First System...re-tuning at different shop??

Participant count
  • Participant list
yall sure do make a big to-do about setting the gain adjustment around here, like it is some kind of rocket science. Op. if your hu puts out 4 v and the gain switch is set to low, then yea, your gains will be less than halfway, probably around the 9 or 10 o'clock position. you can fine tune from there by ear using your fave song, and if you are still insecure, pull out the dmm and a test disk. sure in a few situations with extreme high power and a win or lose on the db meter,always use the test tones and dmmYour amp is gonna do what it will do and the speakers will take what they can, you attenuate the bass on the highs and sure, you can get a little more gain level, you boost the bass on the highs and you will have to lower the gain, if you plan to run full throttle. Same with the subs, you boost the bass, you will have the gain lower, you attenuate the bass, you can raise the gain a bit...

It all comes down to the same thing, the amp will only do x amount of power and that is it. period. If you need more, then you need more power and probably more cone area. The best thing to do is turn off the bass boost on the amp, set the HU eq, to flat, loud off, etc. and set the gains. From there you can make minute adjustments here and there to balance the sound. If you need excessive bass boost, you might need to re tune the box or get more power and/or cone area, or different subs that take the power. Sometimes it is simply which way the box is facing that can add or attenuate through cancellations.
I don't rely on just the DD-1. The next time I tune my system, I'm going to use the the DATS wt3 and do an imp sweep. Next I'll find the right freq between peak and dip freqs (or port and peak depending on which is better) and use that freq as the steady tone to adjust my gains (this will be the freq that is the best compromise for tuning my system for daily). I'll need it to be around -4 to -6 db, so I'll use Audacity to reduce (or boost) the track to where I need it. Next I'll set my H/U with the DD-1 to find my limitations (without setting the EQ flat. I don't listen to my EQ's flat so I won't adjust it like that). Next I'll use a DMM to adjust my gain and will double check to see if the signal is clipped with the DD-1 (and also listening for the buzzing sound from the amp). I may be able to increase output (or decrease) from this level. Once all is said and done, my amp and H/U should be set correctly and as accurately as possible. I also have the CC-1 to get my LPF, HPF, and subsonic filters as accurately adjusted as possible.

I don't rely on just the DD-1. The next time I tune my system, I'm going to use the the DATS wt3 and do an imp sweep. Next I'll find the right freq between peak and dip freqs (or port and peak depending on which is better) and use that freq as the steady tone to adjust my gains (this will be the freq that is the best compromise for tuning my system for daily). I'll need it to be around -4 to -6 db, so I'll use Audacity to reduce (or boost) the track to where I need it. Next I'll set my H/U with the DD-1 to find my limitations (without setting the EQ flat. I don't listen to my EQ's flat so I won't adjust it like that). Next I'll use a DMM to adjust my gain and will double check to see if the signal is clipped with the DD-1 (and also listening for the buzzing sound from the amp). I may be able to increase output (or decrease) from this level. Once all is said and done, my amp and H/U should be set correctly and as accurately as possible. I also have the CC-1 to get my LPF, HPF, and subsonic filters as accurately adjusted as possible.
yea, that is why I suggest using your favorite song, in your fav format since it will be the the amplitude and frequency ranges used most, but this can only be done by ear. ppl can't just say "use a 50hz tone at -5db " as a standard, since not all formats, boxes and subs are the same. 3/4 HU volume is sufficient enough to stay out of pre-amp clipping. I might sit in the truck for awhile with TruRTA and play with the eq and x-overs for shits and giggles to get a good blend if I am bored.

The primary differences between the two methods is that I do not compete and you do. I set my equipment to make my ears happy and you have to make a meter happy.

If you listen to bass boosted, slowed, chopped and screwed music like DECAF, Big Pimpin, DJ Slow N' Throw, etc, then you'll want to use either 0 db (to be totally safe) or the -5 db track. If you listen to normal recorded music from iTunes, CD's etc, then you'll want to use the -10 db (to be totally safe) or the -15 db track..
I tested the front stage with the tool using track 2. 1khz @ 0db. And the distortion light never came on even at 35/35.

