McLaren 720s speaker upgrade

Joeko23

CarAudio.com Newbie
NJ
Hello everyone I’m trying to upgrade the stock speakers in my McLaren 720s because they sound like garbage. No highes or lowes just a bunch of crappy midrange. Anyway I bought a pair of pioneer TS-A1680F and tried installing them today. First I encountered the stock speakers had 2 inputs. 1 input on one side of the magnet and another input on the opposing side of the magnet. So I thought ok they are feeding extra power to 1 speakers from the factory amp. So I connected both inputs to the 1 input on the pioneer speakers. The speakers work great at low volume but when you turn it up even slightly it’s gets all scratchy and distorted. Anyone know what this could be??? At first I thought the pioneer speakers are garbage so I tested them on my home receiver and they worked flawlessly. So the speakers arnt damaged. Any suggestions what the problem could be? Also, I disconnected one the inputs thinking maybe the factory amp is just over powering the pioneer speakers. When I did this, there was no sound coming out of the pioneers.

Last edited:
listen buddy, do what you want but if your driving a 720s you should bring it into a licensed and insured audio shop to make changes to it. just say for instance to save weight and packaging mclauren decides to buid the audio circuitry into the main ecu, and you farting around with your pioneers runs an incorrect ohm load and burns up some circuitry.

Hello everyone I’m trying to upgrade the stock speakers in my McLaren 720s because they sound like garbage. No highes or lowes just a bunch of crappy midrange. Anyway I bought a pair of pioneer TS-A1680F and tried installing them today. First I encountered the stock speakers had 2 inputs. 1 input on one side of the magnet and another input on the opposing side of the magnet. So I thought ok they are feeding extra power to 1 speakers from the factory amp. So I connected both inputs to the 1 input on the pioneer speakers. The speakers work great at low volume but when you turn it up even slightly it’s gets all scratchy and distorted. Anyone know what this could be??? At first I thought the pioneer speakers are garbage so I tested them on my home receiver and they worked flawlessly. So the speakers arnt damaged. Any suggestions what the problem could be? Also, I disconnected one the inputs thinking maybe the factory amp is just over powering the pioneer speakers. When I did this, there was no sound coming out of the pioneers.
Are there tweeters or secondary speakers wired to the second input? If not, it's a dual voice coil midrange, which is strange, but it is a McLaren..

No there is no other speakers or tweeters wired there. So yes I think it is a dual voice coil. If so do I need to buy a dual voice coil speaker? Would that solve my problem?

No there is no other speakers or tweeters wired there. So yes I think it is a dual voice coil. If so do I need to buy a dual voice coil speaker? Would that solve my problem?
Not necessarily, you could try to wire it to the appropriate final impedance. Are there two pairs of wires from the original harness? You want to find the original resistance of each coil on the original speaker and try to match that.

Here's a good primer from a dedicated individual if you have the time to learn a little bit about the topic:

It mentions multiple speakers, you can think of a dual voice coil as two speakers just to get an idea of how it all works

Yes there are 2 pairs of wires. By the diagram the original speaker is wired in parallel. Positive to positive and negative to negative on 1 side of the coil and positive to positive and negative to negative on the other side of the coil.

Yes there are 2 pairs of wires. By the diagram the original speaker is wired in parallel. Positive to positive and negative to negative on 1 side of the coil and positive to positive and negative to negative on the other side of the coil.
Are you able to measure the original speakers impedence per coil with a multimeter? Or find the information online? You want to match your new speaker to the old speakers final impedence, however it was wired.

It's possible your new speaker is higher impedence and the stock radio doesn't put out enough power so you're turning the volume up and overdriving the stock radio into distortion.

I don’t think that’s what’s happening because it’s happening at low volume as well just much less often. I think the signal going to that speaker is restricted to only producing mid and low frequencies that’s why it distorts the tweeters. Is there any way I can measure the frequency coming out of the wires with a multimeter? Probably not right?

I don’t think that’s what’s happening because it’s happening at low volume as well just much less often. I think the signal going to that speaker is restricted to only producing mid and low frequencies that’s why it distorts the tweeters. Is there any way I can measure the frequency coming out of the wires with a multimeter? Probably not right?
Oh, you need a crossover for the tweeters. You're definitely sending full range signal to your tweeters. Component speakers generally ****. If you have a cutout for a midrange and tweeters, use it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.