm stereo load even though the subs it comes with are 6s lol.

Also have a SPL lab, Dayton DATSv2 and a clamp meter for data collection.

I'm getting more into HT so this is right up my alley.

I have JBL L80T towers so 40hz is no prob.

I'm also in the process of building some 2 way ht towers with dual 6.5s and a horn tweet with cheap parts express stuff and I admit I haven't a clue what I'm doing other than getting the woofers to model fairly flat down to about 40-45hz.

Above 2khz who knows whats going to happen lol.

I have 3 different plate amps- 70w, 100w and 250w and I have an old Panasonic SA-HE100 (6x100w) receiver and a new Dayton 2.1 amp (50x2 + 100x1) and a ratty old JVC 3pc boombox lefrover from college with a built in sub amp that handles a 2 ohm stereo load even though the subs it comes with are 6s lol.

Also have a SPL lab, Dayton DATSv2 and a clamp meter for data collection.

I'm getting more into HT so this is right up my alley.

Me too, I'm stuck at home a lot (nothing to do with COVID) and HT subs are significantly less boosted by it's environment than if it was in a car. Low environmental pressure gain in HT, relative to cars. You can get a really "dry" sound from improperly pressurized loading chambers in HT, it seems like. I'm trying to find a way to do more high powered HT subs without just putting them in a sealed box. Like you want to jam to music and want some actual pressure, that's what I'm trying to aim for.

Like really a tapped t-line would be good for wide bandwidth I think. That'll have multiple harmonic peaks, that I can tune. But I want to at least have one high as I can get it pressure stage across a bandwidth. Parallel 6th's may be good at that but I'm just not a huge fan of of them.

Me too, I'm stuck at home a lot (nothing to do with COVID) and HT subs are significantly less boosted by it's environment than if it was in a car. Low environmental pressure gain in HT, relative to cars. You can get a really "dry" sound from improperly pressurized loading chambers in HT, it seems like. I'm trying to find a way to do more high powered HT subs without just putting them in a sealed box. Like you want to jam to music and want some actual pressure, that's what I'm trying to aim for.

I'm down for whatever, I can sacrifice up to about 8cubic feet but ideally 4-6.

I like the loud music idea, I'm using 2 cheap 10s in a SPL oriented setup and it plays old school rap really well and shakes the house.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.