First System...re-tuning at different shop??

Participant count
  • Participant list

SuperNewbie90
10+ year member

Ok, here is my setup:

Car: 2001 Camry

Alt: Stock 90amps

Bat: Optima YellowTop

Head unit: Kenwood Excelon x396 w/ 4volt outs

Amp1 / Subs: Kicker 750.1 - 2 12inch L3's (400RMS each)

Amp2 / Speakers: Kicker 350.4 - 2 RS Series Comps for Front (100RMS each)

2 KS Series 6 x 9's for Rear (90RMS each)

Ok, I have no clue about car audio installation, but I am trying to learn things piece by piece...and I can only go by what the installer told me...I have no idea if its completely true though. Anyways, I recently decided to test the limits of my system and I CRANKED it. I've found out that my head unit distorts/clips at 27/35. Everything I have been reading though, has said the Excelon units usually don't distort till around 33. After that, I took a look at the amps (never really looked at em before) and I noticed that the gains on the 350.4 are not even halfway up. I was going to turn it up myself because I figured I could get a cleaner sound and louder volume...is that a BAD idea?...I actually, asked the installer about it and he kinda brushed me off and was like "yeah, yeah, yeah, everything is fine...i did it with a dmm." Never gave me any specific details. He did say that he set the amp to put out what its rated. Well, I looked at the birthsheet, and its in the 400RMS range. What gets me is that the gains on ch1/2 and ch2/3 are NOT even halfway. Should I get my system re-tuned at a different shop?...Btw, the install was done at BBY.

Well the gain control is not a volume control.

If you are getting distortion now it will likely only get worse if you turn them up more. Perhaps upgrading the speakers, wires, and electrical will net the result you are looking for.

Well the gain control is not a volume control.
If you are getting distortion now it will likely only get worse if you turn them up more. Perhaps upgrading the speakers, wires, and electrical will net the result you are looking for.
Hmm, well the speakers are **** near Kickers top-of-the-line...and I do know Kicker is def not a SQ brand, but I figured that I can get a better sound by having the whole system re-tuned. Also, all the wiring is Kicker. 1ga, 4ga, and 8ga. And when you say electrical, are you talking about the alt?...I specfically got the YellowTop so I wouldn't have to mess with the alt...I have NO dimming whatsoever. Btw, as far as upgrading goes...I have only had this system for a mere 2 months. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

Don't touch anything until you know exactly what you're doing and why.

What makes you think that the HU is distorting? What are you hearing that makes you think it's clipping? Lots of things could be interpreted as clipping. Your speakers could be hitting mechanical limits and cranking the gain could make it much worse.

Be aware that adding boost from the HU EQ will lower the volume at which it clips. With my JVC bass EQ at +3 it maxes out at 17/50 with a 0dB source. Have you tried setting the EQ flat with no loudness?

Don't touch anything until you know exactly what you're doing and why.
What makes you think that the HU is distorting? What are you hearing that makes you think it's clipping? Lots of things could be interpreted as clipping. Your speakers could be hitting mechanical limits and cranking the gain could make it much worse.

Be aware that adding boost from the HU EQ will lower the volume at which it clips. With my JVC bass EQ at +3 it maxes out at 17/50 with a 0dB source. Have you tried setting the EQ flat with no loudness?
Well, to be honest, I don't know why I think my HU is distorting...its probably because I've been reading that the Excelon units don't distort until you get around 33. Don't know if that's true for every unit though. And the settings on my headunit are as such:

Bass -2

Mid 0

Treble -1

Subwoofer - 0

Btw, I initially had my subs on -3. After a while, it seemed like they are getting softer...I assume that Im just getting used to the bass. Now I keep them on 0. When I crank to 27, are my subs clipping as well?...the sub amp gain is a little over halfway.

Again, you need to tell us exactly what you're hearing. What is it that you don't like?

Don't pay any attention to where the gain settings are, it's meaningless.

