New sub hates old enclosure, want to build my first box SWS-12d4

i think the jvc is actually only 2 volt pre-out, not an actual 4
Manufacturer says it has 6 channel 4v. Either way multiple people have recommended it & it just happened to be on sale as the cheapest option available. Wanted an alpine but to get more than 3-band eq & 4v they're more than double the cost of this unit 😑

Manufacturer says it has 6 channel 4v. Either way multiple people have recommended it & it just happened to be on sale as the cheapest option available. Wanted an alpine but to get more than 3-band eq & 4v they're more than double the cost of this unit 😑
all of these cheap ones arent that good at all. Only reason i made that comment because the gain needed to be pretty high on my buddy's setup and the amp was 5 volts to 0.2 volts on the potentiometer where it technically should have been 10-20% if it was a real 4 volt.

One thing I’ve learned in this hobby, you almost always get what you pay for. The race to zero has ruined this industry and there are a few good manufacturers left still making good stuff, but it’s not cheap. 

One thing I’ve learned in this hobby, you almost always get what you pay for. The race to zero has ruined this industry and there are a few good manufacturers left still making good stuff, but it’s not cheap. 

all of these cheap ones arent that good at all. Only reason i made that comment because the gain needed to be pretty high on my buddy's setup and the amp was 5 volts to 0.2 volts on the potentiometer where it technically should have been 10-20% if it was a real 4 volt.
Well I guess I can return it & keep scanning for one of the alpines then. Figured since it was recommended in multiple forum threads, had solid 5 stars out of many reviews on crutchfield, & checked all the boxes it was just a lucky sale I found.

So the outputs aren't true 4v... which means I'll turn the gain up on my amp which has been on a LOC for years... I should still expect to see an improvement right or am I still going to have to crank gain up? I was going to buy a used alpine UTE-62bt off ebay for around the same cost BUT every picture has the serial #s etc ripped off so probably stolen units being sold by pawn shops. Even if I didn't steal it, that's still some bad juju to put in my car.

Well I guess I can return it & keep scanning for one of the alpines then. Figured since it was recommended in multiple forum threads, had solid 5 stars out of many reviews on crutchfield, & checked all the boxes it was just a lucky sale I found.

So the outputs aren't true 4v... which means I'll turn the gain up on my amp which has been on a LOC for years... I should still expect to see an improvement right or am I still going to have to crank gain up? I was going to buy a used alpine UTE-62bt off ebay for around the same cost BUT every picture has the serial #s etc ripped off so probably stolen units being sold by pawn shops. Even if I didn't steal it, that's still some bad juju to put in my car.
it should still be fine just your gain will be a bit higher. You will still make some gains if you get something proper like higher end pioneer.

gains as in output and sound quality.

Last edited by a moderator:
it should still be fine just your gain will be a bit higher. You will still make some gains if you get something proper like higher end pioneer.

gains as in output and sound quality.
What would you consider higher end pioneer? Mind sharing a few models as reference so I can look into them? I was looking at the MVH-S600BS before but I don't think it's in the range of 'higher end' though it was within my budget range

What would you consider higher end pioneer? Mind sharing a few models as reference so I can look into them? I was looking at the MVH-S600BS before but I don't think it's in the range of 'higher end' though it was within my budget range
if you can find a used 80 prs, that'll be one of the best you can do, otherwise mostly the 150 and up range new which uses the better audio processing chips.  But the improvement wont be 2.5 x the price of the JVC. there's diminishing returns but you will still make some gains. My comment was mainly to let you expect that the gains will be slightly higher than expected.

350bts was replaced by the 360bts so that is one reason it’s cheaper. Also it doesn’t play CD’s. Other digital media receivers are similar priced but vary in options like time alignment,  3/9/13 band eq, 2 preouts even though the rear can be switched to rear/sub, HD radio, Seems single din aren’t being upgraded as much because people want double din touchscreens with apple and android play. 

