If I didn't like sundown sa what else can I try need suggestions......

ccapital83
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
NY
Ok I know a lot of you maybe all of you are sundown fans and I want to start out by saying I mean no disrespect at all. I tried my sundown sa in re different boxes with two different amps at rated power and double. Long story short end of day no matter what I tried for two weeks of changing setup I just never liked it my ears just didn't hear what they wanted. It just seemed more like a move air spl sub to me I want geeting that depth behind all the notes in music like I was missing out on something. Again I know it's sundown and i apologize to you fans but please if I just don't like the sound and I need a crisper more musical punchy sub what else can I try. I've owned a nvx vcw, Polk mm1040, a few re subs the Polk and nvx were very musical to me re was more like sundown to me. ANy suggestions would be appreciated I really want to find a tight crisp clean punch accurate sub. And I know it's all about the enclosure and setup wiring battery voltage etc so I mean generally speaking maybe a sub you think might have those qualities I'm looking for

IDK personally, but I hear DD is a very musical sub if you got the money. Keep us posted on what you go with and how it sounds.

I too have heard Sundown is a "noise" woofer and not a "musical" woofer. I have no personal experience.

Ok I know a lot of you maybe all of you are sundown fans and I want to start out by saying I mean no disrespect at all. I tried my sundown sa in re different boxes with two different amps at rated power and double. Long story short end of day no matter what I tried for two weeks of changing setup I just never liked it my ears just didn't hear what they wanted. It just seemed more like a move air spl sub to me I want geeting that depth behind all the notes in music like I was missing out on something. Again I know it's sundown and i apologize to you fans but please if I just don't like the sound and I need a crisper more musical punchy sub what else can I try. I've owned a nvx vcw, Polk mm1040, a few re subs the Polk and nvx were very musical to me re was more like sundown to me. ANy suggestions would be appreciated I really want to find a tight crisp clean punch accurate sub. And I know it's all about the enclosure and setup wiring battery voltage etc so I mean generally speaking maybe a sub you think might have those qualities I'm looking for
You should buy this while you still can:

TC Sounds LMS-R 12" DVC Subwoofer

Some of the best sounding drivers and with plenty of output.

What are the specs of these boxes? Are you sure its the sub and not lack of a proper enclosure?

With that said, i have been VERY pleased with the sound of my tantric subs. Reading your thought on it kinda reminded me of the way my soundqubed sounded in the wrong box. Its still not as musical as the tantric IMO in the proper box but i get the move air not Fq accuracy part of your statement.

Yeah man if you're rocking prefab boxes save your money and build or have someone build you the proper box. Then if you're not happy go about spending more money on another sub

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I had an SA-10 and thought it sounded decent on music. x2 on what type of enclosures? It doesn't mean much when you move from one incorrect enclosure to another. If you aren't after tons of output I would try the new sundown sd series, awesome underhung design. Other than that there are multitudes of options out there. What's your comfortable budget?

No that was when I first got it. Sundown sent me specs for a box to have built for the sa-10 and I still didn't like it. Actually it sounded better in one of the pre fabs I had not the one you saw in the pics I posted it was a different one with a higher tune at 40hz. I feel very disrespectful saying that because I know a lot of people on here are huge fans so again I have to say I truly mean no disrespect it's just not a sub I'll ever like doesn't matter what enclosure or amp I promise it's just my ears. Budget man At this point I don't even care how much it cost as long as it's musical sq and punchy I'd buy it for sure.

No that was when I first got it Jacob sent me exact box to have built for the sundown and I still didn't like it. Actually it sounded better in one of the pre fabs I had not the one you saw in the pics I posted it was a different one with a higher tune at 40hz. I feel very disrespectful saying that because I know a lot of people on here are huge fans so again I have to say I truly mean no disrespect it's just not a sub I'll ever like doesn't matter what enclosure or amp I promise it's just my ears. Budget man At this point I don't even care how much it cost as long as it's musical sq and punchy I'd buy it for sure.
kicker l7s/cvrs, or jl audio w0s in a prefab sealed/ported box on class A/B power is what you are looking for soundwise. All punchy midbass, no lows. Even some flea market subs will do that fine. Its cool man, I got neighbors just like you. They dont need anything under 40hz. They love the midbass region and only want that to be loud. What you are looking for is more in the lines of having a certain frequency response preference rather than "this sub is not punchy enough"

I Had a pair of JL w0s as my first system and at the time, thought that was punchy as hell. Then realized its just pure midbass 150hz down to 45hz

No that was when I first got it Jacob sent me exact box to have built for the sundown and I still didn't like it. Actually it sounded better in one of the pre fabs I had not the one you saw in the pics I posted it was a different one with a higher tune at 40hz. I feel very disrespectful saying that because I know a lot of people on here are huge fans so again I have to say I truly mean no disrespect it's just not a sub I'll ever like doesn't matter what enclosure or amp I promise it's just my ears. Budget man At this point I don't even care how much it cost as long as it's musical sq and punchy I'd buy it for sure.
So by punchy you mean what exactly? Are you saying it played too low for you? As in...it killed stuff like decaf, but lacked the upper end? Also, what amp did you have running it and what's your LPF set to?

It just didn't have the depth and feel to songs I know. Hard to explaine it just sounded like a spl sub. And when I say punch and musical I'll give an example the most musical punch sub I ever heard was my mm1040 it was so punchy hit hard and also was able to transition flawlessly from maroon five to dubstep to classical and sound perfect on all. I tried 3 amps first was the jbl ms-a5001 then kicker cx1200.1 and kicker kx800.1 again I think it's me not the sub per say because to me it sounded best in what everyone said to stay away from which was a higher tuned prefab which sounded best with my main music choice of dubstep.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.