Kick panel speaker location options for 1972 Chevelle

steele6794
10+ year member

Boston
I would like to install some 6.5 drivers as part of a 2 or 3 way( Haven't decided yet) active setup in the kick panels of my 1972 Chevelle. I have never fabricated custom panels for mounting speakers and would be willing to try but would prefer to use already made panels because of my lack of free time. I am going to show a couple of the kick panels they sell that will accept speakers and would like opinions on the difference of speaker placement between the 2 panels.
^^Although the above picture is not the exact product I feel it shows where the speaker location is clearer so I used this picture instead. There is not enough clearance behind the panel for the magnet so with these panels I would need to use a spacer ring.

^^These kick panels utilize the vent system in the car for their mounting location. speaker depth clearance is not an issue but looking at the pictures between the two you can see that they would be further under the dash and not sure how the sound would be for either a 2 or 3 way midbass/midrange driver. they also install in those plastic housings I pictured and not sure how well speakers would work in those. I suppose I could cut out the bottoms if needed but unsure if water damage would occur.

^^I just included this above picture so you can get an idea of where they will mount when installed. This is where the first pictured kick panels would mount and the vertical vent in this above picture is where the vent mounted option would go. I do like the ease and completely stock look of the vent mounted option so hopefuly some eq'ing would overcome the locations if they are less than ideal.

Last edited:
I like the vent mount option. I would install high quality speakers there to compensate for the location; and good insulation behind the panel.
Just one opinion. Good luck.

I would like to install some 6.5 drivers as part of a 2 or 3 way( Haven't decided yet) active setup.
View attachment 23414

Looks like some coax pictured... the kicks are solid by all appearances (make em' solid)... only installation and tuning will determine results.
Active?.. I think you need to look at staging along with mid placement/aiming too. Tweeter/hi-freq placement usually makes or breaks any Sq install... (think staging) I'd worry about that even more than worrying about semi-vented mids if Sq was the goal.

Those aren't my speakers or my kicks or my car, but I was just using the pictures to give a visual to help people give suggestions.

Building kickpanels is a very involved process. You need to build up a form with wood, fiberglass, bondo, or whatever, then make a mold of that, then make your panels from fiberglass using the molds. Each step will require tedious filling, sanding, smoothing, and trimming. IF you can find a tailor made kickpanel enclosure it'll be worth every penny to not have to do all that **** yourself. q-logic kicks I use in my Jeep and in my brother's Civic work very nicely. Kicks are a good location for mids and highs. If you have water coming in where those set you're going to have bigger problems than just audio related, the interior of your car is meant to stay dry.

The Q-Logics just go over the existing kick panel and without a spacer ring I'd have to use a very shallow mount speaker. I was finally able to get my kick panel off and this is a picture of the steel behind the kicks and why I'd have to use a spacer or shallow speakers 0909201745.jpg

I think my best bet is to put the speakers in the space allotted for the fresh air vents. It's a large area and I will try to seal it the best I can.

^^^^
This is the space I'm talking about

This is a picture of the cavity behind the kick panel that is used for the vents.

Also, by looking at the above picture you can see how close the speakers would be to the firewall (The fuse panel bolts to the firewall)

Will having speakers that far under the dash be a problem?

Coax speakers as the only front stage are like jack knives, they’ll get the job done but it’s butchery. Get a component set, mount the tweeters low and set to face the driver and enjoy.
A well made and properly powered shallow mount will provide everything you should expect from a 6.5”.
I’d run the “super Chevy” setup with a shallow baffle to shield water away.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...