Lol...honestly, I really wasn't trying to. I was just trying to clarify what the SMD DD-1 was. So in order to tell if my subs are clipping, the SMD DD-1 would do the trick?
Your thread has been hijacked and they have the ballz to accuse you of trolling? What a bunch of yo's.

This DD-1 gizzmo they speak of is an instrument that detects distortion. It could tell you if your sub amp is clipping. I use an oscilloscope for that, which I think is better. Most people can't detect sub clipping by ear until it gets really bad.

I tested the front stage with the tool using track 2. 1khz @ 0db. And the distortion light never came on even at 35/35.
Where are the EQ settings at on your H/U? If they are all the way down or even flat, it still might not max out your H/U at a lower volume. Which also means that your head unit isn't at its optimal output when the 0 db track is being played.

Your thread has been hijacked and they have the ballz to accuse you of trolling? What a bunch of yo's.
This DD-1 gizzmo they speak of is an instrument that detects distortion. It could tell you if your sub amp is clipping. I use an oscilloscope for that, which I think is better. Most people can't detect sub clipping by ear until it gets really bad.
With all the meade ball danglers out there, I figured he knew about the DD-1 product. I never said he was a troll. Lol There are many ways to set gains correctly.

Where are the EQ settings at on your H/U? If they are all the way down or even flat, it still might not max out your H/U at a lower volume. Which also means that your head unit isn't at its optimal output when the 0 db track is being played.
All EQs were flat yes. Volume was at max. I only set my EQs on my ipod. Because I only use my ipod.

yea, that is why I suggest using your favorite song, in your fav format since it will be the the amplitude and frequency ranges used most, but this can only be done by ear. ppl can't just say "use a 50hz tone at -5db " as a standard, since not all formats, boxes and subs are the same. 3/4 HU volume is sufficient enough to stay out of pre-amp clipping. I might sit in the truck for awhile with TruRTA and play with the eq and x-overs for shits and giggles to get a good blend if I am bored.
The primary differences between the two methods is that I do not compete and you do. I set my equipment to make my ears happy and you have to make a meter happy.
How would you set the gains using your fav song? Wouldn't the tone need to be steady in order to accurately adjust the input voltage?

Even setting the amp like that may not be the best freq(s) to set the gains. Lots of people tune way too low or too far from seal res/peak freq which will hinder output since each octave drops -24 db (ported enclosures) away from sealed res/peak freq.

All EQs were flat yes. Volume was at max. I only set my EQs on my ipod. Because I only use my ipod.
I would set the iPod to flat and use the H/U's EQ's. EQ's shouldn't be flat (unless you listen to your system with flat EQ's).

EDIT: The H/U should be better for adjusting your EQ's since the iPod has preset EQ's.

You could also run the EQ's on the iPod the way you like it and adjust the EQ's (Slightly) in the H/U.

I would set the iPod to flat and use the H/U's EQ's. EQ's shouldn't be flat (unless you listen to your system with flat EQ's).
I like me EQs set on my ipod because I mostly listen to music on my headphones (about 95%). And don't like the music on them sounding flat. And thats why I leave the EQs on my H/U flat. And just use the Ipods EQs. Especially because I switch a lot from metal to rap.

I like me EQs set on my ipod because I mostly listen to music on my headphones (about 95%). And don't like the music on them sounding flat. And thats why I leave the EQs on my H/U flat. And just use the Ipods EQs. Especially because I switch a lot from metal to rap.
I edited my last post.

EDIT: The H/U should be better for adjusting your EQ's since the iPod has preset EQ's.

You could also run the EQ's on the iPod the way you like it and adjust the EQ's (Slightly) in the H/U.
My eq stays on flat on everything lol

If I didn't have stock speakers and they were externally amplified then I would adjust it, but for now it works lol.
Yeah man, whatever makes YOU happy. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/peace.gif.2db28b618ed8d1964ebbe2f5021d2c39.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.