Newbie question, is this amount of noise normal?

This sub does not have a pole vent on the back, which I do find a little odd.
I think the whole X line of Sundown Audio does not have a typical pole vent.

There is a spacer between the motor and the frame, the spacer is plastic and has straight cutouts as ports evenly spaced around the diameter.

I wonder if they would have gone with the ct sounds design of using metal cylinders as the spacers, rounded edges are better than straight ones when it comes to air noise.

http://ct-sounds.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Meso8_banner_1140.jpg

You are correct. I recall seeing a very tall solid pole piece on other stuff in their lineup.

Solid pole is generally louder/stronger so that's probably at least part of the reason

IMO mechanical noise like that is unacceptable. If that's as good as they get I'd be shopping elsewhere, if it's defective you should be looking to get a new one.

You are correct. I recall seeing a very tall solid pole piece on other stuff in their lineup.
Solid pole is generally louder/stronger so that's probably at least part of the reason

IMO mechanical noise like that is unacceptable. If that's as good as they get I'd be shopping elsewhere, if it's defective you should be looking to get a new one.
I agree that the noise is pretty loud and just doesnt seem right to me.

Though I have no frame of referrence as to how it's supposed to sound. Though the videos do not do the noise justice. I did run across another post where a guy had an X-8 installed, had it barely turned up and you could hear what I think is the same as what happening on mine. He said he took it back to the shop, they said it was defective and gave him a new one.

I've already been in contact with Sundown and Woofers Etc, they say it's normal...

This sub does not have a pole vent on the back, which I do find a little odd.
I think the whole X line of Sundown Audio does not have a typical pole vent.

There is a spacer between the motor and the frame, the spacer is plastic and has straight cutouts as ports evenly spaced around the diameter.

I wonder if they would have gone with the ct sounds design of using metal cylinders as the spacers, rounded edges are better than straight ones when it comes to air noise.

http://ct-sounds.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Meso8_banner_1140.jpg
I agree that the noise is pretty loud and just doesnt seem right to me.
Though I have no frame of referrence as to how it's supposed to sound. Though the videos do not do the noise justice. I did run across another post where a guy had an X-8 installed, had it barely turned up and you could hear what I think is the same as what happening on mine. He said he took it back to the shop, they said it was defective and gave him a new one.

I've already been in contact with Sundown and Woofers Etc, they say it's normal...[/QUOTE]

If I built a sub that sounded like that in testing I'd be tearing it down. I'm not sure what to say about that being "normal". Good luck with that.

I got the box put together, the output of the sub does overpower the noise from the pole vent, so that's good! Though for me I think I'd need them mounted regular, magnet on the inside of the box, just to help out the sq a bit.

Hello all, relative newbie here, just got my hands on a Sundown Audio X-8 D2, and was checking her out.
Got it hooked up to an SoundQubed Q1.2200.D v1 at 1 ohm.

When I turn up the volume a bit, there is quite a bit of noise coming from the pole vent.

I was curious if this was normal for this subwoofer, so if you happen to own one would you mind chiming in?

https://youtu.be/n54YjjFsE9o

https://youtu.be/dxiYH8YZx64

TIA,

spud
Check it out spudnic

One of my two is making a similar noise but it requires a lot more power going through and I've pin pointed my problem area

Normal ring gap on spider

46fe3e8c6585377f0d9e0b3b35ed388d.jpg

Problem area

f732b363f6ac5fc9c35e10660f2b3502.jpg

I'm in contact with the company I purchased mine through and will be in contact with sundown tomorrow as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Issue after issue with the new SA woofers and people just put the blinders on. This is normal and it's ok for spiders to rip. What's next?
Mine is a manufacture defect the ring was never secured down properly... And believe me I'm quite disappointed with the quality expecially at their current price points... I'm just hoping they will stand behind their product and cover it sending me a new one

Mine is a manufacture defect the ring was never secured down properly... And believe me I'm quite disappointed with the quality expecially at their current price points... I'm just hoping they will stand behind their product and cover it sending me a new one

I know. That 8 cost as much as mine. I hope it works out. If not check out the dark side.

I know. That 8 cost as much as mine. I hope it works out. If not check out the dark side.
Turns out I pulled all my screws and pried the plastic ring up found the spot the spider separated from the ring by not being screwed down all the way... Gd Chinese a holes... Gonna clean the ring up tonight and epoxy the phucker

8baa8a570595a5cc2dd6866073fbd69d.jpg

5d6dce01fb2a681487c4fb1dcc4a1e5d.jpg

Turns out I pulled all my screws and pried the plastic ring up found the spot the spider separated from the ring by not being screwed down all the way... Gd Chinese a holes... Gonna clean the ring up tonight and epoxy the phucker
8baa8a570595a5cc2dd6866073fbd69d.jpg

5d6dce01fb2a681487c4fb1dcc4a1e5d.jpg

I'm going to get flamed but that's a lot of money to spend on low quality.

This, spiders breaking, surround dimples and fall off. People don't know why I don't like sundown.

Flame on

I hope you can get it right. If not join the revolution.

I'm going to get flamed but that's a lot of money to spend on low quality. This, spiders breaking, surround dimples and fall off. People don't know why I don't like sundown.

Flame on

I hope you can get it right. If not join the revolution.
Couldn't fix mine good luck with yours bud hopefully it sounds normal in your box

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.