FEATURED Hooptie Scion TC build

Alright I'm going to seal off the wall and extend the port some more. Possibly cut the port in the middle and 45* it to get more length. If I'm still not happy I'm getting rid of the 18s and getting 4 Sundown Xv3 12s.

Stevens audio MB 8" mids should be back in stock this month. Going to get two of them to replace my PRV 8"s.

Last edited:
Alright I'm going to seal off the wall and extend the port some more. Possibly cut the port in the middle and 45* it to get more length. If I'm still not happy I'm getting rid of the 18s and getting 4 Sundown Xv3 12s.

Stevens audio MB 8" mids should be back in stock this month. Going to get two of them to replace my PRV 8"s.

The box is 12 cubes net 🤔

If I had time, I’d build you two badass 18’s for parts cost but If I was in your shoes, I’d get two Fi 4” coil 18” neos with 3 layers on the spiders or even the HC’s.

Trust me I regret not getting the Fi neos or Fi MTs over the Evils. :poop:

The evils only have 3 spiders and an FS of 25hz though.

Last edited:
Trust me I regret not getting the Fi neos or Fi MTs over the Evils. :poop:

The evils only have 3 spiders and an FS of 25hz though.

I never believe TS specs 🤣. You can pull them yourself and they can be drastically different. 3 spiders from one can be very different from the other as well. You can get those evils to get low the problem is you probably will need 8 cubes each to do it. Many of the high wattage subs have very stiff suspensions and require a large enclosure to get that nasty low end output. It’s possible if you call Fi they can do two layers on the spiders. I don’t know the deflection rates on the spiders they use or they stiffness of the surrounds on their cones or I’d be able to tell you what to order. If they are willing to give you at least that info on the spiders, I can tell you what to go with.

I never believe TS specs 🤣. You can pull them yourself and they can be drastically different. 3 spiders from one can be very different from the other as well. You can get those evils to get low the problem is you probably will need 8 cubes each to do it. Many of the high wattage subs have very stiff suspensions and require a large enclosure to get that nasty low end output. It’s possible if you call Fi they can do two layers on the spiders. I don’t know the deflection rates on the spiders they use or they stiffness of the surrounds on their cones or I’d be able to tell you what to order. If they are willing to give you at least that info on the spiders, I can tell you what to go with.

Yeah I don't believe them either. Even their site says they are 77 pound subwoofers yet the shipping boxes with plywood inside said 74 pounds. I did have my SHDs in a massive wall and massive port and they played amazing.

Think a different set of 18s is the way to go over 4 Xv3 12s?

Last edited:
Yeah I don't believe them either. Even their site says they are 77 pound subwoofers yet the shipping boxes with plywood inside said 74 pounds. I did have my SHDs in a massive wall and massive port and they played amazing.

Think a different set of 18s is the way to go over 4 Xv3 12s?

I’d take 2 18’s over 4 12’s 8 days a week! 2 18’s have more cone area then 4 12’s and those two Fi 18’s would cost less too.

I’d take 2 18’s over 4 12’s 8 days a week! 2 18’s have more cone area then 4 12’s and those two Fi 18’s would cost less too.

My reasoning for the 4 Xs is I would have more baffle space for port and I think they would do well in the box size I have. Plus they are some low end monsters.

My reasoning for the 4 Xs is I would have more baffle space for port and I think they would do well in the box size I have. Plus they are some low end monsters.

They would most definitely work excellent in the box you have. Cause I’m lazy and don’t want to go back to see if I can find this info. How many sq inches of port area do you currently have?

They would most definitely work excellent in the box you have. Cause I’m lazy and don’t want to go back to see if I can find this info. How many sq inches of port area do you currently have?

Honestly can’t remember what it’s at right now. I want to say 190. I keep playing with shrinking. I’ll measure it tomorrow.
IMG_1238.jpeg

Honestly can’t remember what it’s at right now. I want to say 190. I keep playing with shrinking. I’ll measure it tomorrow. View attachment 54602
190 you are on the bigger side for port area. In 12 cubes depending on the subs of course, I’d bring it down to 160. Id still be doing those 18’s but if you had to go with 12’s, I’d do 4 Fi neo 3.5’s with 2 spiders. They sell them with that option so no reason to even call or ask.

190 you are on the bigger side for port area. In 12 cubes depending on the subs of course, I’d bring it down to 160. Id still be doing those 18’s but if you had to go with 12’s, I’d do 4 Fi neo 3.5’s with 2 spiders. They sell them with that option so no reason to even call or ask.

I'll drop the port area some more and see how it does.

Thing I dislike about Fi website is the confusion with power handling. (at-least for me)

When you click Neo subs it shows all of the 3" at 2500rms and all the 4" at 4500rms. But when I click on Neo 3.5 it says 1750 RMS. The 4.7 says 4500 but then "Standard with the Plus coil and 4 spiders. 3500W-4500W" and also "2750W on up depending on options"

So I don't know if the 4.7 is 4500rms or if I need to get 4.11s to get 4500rms. Says depending on options but there are literally no options to select like the old days when you could select "cooling" and different coils.

Last edited:
I'll drop the port area some more and see how it does.

Thing I dislike about Fi website is the confusion with power handling. (at-least for me)

When you click Neo subs it shows all of the 3" at 2500rms and all the 4" at 4500rms. But when I click on Neo 3.5 it says 1750 RMS. The 4.7 says 4500 but then "Standard with the Plus coil and 4 spiders. 3500W-4500W" and also "2750W on up depending on options"

So I don't know if the 4.7 is 4500rms or if I need to get 4.11s to get 4500rms. Says depending on options but there are literally no options to select like the old days when you could select "cooling" and different coils.

It is confusing I agree. Go by the following ratings for power:

3.5 = 1750 rms

3.7 = 2500 rms

3.9 = 2500 rms

4.7 = 4500 rms

4.9 = 4500 rms

4.11 4500 rms

It looks to me all the extra cooling options etc are standard now. The only real choice is spiders. More spiders can increase power handling but you trade off low end. Stiff setups like this should be used when all out spl is the goal in bigger enclosures . In 12”, 4 of the 3.5’s is all you will need and if you stick with 18” two of any of the 4” coil models is all you need. I’d love to get my hands on just two of any of the 4” coil neo motors so I can build it my way. I may have to call them 😅. My next setup will be 2 18’s in a ford maverick and if I build those my usual way, they are about 110 pounds each. I would love to use those motors and save lots of weight. Done rebuilds on them before and they are my favorite neo motors.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...