Again, you need to tell us exactly what you're hearing. What is it that you don't like?
Don't pay any attention to where the gain settings are, it's meaningless.
Ok, sorry about the lack of details...but when I get around 27, I hear what sounds like distortion from too much bass coming through the door and rear speakers. And actually, now that I think about it. I never thought to look at the HPF on the amp. Maybe that could be my issue there. I was actually working (i work at BBY) while the installer was working on my car, so I didn't get to hear it as he was tuning it.

Ok, sorry about the lack of details...but when I get around 27, I hear what sounds like distortion from too much bass coming through the door and rear speakers. And actually, now that I think about it. I never thought to look at the HPF on the amp. Maybe that could be my issue there. I was actually working (i work at BBY) while the installer was working on my car, so I didn't get to hear it as he was tuning it.
OK. So the next question is, "is it loud enough?". You seem determined to get the volume control to a higher level before distortion. What if 27 is simply the limits of your current setup and tuning? Can you live with that?

Yes, exactly. I would like a higher volume before distortion. But if 27 is all I can go up to, then that will have to do for now. Before I look elsewhere for speakers (probably gonna sell these), would you recommend I go somewhere else to have my system tuned?

Yes, exactly. I would like a higher volume before distortion. But if 27 is all I can go up to, then that will have to do for now. Before I look elsewhere for speakers (probably gonna sell these), would you recommend I go somewhere else to have my system tuned?
No. I'd suggest you figgure out the problem first, and maybe even fix it yourself.

By process of elimination - is it the speakers or HU.

If you set the HU EQ to flat with no loudness, does it make a difference? Can you reach a higher volume? The answer to that will dictate your next move.

No. I'd suggest you figgure out the problem first, and maybe even fix it yourself.
By process of elimination - is it the speakers or HU.

If you set the HU EQ to flat with no loudness, does it make a difference? Can you reach a higher volume? The answer to that will dictate your next move.
Hey!!! I figured out to achieve what I wanted. All I had to do was lower bass setting on the front and rear speakers. I could have sworn that I did that once I got it first installed, but...apparently not. I lowered the bass to about -5. Now, I can crank it to about 30/31...with NO distortion. I originally had some low end coming through the speakers, then I realized that was the woofers were for lol. One more question though, how can I tell if my woofers are clipping/distorting? Everyone always says that you can't detect clipping in a woofer. Is this true?

Ok, here is my setup:Car: 2001 Camry

Alt: Stock 90amps

Bat: Optima YellowTop

Head unit: Kenwood Excelon x396 w/ 4volt outs

Amp1 / Subs: Kicker 750.1 - 2 12inch L3's (400RMS each)

Amp2 / Speakers: Kicker 350.4 - 2 RS Series Comps for Front (100RMS each)

2 KS Series 6 x 9's for Rear (90RMS each)

Ok, I have no clue about car audio installation, but I am trying to learn things piece by piece...and I can only go by what the installer told me...I have no idea if its completely true though. Anyways, I recently decided to test the limits of my system and I CRANKED it. I've found out that my head unit distorts/clips at 27/35. Everything I have been reading though, has said the Excelon units usually don't distort till around 33. After that, I took a look at the amps (never really looked at em before) and I noticed that the gains on the 350.4 are not even halfway up. I was going to turn it up myself because I figured I could get a cleaner sound and louder volume...is that a BAD idea?...I actually, asked the installer about it and he kinda brushed me off and was like "yeah, yeah, yeah, everything is fine...i did it with a dmm." Never gave me any specific details. He did say that he set the amp to put out what its rated. Well, I looked at the birthsheet, and its in the 400RMS range. What gets me is that the gains on ch1/2 and ch2/3 are NOT even halfway. Should I get my system re-tuned at a different shop?...Btw, the install was done at BBY.
I hooked up the SMD DD-1 to my kenwood excelon x895. and It doesn't distort. Not even when its at 35/35

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.