Install Quote, My wallet hurts!

I can install it myself, its just a matter of deciding if I want to.
Let me help you decide....

Doing it yourself...

1. Right off the bat you'll have 900 in cash to spare...should be a no brainer.

2.You will learn soooo much...not even just about stereos...lots of car stuff that is good to know when it breaks down.

3. Piece of mind that it's done right and not slapped in there.....just take your time...number one rule of install is don't be in a hurry because more often then not if you try and rush it then it won't come out good.

4. If there is a problem you will have a much better idea about what is wrong if you put it in yourself...instead of going back to the installer and fighting w him to correct the problem.

having some one do it for you.

1. your hands wont get dirty

2. your fvcking vag wont hurt

3. you'll be totally ignorant about whats going on with your system and vechicle.

Or you take someone's advice on a forum that may not know what they are doing (even though they have installed all of their friends systems with no problems) and you damage something in your car. Then as the person in the forum may not be a professional, is your job really done correctly (or correct in their eyes and not correctly professionally from a good installer - as in not a hack). You get what you pay for when it comes to install. If the installer is a professional hack artist, yes, do it yourself as it is probably going to be the same. If the installer is good, chances are slim to none that there will be any issues and if any issues do develop, you know that they will get looked after properly. Hack installers and the DIY guys keep me busy at my shop. Forums like this one, no offense to the forum either, breed business for some shops with good installers. So the guy on the forum will do it for a case, and what if he FAKS your car over, do you think he is going to pay for it or tell you to go piss up a rope? You have good equipment, find a good installer and go for it unless you find a good installer willing to step you through it.

I understand. Everything you guys are saying I already know. It's truly just a matter of deciding, "okay, do I want to have the peace of mind and hassle-free install, or do I want to do it myself".

If I do this install myself (which, I'm fully capable of doing everything except the Big 3, and possibly dynamat) I'll save myself alot of money. The big issue here is doing half the work myself only poses more of a problem for the installer as most installers on these forums have told me they don't want to pick up where someone left off.

It's looking like I'll do everything except big 3 and dynamat on the trunk/doors. Heck, I may do the doors myself too. I know I shouldn't have expected much lower of a price, it's just the fact that I would have peace of mind and also get my factory equipment put back in for free later down the road (something that I would love to skip out on).

do it yourself. i jus did mine and itz basically simple
It's really not "simple". But as long as you are mechanically inclined, have someone who is willing to help you and you don't blindly take any old dumbasses advice you will do fine and be much better off in the long run...I'll tell you right now it's going to be hard at first and yeah your going to **** some stuff up initally, but if you don't do it now then you will NEVER learn and will always have to pay someone and always be in the dark about what they are doing everytime you want something done...fvck that. oh and hassle free install? your joking right? think those guys at tweeter aren't going to cut corners even thought they are "pros"?

**** yo u must be new to car audio. that seems like a really fair price. i know it hurts to drop down a wad of cash like that, but looks like u r getting a proper job and good equipment.

dynamatting will probably be the most confusing part... there is a lot of little crap work that you have to do with that, and if you don't know how to take YOUR car speciffically you will most likely break a clip at the very least. that's a lot of work to do, and 900 isn't bad for a shop.

OT, why do you need 2 1000/1 for one 12 w7? are they strapable?

Find a forum member near you.......Chances are he will help you out for a 12 pack, and you can gain some valuable experience along the way.
See I'd love to do that.

I don't mind supplying beer and food and whatnot; I just would love to have an experienced installer to help with the install (wiring things up, help fab ring mounts, etc) and make suggestions while I also get to learn from them and a bit more about my car by taking it apart and installing stuff.

RE: Forbidden's comments about pro shop work vs hack DIY work: My goal would be to work with someone who has some pro shop experience and thus knows what their doing. I'm already going to be working with a n00b: ME. ;p

Now to find a good installer in the Columbia, MD area, let alone one with some time to spare...

^^^^ that is a contentious issue as well though. There are many professional hacks in our industry though and they work everywhere. The trick is to find the professional installer amongst the professional hacks, that is tough to do. I am kind of lucky being in Canada and in a relatively small market area. I do not have the sheer volume of people that come in my door like the majority of the shops in the US. While it means that the profitability of the store suffers due to lack of sales by comparison, it also means that the install is not anywhere near as pressing as it is in the busy US shop. A good custom shop may or may not let you in their trade secrets. Realize that part of what I do as a custom shop might be proprietary, why should I feel obligated to give out my advice for free? As a professional installer should I not be paid for the job I do? Sometimes yes I have customers here that have the abilities to do the job, but lack the finesse and tools to do it properly, those people are my customers and I definitely will coach them on what they need to do to bring it up to the next level and allow them to do the work here under my guidance. I also work with my other installers and have them critique my work to see what I need to have brought up to the next level (like the Commander we have here needing more led's to light up the door speakers, to me I wanted to show the center of the speaker grill, to him the corners of the grill looked just blank, without his input I could not have improved the install for the customer). We can all learn something from a good installer, it just ***** that there are so few of them and even fewer people willing to pay the price.

Here is a link to a custom job currently in the bay.

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?TID=77325&PN=1&TPN=1

Like I said, I'm not new to car audio. I've installed my equipment into my previous car (2000 explorer) myself. It's just the fact of having peace of mind.

You guys also have to realize that since this is a relatively new car on the market, noone I've talked to has done an install on this and I'm more or less worried that my car is going to be the "guniea pig". It's a matter of trust here. I don't think the guy will do a bad install. It's just thinking whether or not for $900 I want to let someone "experiment" on my car, so to speak.

I'm very willing to bet that the installer would do the work under the table for a whole lot less money //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

I'm very willing to bet that the installer would do the work under the table for a whole lot less money //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
x2 that is possible u never kno worth a try to ask

$900 to install all of that is very reasonable for a shop //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
I don't think so at all.

So, you have ALL of the equipment?

Just STRAIGHT labor, labor only... my Circuit City would charge ~$500 (Overestimated too, including tax... and including a small charge sine the equipment wasn't bought from us...) That is if you were Joe Shmoe, and walked in and asked me how much to install the stuff you listed. Keep in mind, our installs are warrantied for the life of the vehicle as well. At ANY Circuit City in the US.

Now, if that $900 price includes...

-Wiring and accessories

-Box for the subwoofer

-Custom mounting for components

It might get a little closer... to about $900... but maybe a little less...

Just an //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

nG

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

bikinpunk

10+ year member
G-g-g-g-g-unity!
bikinpunk
Alabama
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date