Help with my new Setup

Participant count
  • Participant list

Mgman111

CarAudio.com Newbie
So I recently added a subwoofer, amp and a new head unit to my 2008 Jeep Wrangler. I also have The kicker speaker upgrade which are 2 door speakers and 2 sound bar speakers rated at 75w rms each. My new head unit is a Sony XAV-AX5000 and I’m unable to turn the volume up past half without the speakers sounding heavily distorted. Unfortunately it’s not loud enough to really get the subwoofer playing so I don’t quite know what to do from here.

Have it tuned by someone who has the correct tools to get your amp settings dialed so you dont blow your speakers up. Also headunit settings play a role as well. Cranking every bass setting to max or setting in general will cause it to sound bad as well.

Have it tuned by someone who has the correct tools to get your amp settings dialed so you dont blow your speakers up. Also headunit settings play a role as well. Cranking every bass setting to max or setting in general will cause it to sound bad as well.
I have all of the bass settings turned down. The amplifier only powers the subwoofer and the components are just powered by the head unit. The head unit is rated 55watts x 4 so I feel like the speakers should handle that.

I have all of the bass settings turned down. The amplifier only powers the subwoofer and the components are just powered by the head unit. The head unit is rated 55watts x 4 so I feel like the speakers should handle that.

Which sub and amp did you add? It sounds like your system just isn't isn't tuned right. Maybe, the highs are turned up too much on the HU and the sub gain isn't set correctly.

Which sub and amp did you add? It sounds like your system just isn't isn't tuned right. Maybe, the highs are turned up too much on the HU and the sub gain isn't set correctly.
It’s a cheap amp, but this is my first build and I installed everything myself and didn’t want to break the bank. I have tried turning the bass settings on the amp that powers the sub up and turn the lower frequencies down on the head unit. I just want the sub to hit on the lows and have the door speakers for mids and highs.

1. Have you set your filters on your speakers yet.
2. If you bought a cheap amp you may not have the gain properly set. This may include turning it up but not for sure.
3. Also did you follow the correct wiring for your sub to your amp to get proper impedance load. There should be a diagram in your amp instruction manual.

It’s a cheap amp, but this is my first build and I installed everything myself and didn’t want to break the bank. I have tried turning the bass settings on the amp that powers the sub up and turn the lower frequencies down on the head unit. I just want the sub to hit on the lows and have the door speakers for mids and highs.

Most people suggest that you start with the bass off and turn your HU up until the highs start distorting. Then, adjust your bass. Start with the crossover on the amp at 80hz. and then adjust the gain.

Listen to the advice people are giving you to check. Nobody knows the equipment you have or what your install looks like.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.