Is a 6 Farad capacitor too big?

Recent developments at Mit have shown that the performance of supercapacitors can be significantly improved by using nanomaterials. The energy storage capability of a capacitor is directly proportional to its capacitance which in turn is proportional to the area of the plates or electrodes. Likewise the current carrying capability is directly proportional to the area of the electrodes. By using vertically aligned, single-wall carbon nanotubes which are only several atomic diameters in width instead of the porous, amorphous carbon normally employed, the effective area of the electrodes can be dramatically increased. While the achievable energy density of 60Wh/Kg still can not match the level obtainable in Lithium Ion batteries (120Wh/kg), the power densities achieved of 100kW/kg are three orders of magnitude better than batteries.

Commercial products are not yet available but should be soon.

Similar advances are promised by the use of new very high permittivity dielectrics such as Barium titanate.

Recent developments at Mit have shown that the performance of supercapacitors can be significantly improved by using nanomaterials. The energy storage capability of a capacitor is directly proportional to its capacitance which in turn is proportional to the area of the plates or electrodes. Likewise the current carrying capability is directly proportional to the area of the electrodes. By using vertically aligned, single-wall carbon nanotubes which are only several atomic diameters in width instead of the porous, amorphous carbon normally employed, the effective area of the electrodes can be dramatically increased. While the achievable energy density of 60Wh/Kg still can not match the level obtainable in Lithium Ion batteries (120Wh/kg), the power densities achieved of 100kW/kg are three orders of magnitude better than batteries.

Similar advances are promised by the use of new very high permittivity dielectrics such as Barium titanate.

It’s awful hard to explain physics to someone who says stuff like dem caps is all junk cuz. Duh I am a tard and I know batherys is whats you need. Just fill your batherys with brondo it’s the thirst muttillater

So I don't know how I came across this thread in the first place but I see this guy asking over and over again can his cap be to big. I am far from a pro when I comes to car stereo installation but I have done my share of basic installs for my self and friends and try and give this guy an answer. Now that I look at it I believe the reason I tried to answer the question is because I just did a 6 frad cap for one of my amps and I also found it frustrating that no one would answer this guy.Its now 4 months later and I come across what happened after I tried to help this guy.

I was called a troll and I have no idea what I am talking about. I was made fun of for trying, I did give my email address so If some one had something to show me what was wrong I could possibly learn something. This did not happen.

User rsilver1211

email abc6812@ Comcast.net
well maybe if ya didn't post BS lies about your amp you might have been a tad more believable...

you stated you were getting verified and tested 2400 rms @ 1 ohm from your amp on only 120 amps of fusing... math and Ohms law do not lie dude...

120A * 12V = 1440 watts then factor in efficiency ( 80% on that amp would be amazing... )

so that gives us 1440WRMS * 80% ( or .80 ) = 1152 watts at the very most....

FULL of misinformation. All the "caps are evil" nut huggers came out of the woodwork for this one. If they had ANY electronics knowledge at all they'd know how silly they look in this thread.
Capacitors have there place, but they're useless for what they're marketed for in the car audio industry.

Recent developments at Mit have shown that the performance of supercapacitors can be significantly improved by using nanomaterials. The energy storage capability of a capacitor is directly proportional to its capacitance which in turn is proportional to the area of the plates or electrodes. Likewise the current carrying capability is directly proportional to the area of the electrodes. By using vertically aligned, single-wall carbon nanotubes which are only several atomic diameters in width instead of the porous, amorphous carbon normally employed, the effective area of the electrodes can be dramatically increased. While the achievable energy density of 60Wh/Kg still can not match the level obtainable in Lithium Ion batteries (120Wh/kg), the power densities achieved of 100kW/kg are three orders of magnitude better than batteries.Commercial products are not yet available but should be soon.

It’s awful hard to explain physics to someone who says stuff like dem caps is all junk cuz. Duh I am a tard and I know batherys is whats you need. Just fill your batherys with brondo it’s the thirst muttillater
It's pretty obvious that you copied and pasted that from somewhere else considering you accidentally pasted it twice. This may surprise you but there are people on this board with some actual electrical knowledge (including myself) so maybe you should keep your condescending comments to yourself.

Capacitors have there place, but they're useless for what they're marketed for in the car audio industry.

It's pretty obvious that you copied and pasted that from somewhere else considering you accidentally pasted it twice. This may surprise you but there are people on this board with some actual electrical knowledge (including myself) so maybe you should keep your condescending comments to yourself.
Your right I am surprised that there would be people with electrical knowledge around here after reading threads full of fail like this one. I don’t post very often on here but I have been around here long enough to know that there are some very smart members on this site. I doubt that any of them would take what I said as an insult to their knowledge.

Agreed but people saying "take them out" etc are equally as stupid. If the cap doesn't help fine, but it's not going to hurt anything either. Unless it is just BAD it could never be the parasitic drain a battery is, yet people around these parts hail batteries as the second coming. Lol it's just hilarious how confident some people are with rehashing things they do not understand yet heard someone else say.

well maybe if ya didn't post BS lies about your amp you might have been a tad more believable...
you stated you were getting verified and tested 2400 rms @ 1 ohm from your amp on only 120 amps of fusing... math and Ohms law do not lie dude...

120A * 12V = 1440 watts then factor in efficiency ( 80% on that amp would be amazing... )

so that gives us 1440WRMS * 80% ( or .80 ) = 1152 watts at the very most....

The only post worth reading in this whole thread.....//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Your right I am surprised that there would be people with electrical knowledge around here after reading threads full of fail like this one. I don’t post very often on here but I have been around here long enough to know that there are some very smart members on this site. I doubt that any of them would take what I said as an insult to their knowledge.
Yep, I'm in my 4th year of Electrical Engineering so I'd say I've got a bit of knowledge //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Still plenty to learn though //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

Agreed but people saying "take them out" etc are equally as stupid. If the cap doesn't help fine, but it's not going to hurt anything either. Unless it is just BAD it could never be the parasitic drain a battery is, yet people around these parts hail batteries as the second coming. Lol it's just hilarious how confident some people are with rehashing things they do not understand yet heard someone else say.
Adds weight to the car....lol //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

I did not look to see that the post was so old. I never used a cap before and never looked into it. The one I got was for free and I did not think it could do any harm. I dont every remember saying that a cap would make the sound any better. All I know is my system sounds nice and I never had any problems with it. My old system had a problem when the bass would hit the head lights would dim. I do not have this problem with the cap in line.

The amp was not so large that I feel the need for a second batt.

Some of you guys are very nice and understanding.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.