Looking For Help Regarding Fusing Multiple Amps and a Capacitor/D-Block Combo

Participant count
  • Participant list

JasoninDLH

Jason Was Here
MN
Alrighty folks…will someone please check my fusing with my proposed setup as I’m totally frying my brain with this.

Here’s my setup:

D2B9801D-3C93-4F31-B385-542A6D34D846.jpeg

I will have three amps: 300 W, 1000 W, and 200 W. The recommended fuses for each are 30A, 100A, and 20A, respectively.

I am also installing a D-Block/Capacitor Combo (the NVX XCap10H).

I’m confused about the main in-line fuse and the recommended fuses for the amps. Say, for instance, the 200 W amp wire shorts and I have a 150A fuse at the battery, will that not cause a fire? Do I install three extra fuses after the NVX d-block/cap for each amplifier’s respective fuse rating (as circled in the above schematic)? Based on the following I should not (granted this is in reference to a capacitor separate from the d-block)…
D9A2F561-6C91-4401-BD30-0B8C155C7F7E.jpeg

I’ve always installed one mono block and a couple subs and this is my first multi amp setup and over thinking this like crazy. 😵‍💫

Shoot…I’m seeng now that 4 awg ampacity is much less than 150amps. Perhaps I’ll have to scratch the 1000 watt amplifier as I already ran 4awg. Although…ampacity is measured for continuous power, so maybe I’ll be good?

Are you using 4 gauge for everything?

If so, you technically only need to fuse it at the battery up front.

You can fuse each amp if you want to or if they do not have built in fuses, but if they have built in fuses I wouldn't bother. Just run the 4 gauge from the battery to distro block, then 4 gauge from the distro block to each amp, done. Fuse the 4 gauge at the battery with a 120A fuse of course.

Now, if you are using smaller power wire for the lower power amps, you need to fuse each "smaller wire" at the distro block. Example, if you were to using 4 gauge from the battery to the distro block, you would fuse the 4 gauge near the battery with a 120A fuse as you normally would, then at the distro block you connect an 8 gauge wire, you fuse the 8 gauge wire as close to the distro block as you can (within 12-18") with a 50A fuse, then run it to the amp.

That said, you'll probably be okay running 4 gauge for that setup. Listening to music you are not going to max it out, maybe if you sit there with sine waves playing full tilt you'd stress it, but that is unlikely how you will be using it.

Last edited:
The amps are not fused themselves. I am considering using smaller gauge wire for the 200 and 300 watt amps (I believe they only recommend 12 awg and 8 awg respectively). I will fuse these like you suggest.

Thanks!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...