fuse holder melted

the fuse holder melted becuz it was mounted or touching something hot, u see heat (like from an engine) gets really hot sometimes and can melt plastic or such things. yes u should get a new one, not sure where u can get just a fuse holder but it shouldnt be more than a few bucks.

yes get a new fuse holder. The reason it melted is because there is to much power going throught the fuse. which means the fuse is to big. u can an new one from about any car audio store.

my plastic inline fuse holder melted last night and fell apart. Can someone tell me why this happened and if i should just get a new one or if there is something wrong.
So where is this fuse holder located at in the engine compartment or what ?

Adam

yes get a new fuse holder. The reason it melted is because there is to much power going throught the fuse. which means the fuse is to big. u can an new one from about any car audio store.
Excuse me but if the power was so much that it made the fuse holder melt then it would have burnt the insulation right off the copper wire and possibly burned the car to the ground. If this fuseholder was not in the engine compartment then there could be a real problem that needs to be fixed. You may have copper exposed and touching metal and shorting out your system.

Adam //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/banghead.gif.8606515f668c74f6de0281deb475b6fd.gif :stuck:

Plastic inline fuseholders use a spring to push the contacts against the fuse. If the spring broke, or if you had tension on the wires, the contacts could have been making weak connection and result in high resistance. That'll make heat.

I never use those things for more than 10 amps.

my brother had 4 aguge power and gound wire. I was lightining audio and he had an 80 fuse in it. B/c he kept blowin fuses and he was goin down the highway and the music quit. He looked under the hood and his fuse holder mellted to the. like i said the fuse is too big.

- holla

my brother had 4 aguge power and gound wire. I was lightining audio and he had an 80 fuse in it. B/c he kept blowin fuses and he was goin down the highway and the music quit. He looked under the hood and his fuse holder mellted to the. like i said the fuse is too big.

- holla
Ok, but I was assuming if this wasn't an underhood fuseholder.

Adam

i'm guessing that the fuseholder is touching something hot under the hood. too much power is kinda a question. how much power r u running and what r the fuse ratings on ur amp?

If there was too much power, then something is severely wrong. The fuse holder should be capable of sustaining itself under load at it's largest capacity fuse. If it was above that capacity, the fuse should have blown.

My guess, near something hot. In *both* cases.

If there was too much power, then something is severely wrong. The fuse holder should be capable of sustaining itself under load at it's largest capacity fuse. If it was above that capacity, the fuse should have blown.My guess, near something hot. In *both* cases.
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif Exactly what I was thinking...... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

If there was too much power, then something is severely wrong. The fuse holder should be capable of sustaining itself under load at it's largest capacity fuse. If it was above that capacity, the fuse should have blown.My guess, near something hot. In *both* cases.
the wire can still heat up due to an overload, the fuse can handle it but the holder is prob a piece of sh, get a good one there worth it or the problems gonna keep happening. good luck!

The fail in this thread is strong...

Except for this answer:

Plastic inline fuseholders use a spring to push the contacts against the fuse. If the spring broke, or if you had tension on the wires, the contacts could have been making weak connection and result in high resistance. That'll make heat.

It was caused by either a bad connection at or inside the fuse holder.. a bad connection means an area of high resistance, and that will generate heat.. enough heat to melt the thing...

Anyone who tells you different doesn't have clue what that are talking about.. that is unless you had it sitting on top of you exhaust manifold..

The fail in thread is strong... Except for this answer:

It was caused by either a bad connection at or inside the fuse holder.. a bad connection means an area of high resistance, and that will generate heat.. enough heat to melt the thing...

Anyone who tells you different doesn't have clue what that are talking about.. that is unless you had it sitting on top of you exhaust manifold..
more like full of lulz //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.