Help with installing components front and rear

Participant count
  • Participants list
Ok so here are some updates. Between life and going down the rabbit hole with this one I just managed to install front speakers amp etc. I deadened the front doors. Closed the holes in door to approximate closed box. Fabricated brackets for my speakers, gave them ccf cone to door etc etc. Everything, though hectic went better than I hoped for. But I am facing a new set of challenges:

1. There is a hiss in my tweeters. Adjusting gain reduced it. Now not so noticeable at low volume but gets louder on higher volumes. Additional info is that on silent input (like silent aux input) with volume turned all the way up I hear a faint radio channel along with the hiss. Possible problems I feel are that I did not scrape paint for amp ground. But I am also getting my remote signal from "Antenna amp on" output from stereo harness. Will check ground tomorrow but do you think the second factor could make a difference too? I have a nissan versa note sv 2014 btw. It does not have a remote dedicated output for amp.

2. This is the real problem I am dreading. Only the left channels (front and rear) are working on my amp (sony xplod 440-ex). I know inputs have signal since I checked them with voltmeter and switched them (left to right) to double check. Speakers are working too. The test signal of the amp is also registering only on the left channels. Volt meter reads output form amps left channels (front and rear) but does not show anything on right. Its just the right outputs of my amp that dont seem to be working. Am I wiring it wrong? I gave it four speaker level inputs and am taking out four out puts with each speaker connected to its separate slot independently. I got the amp used off of ebay. Are the right channels circuits of my amp fried? Any way to check this?

3. In case the amp right channels are fried can this work: The amp has a mono way of connecting too. Using the left speaker positive and right speakers negative. It says on the mono labelling "L+R". So can I connect both my front speakers from these two terminals (using the one front mono out) for front and same with rear (from rear mono)? If my right circuits are fried will that mean I loose the right frequencies permanently or will the mono setup be able to combine them? Also will the amp be able to support 2 of my speakers from one output in what is essentially a parallel circuit arrangement in mono? I tried figuring out the circuit diagrams for amp. They are available freely online but I dont know how to read them (used to in high school but cant anymore).

4. In case my right circuit is fried and I loose my right frequencys permanently from amp. Will shifting the balance all the way left in the radio make up for the loss (in mono amp arrangement) since it is essentially mono now at the source? Would really really appreciate your help.

Would really really appreciate your help.
You already checked that rcas are giving a signal, answer is yes. Checked if amp output on right has power, answer is no. Verdict- amp right channels are bad. If you are certain that right channels are dead, you can do the following. Using only the front rcas, connect Front Left rca to Front Left amp input, now connect Front Right rca to Rear Left amp input. Now bridge Left speakers to Front Left amp output. Finally bridge Right speakers to Rear Left amp output. Amp will see a 2 ohm load so it will put out it's safe rms in stereo mode.
This way you still have balance available.

You already checked that rcas are giving a signal, answer is yes. Checked if amp output on right has power, answer is no. Verdict- amp right channels are bad. If you are certain that right channels are dead, you can do the following. Using only the front rcas, connect Front Left rca to Front Left amp input, now connect Front Right rca to Rear Left amp input. Now bridge Left speakers to Front Left amp output. Finally bridge Right speakers to Rear Left amp output. Amp will see a 2 ohm load so it will put out it's safe rms in stereo mode.
This way you still have balance available.

Thank you for your quick response. I am trying to run 4 speakers that is the problem. Would 2 in the front left and 2 in the rear left output work? I mentioned my speakers and amp above in thread. Would the amp be able to handle this? Does bridging mean just connecting them kind of in parallel (2 speakers to 1 output)?

Does bridging mean just connecting them kind of in parallel (2 speakers to 1 output)?
Yes, that is exactly what I meant. I goofed up in my terminology, long hours leave you dain bramaged. According to the manual, the amp can handle a 2ohm load giving 50w rms per channel. So each speaker set will recieve 25w rns. Does not sound like alot but should suffice for the time being. Now be advised that those 6500s are 3ohm, so when paralleled with the others it will be a tad bit under 2ohms. I do not believe this will be an issue because impedence rises once power goes into the speakers.

Yes, that is exactly what I meant. I goofed up in my terminology, long hours leave you dain bramaged. According to the manual, the amp can handle a 2ohm load giving 50w rms per channel. So each speaker set will recieve 25w rns. Does not sound like alot but should suffice for the time being. Now be advised that those 6500s are 3ohm, so when paralleled with the others it will be a tad bit under 2ohms. I do not believe this will be an issue because impedence rises once power goes into the speakers.

Thank you for explaining. And you are good. I am just a noob so need it broken down for me. I will check the install in parallel. But have to deaden rear doors before I do that. I am guessing do a good job wiring and installing and if in the end i am not happy i can just chuck out the amp and replace and still be able to use all the effort I put in. One thing I was wondering. Is there a way to make a safety for the under 2 ohm scenario? like a lil resistor in series with the 6500s? Or does that not work and destroy the audio quality or something?

One more thing I am curious about. What if I connect 2 speakers in series rather than parallel? i guess that would make the resistance on one channel ~ 7 ohm? what effect on sound does that have?

Is there a way to make a safety for the under 2 ohm scenario? like a lil resistor in series
That is a good idea, a 1ohm resistor will bring it up to 4ohms. I have never heard of a scenario where a resistor ruined sound quality. Best teacher is real world application. Try it out, if it sounds bad undo it. I personally would not worry about the resistance, keep a ready hand at the amp to test for excessive heat.

Ok I did a little research. Seems that if I connect my amp in mono it drives 80 Watts per channel (@ 4 ohms). So considering that the minimum recommended rating is 4 ohm - if I connect my speakers in series (7 ohm each channel) would that give me roughly 40 watts per speaker? I have attached the manual for my amp for reference.

I also read up on attaching a resistor to bring resistance of the circuit up to desired level. Seems its an established thing called "protection". So I guess there is that but I would rather not spend money on a resistor, than find a spot to install it etc if I can get roughly 40 Watts from my speakers in series.

Attachments

• xm440ex.pdf
    4.8 MB · Views: 207
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.