First System...re-tuning at different shop??

Participant count
  • Participant list
Basically, if you set the H/U with a 0 db 40hz track, that is the loudest track and will max out the H/U's output at a lower volume level. Which also means that you have to set the gains really low to keep a clipped free signal. Normally recorded music's lower freqs are usually recorded around -24 - (-15) db. So you've set the gains too low and cannot boost the lower freqs to the full potential.
Setting the the H/U with a -15 db 40hz track means that the H/U isn't nearly at it's max and when you set the gain on the amp, you're setting it using a low level output so you'll have to compensate for it by cranking up the gain. When you play music that hasn't been bass boosted, this MAY be alright. If all you play is bass boosted, chopped and screwed music, this means that you are clipping the hell out of your signal since you had to compensate boosting a low level output. Bass boosted music usually clips around -6 - (-4) db (which is why the -5 db 40hz recorded track is best for use bassheads).

---------- Post added at 08:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 PM ----------

Yep, doesnt matter. The preout voltage will be the same between them.

EDIT: Just make sure the fader/balance is evenly balanced.
Ok. I will check my door speakers tomorrow with the 1khz tone to see if they distort.

Well. If I ever break these zv3s and get them fixed by psi to take more power. I will definitely be PMing you for advice on how to set the head unit and amp. You obviously understand it a lot!

So if my head unit on the 0db 40 hertz track. Doesn't distort at max volume. that means I am not maxing out my head unit?

Lol...honestly, I really wasn't trying to. I was just trying to clarify what the SMD DD-1 was. So in order to tell if my subs are clipping, the SMD DD-1 would do the trick?
Or an O-scope. But the SMD DD-1 from whats been said. Is supposed to be more accurate than an o-scope. And faster. and in most cases cheaper.

I would let you rent mine if you want. I've been thinking about making a post to rent it out on here.

Lol...honestly, I really wasn't trying to. I was just trying to clarify what the SMD DD-1 was. So in order to tell if my subs are clipping, the SMD DD-1 would do the trick?
Around here, you can't be too careful. Lol

That and an O-Scope. You could also set your gains using a DMM. Lots of ways to do it, even by ear if you know what to look/listen for. (Some amps you can hear a buzzing sound in a dead silent cab. That buzzing sound is the amp clipping the signal).

Around here, you can't be too careful. Lol
That and an O-Scope. You could also set your gains using a DMM. Lots of ways to do it, even by ear if you know what to look/listen for. (Some amps you can hear a buzzing sound in a dead silent cab. That buzzing sound is the amp clipping the signal).
GTFO. When I used the tool. I heard my amp making that buzzing sound. But its weird. I have never heard an amp make that sound before until I had the tool hooked up. In fact. As I started backing the gain down. The distortion light on the tool turned off. But amp was still buzzing very quietly. So I continued to back it off more until the buzzing was completely gone.

Ok. I will check my door speakers tomorrow with the 1khz tone to see if they distort.
Well. If I ever break these zv3s and get them fixed by psi to take more power. I will definitely be PMing you for advice on how to set the head unit and amp. You obviously understand it a lot!

So if my head unit on the 0db 40 hertz track. Doesn't distort at max volume. that means I am not maxing out my head unit?
Sure, I'll be more than happy to answer your questions.

Most likely it will clip the H/U. But like I said, since the H/U is maxed early and the amp gain is set low, when you play music, the bass will be on the quiet side.

GTFO. When I used the tool. I heard my amp making that buzzing sound. But its weird. I have never heard an amp make that sound before until I had the tool hooked up. In fact. As I started backing the gain down. The distortion light on the tool turned off. But amp was still buzzing very quietly. So I continued to back it off more until the buzzing was completely gone.
It's true, TalorFade can chime in on this one too, he's heard that buzzing sound as well. My D9's did it too.

EDIT: The reason why the DD-1 light went off before the buzzing sound did was because the DD-1 doesn't pick up soft clip (soft clip is totally fine btw).

Sure, I'll be more than happy to answer your questions.
Most likely it will clip the H/U. But like I said, since the H/U is maxed early and the amp gain is set low, when you play music, the bass will be on the quiet side.
But my head unit isn't maxed early. I turn it up to 35/35 for the volume. The distortion light never came on.

But my head unit isn't maxed early. I turn it up to 35/35 for the volume. The distortion light never came on.
Using the 0 db 40hz track right? If so, then you have an awesome H/U. The bass will still be on the quiet side though since you're using the 0 db track.

It's true, TalorFade can chime in on this one too, he's heard that buzzing sound as well. My D9's did it too.
EDIT: The reason why the DD-1 light went off before the buzzing sound did was because the DD-1 doesn't pick up soft clip (soft clip is totally fine btw).
Ohhh. Ok. So I am safe to trust the device completely with the distortion light. Well I would hook it up again and increase the gain a little...if my zv3s could handle it. But now I learned another piece of information. Soft buzzing = ok!

Ohhh. Ok. So I am safe to trust the device completely with the distortion light. Well I would hook it up again and increase the gain a little...if my zv3s could handle it. But now I learned another piece of information. Soft buzzing = ok!
Yep, but make sure you check with the DD'1 and clamp the amp to see what power it's making. The Z V.3's can handle 2.5k-3k of clean power daily, but not hours and hours of playing at that level though.

Yep, but make sure you check with the DD'1 and clamp the amp to see what power it's making. The Z V.3's can handle 2.5k-3k of clean power daily, but not hours and hours of playing at that level though.
It's a daily driver set up. And they definitely don't like it for too long. The dust caps get super hot.

Should I redo my head unit using the -5db track?

I posted a link to my car too

It's a daily driver set up. And they definitely don't like it for too long. The dust caps get super hot.

Should I redo my head unit using the -5db track?

I posted a link to my car too
If you listen to bass boosted, slowed, chopped and screwed music like DECAF, Big Pimpin, DJ Slow N' Throw, etc, then you'll want to use either 0 db (to be totally safe) or the -5 db track. If you listen to normal recorded music from iTunes, CD's etc, then you'll want to use the -10 db (to be totally safe) or the -15 db track..

yall sure do make a big to-do about setting the gain adjustment around here, like it is some kind of rocket science. Op. if your hu puts out 4 v and the gain switch is set to low, then yea, your gains will be less than halfway, probably around the 9 or 10 o'clock position. you can fine tune from there by ear using your fave song, and if you are still insecure, pull out the dmm and a test disk. sure in a few situations with extreme high power and a win or lose on the db meter,always use the test tones and dmm

Your amp is gonna do what it will do and the speakers will take what they can, you attenuate the bass on the highs and sure, you can get a little more gain level, you boost the bass on the highs and you will have to lower the gain, if you plan to run full throttle. Same with the subs, you boost the bass, you will have the gain lower, you attenuate the bass, you can raise the gain a bit...

It all comes down to the same thing, the amp will only do x amount of power and that is it. period. If you need more, then you need more power and probably more cone area. The best thing to do is turn off the bass boost on the amp, set the HU eq, to flat, loud off, etc. and set the gains. From there you can make minute adjustments here and there to balance the sound. If you need excessive bass boost, you might need to re tune the box or get more power and/or cone area, or different subs that take the power. Sometimes it is simply which way the box is facing that can add or attenuate through cancellations.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.