350bts was replaced by the 360bts so that is one reason it’s cheaper. Also it doesn’t play CD’s. Other digital media receivers are similar priced but vary in options like time alignment,  3/9/13 band eq, 2 preouts even though the rear can be switched to rear/sub, HD radio, Seems single din aren’t being upgraded as much because people want double din touchscreens with apple and android play. 
I figured that was a main reason for the sale. Hoping it turns out to be a solid unit otherwise as mentioned I can always return it but I'm still trying to stick to a budget. My door speakers aren't amped so 2 preouts wouldn't make a difference to me if you have any quick suggestions I can add to my list.

p.s. I used to have a 2rz taco 5sp manual w/ balljoint flip & mild mods miss that little truck. Used to hurt a lot of honda feelings when they'd line up 😎

its always been that cheap from the release, sometimes it goes up to 80 but in general its that exact same price range. I knew about that head unit from the very start since the 340bts. Its not really a 4 volt pre-out from testing. 

I figured that was a main reason for the sale. Hoping it turns out to be a solid unit otherwise as mentioned I can always return it but I'm still trying to stick to a budget. My door speakers aren't amped so 2 preouts wouldn't make a difference to me if you have any quick suggestions I can add to my list.

p.s. I used to have a 2rz taco 5sp manual w/ balljoint flip & mild mods miss that little truck. Used to hurt a lot of honda feelings when they'd line up 😎
your subwoofer is amped, it makes a difference. 

To follow up, I ended up with a pioneer mvh-s512bs (I returned the JVC couldn't even stand how cheap the knob/buttons felt let alone lack of true 4v outs) hooked up with new RCAs & quality 12ga speaker wire... Night & day difference already can't believe I lived years of my life on stock HU with LOC. I have the gain turned all the way down & I'm hesitant to even turn the sub level up to max for how powerful it is now; those 4v outputs w/ quality rcas really makes a difference. Thank you everyone for your input & advice so far I would have been lost without yalls help.

Going to spend a few days playing with EQ & see where that gets me before proceeding to build a new enclosure.

To follow up, I ended up with a pioneer mvh-s512bs (I returned the JVC couldn't even stand how cheap the knob/buttons felt let alone lack of true 4v outs) hooked up with new RCAs & quality 12ga speaker wire... Night & day difference already can't believe I lived years of my life on stock HU with LOC. I have the gain turned all the way down & I'm hesitant to even turn the sub level up to max for how powerful it is now; those 4v outputs w/ quality rcas really makes a difference. Thank you everyone for your input & advice so far I would have been lost without yalls help.

Going to spend a few days playing with EQ & see where that gets me before proceeding to build a new enclosure.
Yeah most people dont understand the magic of what quality head units can do. I'm glad your setup improved. now imagine your old sub with this hahaha.

the biggest gain was that you have a full signal now aka 0hz to 20khz. Vs before with the stock head unit, there most likely was a built in high pass filter at 50hz that literally cut off all your bass and all you were trying to do was boost a nonexistent signal with an LOC. 

I have the CD version of that deck on the way. My RF amp goes to 12v so gains won't be all that low but will be lower than my current Kenwood KDC-X597. 

Other than using gain setting discs I don't use CD's. I do 320 on my iPod but moving forward it will be FLAC. 

Have you had a chance to tinker with your deck more? 

I have the CD version of that deck on the way. My RF amp goes to 12v so gains won't be all that low but will be lower than my current Kenwood KDC-X597. 

Other than using gain setting discs I don't use CD's. I do 320 on my iPod but moving forward it will be FLAC. 

Have you had a chance to tinker with your deck more? 
dont use CD disks, completely inaccurate. Use music, more specifically your hardest hitting song.  If you want to get analytical, use spectrum analyzer on audacity and see the DB levels and generate the test tone that matches the song and use that as a test tone to set gains. Also set gains with subs connected not disconnected its completely different when the amp sees a load vs no load. Basically saying the old digital multi-meter gain setting method using a 0 db test tone is beyond flawed for multitude of reasons.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.